mtbr member

2003 Yeti Kokopelli thoughts?

Hola! While I don't consider myself a "beginner", it's been years since I've been on a mountain bike. I'm looking to get back into it and I came across this and wondered what you all think (I've already learned alot from lurking a while - thx). Great reviews from when it came out, but it IS an '03. Worth considering or not?

He's asking $1575. In '03, it looks like it could be had from $1200-1900 when it was on close-out when they discontinued it...

"2003 Yeti Kokopelli full suspension...:
    Manitou Black Super 80/100 front shock
    Fox Float L with lockout rear shock
    Truvativ Firex crank
    Shimano XTR Rear Derailer
    Shimano Deore LX Front Derailer & Shifters
    Avid disc brakes front & rear
    Upgraded to Thomson Elite 110/5, 1 1/8" Stem
    Shimano M520 pedals

I bought this bike new in 2003 and rode it on two short trips ... and [longer trips] twice. It has been in my basement since ... This is still a brand new bike with full tread left on the tires. I have all the original receipts and manuals and additional photos."

Attached Images Attached Images

He's asking too much for on '03 spec bike IMO. If the frame fits you, and you can beat him down on the price, i would definitely consider it.

mtbr member
    Sounds a bit steep to me for a 5 year old bike. Compare to a new bike in the $1600 range. You probably get the same quality for most components as 5 year old high tech is pretty much standard today.

If you really want a Yeti - then consider it. For a Yeti it is an attractive price. But I am partial to brands. After all this is a simple single pivot (so I consider the frame to be nothing special) and forks and shocks have made significant technical progress in the last 5 years.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I have the same bike-- in the same color!

I got it for about $1100 new in '03 so he's asking way too much. The fork is a POS, it lasted about 1 season before it started to make alot of noise and was replaced by a Fox 100x. Otherwise I absolutely love the ride and feel it's worth it to upgrade parts rather than get a new ride.

If you can talk him down to a more reasonable price, it is a great bike.