1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

2003 Specialized Epic Comp for $899 vs 2010 Kona Caldera $599

I was riding with my friend for the first time and liked it very much. I decided to purchase a bike. I'm not that familiar with mountain bike prices. Found used 2003 Specialized Epic Comp for $899 with these specs:

Frame: Large Specialized Epic Comp Full Suspension Mountain Bike
    Fork: Fox Float 100 RL fork
    Rear Shock: Float R shock
    Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes
    Deore LX front derailleur
    SRAM X-9 rear derailleur
    9.0 gripshift shifters
    Upgraded DT Swiss 420 SL rims (26") / Specialized hubs/tires
    RaceFace bars/stem/cranks
    WTB saddle
    NO PEDALS

Is that overpriced, normal price, or good deal?

I also I found:
    New 2010 Kona Caldera for $599

Frame: Kona All-Mountain Aluminum Butted
    Fork: RockShox Tora SL Solo 100mm
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
    Shifters: Shimano Deore
    Chainset: FSA Comet
    Chainrings: 44/32/22 tooth Chainrings
    Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo
    Cassette: Shimano HG50 (11-32, 9spd)
    Chain: KMC HG53
    Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless
    Front Brake: Shimano 575 Disc 7"
    Rear Brake: Shimano 575 Disc 6"
    Brake Levers: Shimano 575 Disc
    Handlebars: Kona XC/BC Riser (660mm Wide)
    Stem: Kona XC/BC
    Headset: TH
    Grips: Kona Race Light
    Rims: Alex DP17
    Front Hub: Formula Disc
    Rear Hub: Shimano M475 Disc
    Front Tyre: Kenda Komodo 26x2.1
    Rear Tyre: Kenda Komodo 26x2.1
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V Comp
    Seatpost: Kona XC/BC
    Seat Binder: Kona QR

Which one you think is better deal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dc0m; 01-20-2012 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    bump. One of the listings is ending in few hours. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You'd be much better off with the Kona if it has to be between the two of them. If you are buying sight unseen, I'd check out bikesdirect.com. Either way, the Spesh is terribly overpriced. I don't even think that was a $2k bike back then, definitely not worth $900 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This place is like high school, except the morons here don't get automatically put in stupid kid classes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssiegrist View Post
    You'd be much better off with the Kona if it has to be between the two of them. If you are buying sight unseen, I'd check out bikesdirect.com. Either way, the Spesh is terribly overpriced. I don't even think that was a $2k bike back then, definitely not worth $900 today.
    Thank you very much for info and advice. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Assume the fork and/or shock and/or drivetrain on the Epic need service. I would never buy a bike that old, especially FS, without being able to test it first. Could be a money pit. Overpriced at 10 years old (2003 models would have sold in 2002).

That is an OK price for the Kona. But again you're buying it sight-unseen. Do you know if it will fit? What size are you and what sizes are the bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    Assume the fork and/or shock and/or drivetrain on the Epic need service. I would never buy a bike that old, especially FS, without being able to test it first. Could be a money pit. Overpriced at 10 years old (2003 models would have sold in 2002).

That is an OK price for the Kona. But again you're buying it sight-unseen. Do you know if it will fit? What size are you and what sizes are the bikes?
    Thanks for your response.

I'm 6 foot tall, 195 pounds. Kona is 20-inch and Epic is listed as Large. I believe both are the correct size for me?

Demon Cleaner
    As others have said, a lot depends on the condition of the front fork and rear shock. If the Epic had "perfect" shocks and an excellent drivetrain it might be even be a "good" (ish) deal. However, chances are it'll need work on some of those and potentially a lot. You could easily spend the entire purchase price all over again fix/replacing the squishy bits.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    i just picked up a new kona caldera off ebay for 599 shipped, seems like a great bike and i couldnt pass up the price....been out of biking a few years, but missed my jamis bikes i sold back in 2009....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaCalderaXC View Post
    i just picked up a new kona caldera off ebay for 599 shipped, seems like a great bike and i couldnt pass up the price....been out of biking a few years, but missed my jamis bikes i sold back in 2009....
    Haha, that is the one I was looking to buy. You beat me to it. Hope you enjoy it. I ended up buying Kona Dawg Deluxe 2008 for $1.000. It should be here tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dc0m View Post
    Haha, that is the one I was looking to buy. You beat me to it. Hope you enjoy it. I ended up buying Kona Dawg Deluxe 2008 for $1.000. It should be here tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get it.
    i was wondering that..........i have just been leisurely looking around for the last few months, but when i can across that at that price point i just clicked the buy it now without even a 2nd thought. lol. ...it should be a fun spring/summer with it..........enjoy yours as well........... wifes bike gets here tomorrow too!