1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

2003 khs fxt rage

i bought a used 2003 fxt rage a little while ago and want to upgrade some compnents and suspension set ups but dont know too much about the bike (headset size, steer tube, etc.) where can i get some information on what upgrades would work and what wont work? thanks

No good in rock gardens..
    Here's what Bikepedia says it had when new.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...Rage&Type=bike

It's a regular 1 1/8" threadless fork, like most still in use. So headset, fork, stem etc are all easy to source for that bike.

It just depends how far you want to go with upgrading - for example going from the 7spd setup to 8spd or 9spd can be expensive as you need new cogs, shifters, perhaps rear hub and wheel build, maybe derailleurs etc.

Same goes for brakes if you want to go from V's to discs - gets a bit expensive.

But a simple fork upgrade is easy enough, and you should be able to find a rear shock of the correct length if need be too.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....