mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2002 Redline Monocog

200 bucks. Pretty decent condition. Upgrades are listed - Kalloy seatpost that is correct for frame( it was common for these bikes to be spec'd with wrong size post from factory) , brand new Wilderness Trail bikes SST seat, Nashbar clipless pedals, Diacompe brake levers, A nice large Specialized Adrenalin front tire, IRC Mythos kelvar bead rear tire, and a Surly 32 tooth stainless steel front chainring.

good deal?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone?

Fat-tired Roadie
    None of those are upgrades. Maintenance and lateral changes, maybe, but I hate the way people think any change from OEM is an upgrade.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...+Cog&Type=bike

Used bikes are worth what the buyer and seller agree they are. That seems pretty steep to me, though. You're also pretty committed to riding that bike as a singlespeed with V-brakes - not a bad setup, necessarily, but not a great first bike either.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    None of those are upgrades. Maintenance and lateral changes, maybe, but I hate the way people think any change from OEM is an upgrade.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...+Cog&Type=bike

Used bikes are worth what the buyer and seller agree they are. That seems pretty steep to me, though. You're also pretty committed to riding that bike as a singlespeed with V-brakes - not a bad setup, necessarily, but not a great first bike either.
    Thanks for the input. A singlespeed with v's are fine with what I ride. I only have one trail in town, and I'm dying to get out there on something else other then my commuter. Its mostly extremely mild singletrack with a couple jumps, and ttf's. I thought 200 was steep too but wanted another opinion.

Former Bike Wrench
    The only thing I don't like on the older Monocog's is the 110mm rear hub spacing (BMX width)... otherwise solid bike.

mtbr member
    I almost bought a monocog, as a first bike. I ended up with 21 speed. Now I have an understanding as why I need the gears. I change them every time I go up hill/down hill. I'd love to try a monocog one day but for now I think gears are what I need.
    Started in 2011, Noob Rider - Live & ride in Steiner Ranch- I ride slow- @ 6-11mph, uphills@2-3mph.