1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2002 Redline Monocog

200 bucks. Pretty decent condition. Upgrades are listed - Kalloy seatpost that is correct for frame( it was common for these bikes to be spec'd with wrong size post from factory) , brand new Wilderness Trail bikes SST seat, Nashbar clipless pedals, Diacompe brake levers, A nice large Specialized Adrenalin front tire, IRC Mythos kelvar bead rear tire, and a Surly 32 tooth stainless steel front chainring.

good deal?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anyone?

Fat-tired Roadie
    None of those are upgrades. Maintenance and lateral changes, maybe, but I hate the way people think any change from OEM is an upgrade.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...+Cog&Type=bike

Used bikes are worth what the buyer and seller agree they are. That seems pretty steep to me, though. You're also pretty committed to riding that bike as a singlespeed with V-brakes - not a bad setup, necessarily, but not a great first bike either.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    None of those are upgrades. Maintenance and lateral changes, maybe, but I hate the way people think any change from OEM is an upgrade.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QUICKBIKE/B...+Cog&Type=bike

Used bikes are worth what the buyer and seller agree they are. That seems pretty steep to me, though. You're also pretty committed to riding that bike as a singlespeed with V-brakes - not a bad setup, necessarily, but not a great first bike either.
    Thanks for the input. A singlespeed with v's are fine with what I ride. I only have one trail in town, and I'm dying to get out there on something else other then my commuter. Its mostly extremely mild singletrack with a couple jumps, and ttf's. I thought 200 was steep too but wanted another opinion.

Former Bike Wrench
    The only thing I don't like on the older Monocog's is the 110mm rear hub spacing (BMX width)... otherwise solid bike.

mtbr member
    I almost bought a monocog, as a first bike. I ended up with 21 speed. Now I have an understanding as why I need the gears. I change them every time I go up hill/down hill. I'd love to try a monocog one day but for now I think gears are what I need.
    Started in 2011, Noob Rider - Live & ride in Steiner Ranch- I ride slow- @ 6-11mph, uphills@2-3mph.