1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

2002 K2 Flying Monkey

Any ideas on what I should be paying for one in good condition? Is it worth my money, being 7 years old?

There's no app for this.

thoughts...

the life of a Mtn bike is ~ 5 years. The K2 is older. Regardless of shape, you probably cannot get parts for the fork, and you don't say if it even works.

New it was $1049.00 MSRP, I'd say if the fork works.... maybe $300 tops. If not, $1-200 as you will need a new fork with 4" travel, and that will be a bit costly. the rest including brakes will be fine.

Just my .02, Jim

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...nkey&Type=bike

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was just looking at one of these listed at $125.. But it def needed alot of work.. All drive components were rusted to crap, and the fork def looked like it had seen better days. I thought at that price it was a good start.. I would have had to buy a new fork, but that would have prob been the most expensive pie ce.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    good to know. The fork looks in decent condition. it compress evenly and doesn't bounce back too hard. I didn't see any leaking oil. Going to take a second look this afternoon. thanks for the info.

also do you think I need to be worried about metal fatigue?

Former Bike Wrench
    Yea, the fork is going to be the issue...especially the 2002 Black which was kind of unreliable. The Black got better in 2003 but there really aren't much for parts available. Also, it is a "jump" bike...but if its been jumped a lot, you'll see evidence of crashes on the bike (lots of scratches, dents, etc.). If you see this, not worth it.