1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

2002 gaint rainier

found a 2002 giant rainer, on craigslist for 50.00, talked him down to 45.00

plus it helped me being there and checking it out. it looks like it was riden the crap out of it. my main reason to purchase the bike was for the spare deore parts that look to be in good shape, after cleaning. also the bike has its stock mazochi fork, ive dont some light searching on here and googling, it seems to be a good fork, any other have had or used this fork ? the last reason i wanted is it had avid bb7 disk brakes on it, and that to me was more then worth the 45.00 bucks.

i guess just asking was it worth purchasing for those components alone, ive already have a buyer lined up for the frame, he was willing to buy the bare frame for 50.00
    so i dont feel it was a complete loss lol.

any comments would be helpful

backwoods and backwards
    Picking up a used bike in hopes of using the drivetrain parts is kind of a gamble. If they're working well, try to keep them together as a group. Mixing and matching used stuff together doesn't always go well.

The fork again might be dodgy...base model stuff today is way better than base model stuff from 10 years ago. Probably expect to need new seals and oil.

The BB7s should be fine...just blow out the dust and slip in new pads.
    Live the life you love!

Dissolved member
    It is a very fun bike. My wife has one from 2007 or so and with a 120mm fork, it is a blast to ride once you get rid of the OEM heavy wire bead tires. The OEM Marzocchi fork on hers was a POS though, it started leaking oil couple years ago. Service manuals do not exist and they are not meant to be serviced but thrown away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like you got a good deal. I'd say if the brakes still work you made out pretty good, and your making 5bucks off the frame. You might wana service them forks. Takem apart, cleanem up, change fluid/grease and readjust them or sell them for 50 bucks and be up $55 !

mtbr member
    Well i did service it, there werent any leakage, the seller stated the fork was bad, but it didnt have any air, that fixed that issue.

The rear derailler is in good shape, cleaned that up really well.

The brakes i have only installed them no tests yet.

Here some pics of the frame i am using rhe drive train for.

I will need a new chain lol. Its a learning experience for me.

I will say the marcochi is better then no fork.

2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350352975.318497.jpg2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350353115.400802.jpg2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350353130.053612.jpg2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350353152.301489.jpg2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350353189.758200.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2002 gaint rainier-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350353024.509193.jpg  

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Tyvm, ill give u rep when im home :-)

backwoods and backwards
    Don't want to be all negative, but that repair on the right side of the frame at the shock mount jumps out at me. Have you had a shop look at it?

You'll also need to cut the excess seatpost off when you're done building it up
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member

seat and shock

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Don't want to be all negative, but that repair on the right side of the frame at the shock mount jumps out at me. Have you had a shop look at it?

You'll also need to cut the excess seatpost off when you're done building it up
    well i bought the frame from my LBS " which is an hour and half away" they are the closes. so i feel comfortable with it.only paid 50 for it.

as per the seat post, yea i put it on like that just so i could mount it to my work bench.
    in no way am i done with it. just was excited abit to see it comming along.