1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2002 Enduro New Parts help

Hey all,

I bought a 2002 Enduro FSR Expert on pinkbike recently and the guy didn't tell me the brakes were busted. The front brakes worked fine but when I brought the bike in to my LBS to have the back brakes bled, I was told they couldn't be fixed. They are an old set of hayes brakes.

Anyway can anyone recommend some decent hydraulic breaks to put on this thing? Also if anyone recognizes the front fork, mind telling me what it is? Any help to bring this bike to life would be awesome.

Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Any hydraulic brake that isn't made by Tektro would be fine, it really depends on your preferences and budget. My personal preference lies with Shimano for hydraulic disc brakes.

Fork looks to be a Manitou SX LT, though if it is the stock fork just look up the bike on bikpedia.com and find out what was supposed to come on it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The original fork was supposed to be Manitou Black Elite, how do these compare to the sx lt? They seem fine to me but I haven't done any trail riding on it yet.

Where do people normally buy bike parts. None of my LBS have parts on display, do they order parts when they do repairs. Any online retailers that you recommend?

Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridtracer View Post
    The original fork was supposed to be Manitou Black Elite, how do these compare to the sx lt? They seem fine to me but I haven't done any trail riding on it yet.

Where do people normally buy bike parts. None of my LBS have parts on display, do they order parts when they do repairs. Any online retailers that you recommend?

Thanks
    I don't really know how they compare, if they work then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Your LBS will order parts for you, most can get nearly any part you could hope for within about a week. Just talk to them and they'll give you an idea of what they can get and when it would come in.

There aren't any online retailers that I support too closely. I've had very good experiences with Backcountry.com (a local company for me) and have ordered from hucknroll.com (Backcountry's mountain bike arm) with no issues at all. I have also dealt with Jenson and Price Point both with no complaints. The big thing you need to know when you're buying online is that you make sure you know exactly what you're buying. You need to know that you've properly identified all the options and details and that they'll work with your bike.

We're pretty spoiled here in my area, it's rare that one of the two dozen or so bike shops in the area won't have something especially when go-ride and hucknroll are both local. With that kind of selection available locally, I rarely have to reach out to the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone know what I can expect to pay for some decent new brakes and the work to put them on?

mtbr member
    When the seals died on the hyrdo brakes on my old bike a couple years ago, the LBS talked me in to putting on Avid BB7 mechanicals on the rear. They could use the same rotors, so I didn't have to replace that.

Way cheaper than replacing the seals or getting new hydro parts, and on the back, they do the job just fine. I'm glad I went that route. I think it was about $70 (vs $200+ for new hydros, as I recall).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Picture Unrelated
    Anyone know what I can expect to pay for some decent new brakes and the work to put them on?
    I've heard the Google might have the answers you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well I have an idea for price of brakes but not how much a bike shop charges for the work, and if its cheaper when the LBS orders the brakes vs me bringing in the part. That is why I ask.

Picture Unrelated
    Well I have an idea for price of brakes but not how much a bike shop charges for the work, and if its cheaper when the LBS orders the brakes vs me bringing in the part. That is why I ask.
    You'd have to call the shop, they'll give you that exact answer very quickly. Sorry for being curt, but every single shop is different in how they approach things. Unless you happened by accident to run into someone who just asked this question to the exact bike shop that you are planning on using, your answer could vary as much as $50 one way or the other.

One thing I just noticed is that you need to check what brake rotors your bike is using. Do you have 6 bolts attaching your rotor to the bike or do you have 4 (or, not likely, do you have some other method of attaching rotors)? 4 bolts spells some difficulty, 6 is easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm not sure, it's at the bike shop now, I'll give them a call when I'm out of work.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm not sure, it's at the bike shop now, I'll give them a call when I'm out of work.
    Pick a price range and tell the bike shop to order your some brakes.