1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

2001 Trek 4300 on craigslist

im new to MTB's and im looking for a good baseline MTB that i can do some trail riding on and hopefully upgrade some components along the way. I found a 2001 trek 4300 that looks to be in good condition for $180 do you think thats a fair price. I know i looked at the new 4300 and its $459 at our LBS is there going to be a major difference besides the front fork (weight mainly)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a 15" one of those with the orange paint job. Honestly, it wasn't a bad bike but I did outclass it relatively quickly. My buddy has it now; it's almost dead because I bent the dropout of the frame.

It did handle the easy/intermediate trails at marquette mountain in Michigan though.

I paid $100 through a buddy's store he manages, used.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you are looking for a starter bike, i would start with it, offer $150 and go from there. No point in spending $450+ on a crappy starter bike, when you can get a crappy starter bike for $150, because you will outgrow it.

mtbr member
    would it be worthwhile to update the fork and wheels, i really like hardtails.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Not as horrible price, not a steal either. any respecable bike that rolls is worth $100. I found an '05 Gary Fisher Tassajara for $280. the thing had liek 25 miles of sidewalk on it.

It's also a very basic bike. some would say not even a real mountain bike. the new ones at least do not come equiped with decent trail tires, but some funky hybrid of mountain and path tread.

If it fit's and it's all you can afford it will work to get you on teh trails but a beter bike will be smoother and last longer. That biek is pretty much not worth upgrading. It woudl be best served as an intro to trail for ayear proove good bike neccessity, Then spend a grand on a real bike and turn the 4300 into a utility bike. That's the long term vision for my wifes 4500 from 2 years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you have money to upgrade, look around and find a bike that is already upgraded, i sold a 07 Specialized Hardrock with upgraded drivetrain and wheels and disc brakes for $375. seach CL and ebay. also check your PMs