1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2000 Cannondale Super V 400

Hi all- I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Super V 400 (specs)(also has new Jones ASX tires) and am wondering if it is worth it or not. I have a few questions:

1) What is it worth? I can get it for $500
    2) I currently have a 2006 Motobecane 500HT with stock specs that can be found here. Will this be much of an upgrade because the technology is older on the 2001 bike?

Thoughts?

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited by life_generalist; 04-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Even if you didn't have a bike, I would say half off for a 10 year old bike is a pretty poor deal...

I'd stick with the Motobecane, and save up your money for an actual upgrade.
    The Trail Bike: 2009 Salsa Big Mama

The Race Bike: 2010 Niner Jet 9

mtbr member
    May 2005
    the hot ticket is to take your motobecane build and your 500 to an appropriate used frame.

find a used Anthem for 500 and put all your parts on. you'll be singing.