1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2 different styles , cant decide

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eride_bike.jpg
    &

my exertion is ...
    i used to ride a bmx 2 years ago , and i stopped when i broke my leg )
    so the second pic with a hard tail bike makes me feel like it's some kind of bmx but better ( IMHO , dont hit me) , and perfect for city extreme . but , the first one , is with back and front suspensions , and , i kind of really want to have it , maybe cause of exploring new kind of riding style .
    mostly im in the city , but i dont care much if the bike isn't completely urban match !
    can somebody please point me to the right direction? i'm like a girl in shoes store , i dont really know what i want , but i def know that i want something

p.s
    i hope the first pic isn't a DH bike . ( i was looking for free ride)
    Last edited by subwoffer13; 11-28-2012 at 04:35 PM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    #2 for BMX type jumping/stunts etc is great and great for urban riding. Not sure if it'll make a good commuter bike though. It's really meant to be a dirtjump bike.

#1 is more for DH/FR but with a good rear shock (i.e. with lockout) will be OK. But remember, this bike will be a goof bit heaver than #2 and will likely take more effort to ride if you ever want to go trail biking.

mtbr member
    If you live in the city, I would lean towards a hardtail. There isn't much you're going to find where 7 or 8 inches of rear suspension will be necessary. Get a dirt jump style hardtail and ride like this

Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009 - YouTube

And this...

Danny Macaskill - Industrial Revolutions - YouTube

If you need more help pinning down a specific bike tell us more about your budget (be realistic here) and your intended riding style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i wonder if it's possible to go offroading with the second one (probably not on crazy terrain as DH)but at least some of it , because im trying not to limit myself .
    kinda trying to kill 2 birds with one rock here , at least as much as i can , i know there's no perfect solution ( only if i'll buy both ^^, what i can't actually do )

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    If you live in the city, I would lean towards a hardtail. There isn't much you're going to find where 7 or 8 inches of rear suspension will be necessary. Get a dirt jump style hardtail and ride like this

Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009 - YouTube

And this...

Danny Macaskill - Industrial Revolutions - YouTube

If you need more help pinning down a specific bike tell us more about your budget (be realistic here) and your intended riding style.

thanks for reply . hmm , i live in the city , but cities in israel is like your hoods , so to get offroad is not much of a problem
    let me check your videos , and we'll proceed with my exertion

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i just noticed that the guy on the video has slightly different bike type . no front suspension , and single speed . so , how's the hard front and "soft" front is affects the riding? it's probably way harder to bunny hop with front suspension , right ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    These guys ship to you.
    .Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29
    The 7.9 has great geo and seatstay compliance in an aluminum frame. The carbon version is even better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Yes you could ride the second bike on trails. It's just a hardtail bike with a long travel front fork.

And you're right. Danny's bike has no suspension and its single speed. The reason he has his bike set up that way is it gives him more control when he does his tricks. I just posted the videos to show you that you can have a lot of fun on a hardtail in an urban environment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    These guys ship to you.
    .Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29
    The 7.9 has great geo and seatstay compliance in an aluminum frame. The carbon version is even better.

sorry this is far from my bike expectations

anyways , can you guys help me pick the right one ? ( second pic style , hard tail long travel fork)

im 1.84 m height (76 Kg) , budget : 2000 $ ( but i don't think this will help you in someway because prices in israel are high as f*ck ) just help me with brand names and size i need , and i'll search on second hand market ( yes , it's probably going to cost around 2000 $ second hand )

ps

what is the brand of the second picture bike ? i would like to have one exactly like this

pss

can somebody link me with some videos with this bike ?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoffer13 View Post
    sorry this is far from my bike expectations

anyways , can you guys help me pick the right one ? ( second pic style , hard tail long travel fork)

im 1.84 m height (76 Kg) , budget : 2000 $ ( but i don't think this will help you in someway because prices in israel are high as f*ck ) just help me with brand names and size i need , and i'll search on second hand market ( yes , it's probably going to cost around 2000 $ second hand )

ps

what is the brand of the second picture bike ? i would like to have one exactly like this

pss

can somebody link me with some videos with this bike ?
    Sounds like you'll fit an L or XL frame (19"-21" frame)....most likely an L

Not exactly the 2nd bike but check out these urban bikes that fit the bill.

from Specialized
    Specialized Bicycle Components

from Giant
    STP SS (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Santa Cruz
    Santa Cruz Bicycles JACKAL

Diamondback
    Diamondback Bicycles - Dirt Jumper

....there's more too....keep looking till you find one you like.

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    found this
    Extreme MTB Stunts!!! - YouTube
    i guess this is the only tricks you can do on this one . it's like flat land ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    #2 Hardtail

I'm a huge fan of Full Suspension bikes (FS / bikes with front and back shocks) but you really want notice much riding in the city...Unless maybe you're an extra heavy dud like me lol As others have mentioned, #1 is more for Down Hill racing as well.

Now since you plan on doing a lot of city riding, I highly recommend Maxxis Holly Roller tires! The Maxxis Holly Rollers are designed for Urban usage but can handle hard pack trails no problem! I run a set on one of my bikes and ride all over downtown Dallas as well as trail riding 5 days a week. The other day I hoped off Katey trail into a vacant lot exploring and never thought twice about whether or not my tires could handle it. Their the perfect city/trail mix tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    im still confused because you're answering different question :\

the second bike , is practically for just . . . RIDING ? because i didnt see any kind of urban extreme videos with this one , and if it's about the trails and offroad it's sure be better with full suspension .

p.s
    and i mentioned my weight

banned
    Sep 2012
    Here's a video from one of our MTBR members (Dion). Does this help?

My 3rd Day of Trials on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Here's a video from one of our MTBR members (Dion). Does this help?

My 3rd Day of Trials on Vimeo
    Trials bikes suck for riding around on... they really aren't meant for that.

I'm a flatland BMX'er. In terms of MTB, I'm not a beginner. I race XC and ride about 300 miles a month 99% on mtb trails. I only live 3 miles away from the trails, so I don't have the problem the OP does, but...

If I lived in the city, I would have a dirt jump bike. Single speed or lightly geared (like a 1X9 set-up) and definitely a hardtail. You can get a freeride hardtail like a TransAm or Chameleon which are great all-around/all-mountain hardtails. Personally, for trail riding, I ride an On-One 456, which I absolutely love. For the trails, it's like butter. For messing around on urban stuff, it manuals, bunnyhops and does pedal-offs with ease. I have a lot of bikes, but this is the "go-to" bike for trail riding. Lower the seat, it rocks on pump tracks and dirt jumps. I have other bikes for cyclocross and XC.

If you're BMX influenced, I would definitely stay away from XC geometry. You will become bored very quickly and even hopping off a curb sucks. They climb well and are fast, but that's what they're built for.

This is my bike. If you're an OG BMX'er like me, you will appreciate the Club Home Boy stickers.

2 different styles , cant decide-img_0331.jpg

mtbr member
    Maybe look at an all mountain inspired hardtail 26er... Light enough to kick, hop and flick around (after dropping the seat way way down) but aggressive enough head angle and travel on the front to deal with steep fast trails and will still climb well for those XC type situations.

just and idea.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I like Canyon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    im still confused because you're answering different question :\

the second bike , is practically for just . . . RIDING ? because i didnt see any kind of urban extreme videos with this one , and if it's about the trails and offroad it's sure be better with full suspension .

p.s
    and i mentioned my weight
    The confusion comes from the original question...it's very broad and should be more focused. What is the purpose or intended use of said bike?

You can use either one for mtb and or street use, I tool around downtown all the time on my XC bike. I'm about to switch to an All Mountain bike (similar to #1)

Anyhow,

#1 = Aggressive offroading with some road riding.

#2 = Urban with some trail riding.

The weight reference is referring to my Clydesdale status. I weight 275lbs. So my FS helps cushion things better road biking vs someone weighing 180-220lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

If you're BMX influenced, I would definitely stay away from XC geometry. You will become bored very quickly and even hopping off a curb sucks. They climb well and are fast, but that's what they're built for.
    ]
    Agreed,

I'll tool around town with my XC bike sometimes but it's really boring coming from a BMX background. I can pop a small wheelie which come in handy for curves but can't bunny hop the thing which sucks. Anyhow, I really need to get something closer to what you got (or option #2) for screwing around town.

mtbr member
    Dude go with the DJ bike in the 2nd pic. I LOVE my DJ bike for urban riding and commuting it is a bast, and yes you can do trail riding on it, I park my mtb and ride the DJ once a week.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I'm going to stick around and watch as the OP ends up picking the wrong bike - the one that everyone advises not to buy...

heh heh.....

-S

mtbr member
    I'm going to stick around and watch as the OP ends up picking the wrong bike - the one that everyone advises not to buy...

heh heh.....

-S
    I know right. Could imagine trying to ride urban on a DH/FR bike?!?!? Trying to pedal that thing would be horrible.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    I know right. Could imagine trying to ride urban on a DH/FR bike?!?!? Trying to pedal that thing would be horrible.

yeah.... especially when the OP is in Israel (I think). Bat Yam is what... 20+ miles from Gaza? You gotta get a bike that can outrun the incoming Hamas rockets. .....come to think of it FS may not be a bad idea for that hood....

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yeah.... especially when the OP is in Israel (I think). Bat Yam is what... 20+ miles from Gaza? You gotta get a bike that can outrun the incoming Hamas rockets. .....come to think of it FS may not be a bad idea for that hood....

-S

hahahaha dude , you made me laugh ^_^ it is 30 miles from gaza , but lets stay positive , this is the last thing im worried about right now , haha ( dont let the media fool you , the whole " war" is about 100 missiles being shot out of gaza ( 90 of them stopped by our anti-missiles machines , and for every rocket israel attacks with aircraft hamas strategic positions)
    in the matter of fact , me as a citizen , giving 0 f*cks about it , as many of us

so, please lets stay on the topic subject

anyways , according to your comments guys ( witch im thankful for )
    i'm thinking right now about the single speed hard front and tail . because....yes... im influenced by bmx , and i dont want to crush my expectations . both of the bikes i've picked were cool looking , and seemed awesome to ride ( in my imagination ) but i need to stick with the reality . my licence are suspended right now and i'm not gonna get much chances to go trailing around the country , so . . . my new question is , how the single speed and 9X1 setup for example will affect my "stunt riding" . when i had my bmx i used to ride it to other town to my GF , witch is 3 miles away(well i had my reasons to do that ^_^ ) , with a tent and other stuff on me , so it's not that bad , but i would love to have some gears on , as long as it's not like , too much difference .

banned
    Sep 2012
    hahahaha dude , you made me laugh ^_^ it is 30 miles from gaza , but lets stay positive , this is the last thing im worried about right now , haha ( dont let the media fool you , the whole " war" is about 100 missiles being shot out of gaza ( 90 of them stopped by our anti-missiles machines , and for every rocket israel attacks with aircraft hamas strategic positions)
    in the matter of fact , me as a citizen , giving 0 f*cks about it , as many of us

so, please lets stay on the topic subject

anyways , according to your comments guys ( witch im thankful for )
    i'm thinking right now about the single speed hard front and tail . because....yes... im influenced by bmx , and i dont want to crush my expectations . both of the bikes i've picked were cool looking , and seemed awesome to ride ( in my imagination ) but i need to stick with the reality . my licence are suspended right now and i'm not gonna get much chances to go trailing around the country , so . . . my new question is , how the single speed and 9X1 setup for example will affect my "stunt riding" . when i had my bmx i used to ride it to other town to my GF , witch is 3 miles away(well i had my reasons to do that ^_^ ) , with a tent and other stuff on me , so it's not that bad , but i would love to have some gears on , as long as it's not like , too much difference .
    Great to see you take it in good humor. I like you guys - I was trained by some IDF armor guys while I was in the military, and the guys were great.

I think the bottom line is to find a bike that you like. In your case, the scaled-up BMX bikes like the Specialized P series probably fits what you want best.

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-30-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast