1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2 Bolt Seatposts?

Well, Im looking for a new seatpost for my bike. I see alot of these 2 bolt style. Will those work with regular rail seats fine? Right now my bike just has the straight shaft seatpost. Will I need to buy new seat mounting hardware?

T.W.O.
    nope, it's fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And is 31.6mm basically the standard tube diameter? That's about 1 1/4 inches, and I measured my post diameter and it's only about 1 inch in diameter. Or am I measuring it wrong?

T.W.O.
    standard? not really one of the popular one yes. The other is 27.2, 28.6, 30.9. Make sure you get the right one.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It should have the size etched into the post down near the bottom somewhere. They come in all sorts of sizes. 31.6 is a common size. That along with 30.9 and 27.2 are probably the most common sizes, but you should always know exactly what size you need, lest you damage the top of the seat tube from running the wrong size.

For instance, a lot of bikes run 30.9, but some use a 30.8, even from the same manufacturer that also makes frames that take a 30.9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah ok, I have a 27.2 I was measuring it correctly.