1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which bike would you choose

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2014 Crave expert

11 84.62%
  • 2014 Rockhopper Comp

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2 bikes which would you choose and why? Im purchasing one of these bikes this friday.

Hello complete "noob" here. In the market for my first non BMX style bike. I am looking for a bike to commute to work sometimes ride around town for errands ride to the gym and trails on saturday mornings.

I am the type of person when i get into a new hobby that i like i have to have the best of the best within my budget. But thats neither here nor their. What i am looking for is some suggestions out of these 2 bikes whats the best deal. Thank you for your time..

LBS price
    2014 crave expert 1650.00
    2014 Rockhopper comp 1050
    2013 crave expert 1600
    2013 Rockhoper 1000

Link to specs

Specialized Bicycle Components

I didn't do it
    I think either of these would be fine. Have you ridden any of them? That should be the most important thing to do before making your decision. Try them out and pick the one that feels the most comfortable to you. Take your time and don't get locked into buying this friday if you're having any doubts. There could be other bikes worth checking out as well.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    The Crave and Rockhopper have almost identical geometry. If one fits so will the other. The difference is in the quality of the frame and the components. If you can afford it get the Crave. The fork alone is worth it.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First thanks both of you for your quick replies. I have rode the 2013 models rockhopper was comp and crave was a comp not the expert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishPhan1995 View Post
    I am looking for a bike to commute to work sometimes ride around town for errands ride to the gym and trails on saturday mornings.
    If I was looking for a mainly commuter bike, I probably wouldn't ride a mountain bike, especially 1 with suspension. I would be looking for a road bike, hybrid, flat bar road, full rigid mtn bike, etc, before I bought a bike intended for off road use.

I am the type of person when i get into a new hobby that i like i have to have the best of the best within my budget. But thats neither here nor their. What i am looking for is some suggestions out of these 2 bikes whats the best deal. Thank you for your time.
    If you are sold on getting a mountain bike to ride mostly on the roads, I would go with the rockhopper out of the options given. Its a 29er so it will be good for around town. All of the specs are quality and should hold up well and it is capable of hitting the trails. If you want to hit the trails more often and just ride street from time to time, the carve is a better option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The reason I want a mountain bike is for the added workout. Looking to use the bike for exercise and a means of transportation. The other thing is I no a few guys at work that ride and figured I could tag along some time with them..

The other reason is strictly looks. There is not one thing that makes me go wow about a road bike. To be quit honest I do not one thing about the way a road bike looks.. But that's just me and nothing against the people that do like them.

If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I'm gonna like the way it looks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Man i am overwhelmed by the responses i have got. Thanks to the ones for chiming in that did. I was hoping to get some more opinions. But i guess not.

I am going tomorrow to add a couple more bikes to the mix mamba and x-caliber. Thoughts anyone on either of these two compared to the specialized?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek has slacker geo than Spec. This is more stable going fast downhill and railing turns. The 2012 X-Cal had a better dual air version of the Reba fork. Bikes similar in geo are the Scott Scale models. The 2012 Scott Scale Elite had the dual air Reba.

mtbr member
    If you are going to throw in the X-Caliber it's going to come down to fit. The Rockhopper and the Crave/Carve are just different qualities of the essentially the same bike. Just because those fit doesn't mean the X-Cal will. The G2 geometry that Trek uses is a little more ride specific in my experience than other companies. You better try it first.

If the X-Cal does fit, it's a great bike but fit is what matters most.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Man i am overwhelmed by the responses i have got. Thanks to the ones for chiming in that did. I was hoping to get some more opinions. But i guess not.

I am going tomorrow to add a couple more bikes to the mix mamba and x-caliber. Thoughts anyone on either of these two compared to the specialized?
    The X-Calibre is a superb bike. Honestly all the bikes you have listed will be great. If you can try and ride/demo them and see which feels best to you that's most important. I'm like you and want the best I can have within a certain budget. For that reason I would narrow it down to the Crave vs the X-Caliber. Both have better specs than the Rockhopper or Mamba.

It pays to get the best bike you can now rather than having regrets and wanting to upgrade later. Also more cost effective in the long run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    BTW do Specialized really have a new bike called a 'Crave'? Assumed it was a typo of Carve but the link had a new looking model called a Crave. Lame name if correct but looks like a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you for the response. I'm hoping the LBS has a x-cal. If they don't will the mamba be the same ride as the x-cal? And to answer your question yes the 2014 is crave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for the response. I'm hoping the LBS has a x-cal. If they don't will the mamba be the same ride as the x-cal? And to answer your question yes the 2014 is crave.
    I think the Mamba frame is the same design/ geometry as the X-Cal but the X-Cal has better components. The Crave and X-Caliber both have a Rockshox Reba fork which is far superior to the XC32 fork on the Mamba or XC30 on the Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For the money of the Rockhopper, look at the Airborne Goblin. I was this close to buying Airborne but came across a great deal on a FS Gary fisher on Craigs List. To answer your question, go with the Carve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would probably go used.

I bought a no brand carbon hardtail with XT components, carbon bar/seatpost that a guy had just built for $1200. Most of the components were in like new condition.

The fork ended up being shot so Im having to repair the scratches in the stanchions (with nail polish) or I can replace the uppers ($200) or get a new fork ($500). Still at 1200 or even 1600 it was a great deal. These kinds of deals come up all the time on craigslist

There is a full suspension jet 9 with carbon wheels for 2K on our local craigslist right now. The wheels alone new are about $1500.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LBS did not have a x-cal or a mamba. So still stuck at square one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Crave is way better. It's the lighter version of a rockhopper with better component set. Some of the parts might not be your favorite but its a bike worth upgrading and it will be a great ride as is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok tried the trek mamba was not impressed at all. Stopped by another shop saw the carve pro. It was a customers bike so I couldn't not ride it well I didn't even ask. But man I liked that bike.

Now if you put the 2013 carve pro vs 2014 crave expert.

Here is link

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For that money range I would be looking at a Scott Scale 940.
    SCOTT Scale 940 Bike - SCOTT Sports
    When you test ride go in and out of ditches and on the grass for a little more info.
    I do not go for Spec's 71.5 degree head tube angle.
    Scott and Trek have better geo for the trails.
    Don't forget to negotiate. Scott raised prices 18% this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well i am gonna pull the trigger on the crave. I got them to go 1650.00 OTD thats saving me another 125 or so. Gonna order it monday. Thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well i am gonna pull the trigger on the crave. I got them to go 1650.00 OTD thats saving me another 125 or so. Gonna order it monday. Thanks everyone
    Congrats dude. Sweet bike.

Don't forget to post a pic when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks.. Will do..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ordered be here in 7 to 10 days. Cant wait..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah the waiting will make you crazy. I just looked at a reduced 2013 Rockhopper Comp at my LBS. I took it for a few miles on 2 different rides and was unhappy with the riding position it put me in. It was way to forward and had me with more weight on my hands which I didn't like at all. Good luck with your choice and purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Update picked bike up today. I rode it around for a minute. Love it for what little i rode it. Its light years ahead what i had.. I forgot to take pictures. I am flying to San Fran for 3 days of PHISH. Post some when get back. Have a great day..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast