1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Closekids.com

2.2 tire replacements, what size can I get?

If I have 29 2.2 tires now that came stock on my X-Cal. What sizes can I replace them with?

I've seen 2.24 or 2.25 sizes. WTheck?

Thanks.

Hardbooter
    Pop some 2.3s on there and enjoy the extra flotation in sand and the lower pressure for better traction and rolling resistance

Most bikes are wide enough to accommodate at least a 2.45 covered in mud.

mtbr member
    The Fishers have pretty tight rear tire clearance. You could probably go to 2.3 in the rear, but wider than that you might have some fit issues (especially in mud). The front fork will likely have a little more clearance.

Look at your current tires mounted on the bike and try to make your best guess based on how much room is left over. My personal philosophy... cram the biggest dang ol' tire you can fit!

MTB B'dos
    Sadly although the tyre slection is way better than even a year ago, we still don't have the huge selection that 26" wheeled riders enjoy. Browse the 29er forum and maybe do a search for tyres there.

How have the tyres that came on your bike worked for you in your terrain? If they've worked well - gripped, rolled decent, lasted decent then maybe consider going with them again. If they didn't work good for your terrain then look for a different pattern.

For me a great "all round" 29er tyre is the Maxxis IGNITOR 2.1", works realy good in a lot of terrain and rolls pretty decent. Want something alittle more XC friendly and maybe look at the Maxxis CROSSMARK 2.1", Schwalbe RACING RALPH 2.25", Kenda KARMA 2.0". If you want something a bit bigger as a all rounder maybe try the Panaracer RAMPAGE 2.35".

As for size, we really don't have say 1 tyre available in several sizes in the 29er world so you'll generally find 1 size in a specific typr and sometimes 2. If 2.2" width has worked for you stick with that width +/- depending on what you want, but don't think you can exceed 2.25" true tyre width on the Fisher.

Hardbooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Hat
    cram the biggest dang ol' tire you can fit!
    You need a Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i would make a second recommendation for the panaracer rampages 2.35s. i just upgraded to them from fast traks and i had plenty of room. my best riding buddy has a fisher 29er with the stock bontrager 2.2 tires. there will probably be room. the rampages have a really predictable and controllable drift and have really good traction on every condition, especially sand.

what kind of conditions do you ride most in??

Closekids.com
    Thanks for all the info.
    I need to ask a more specific question.

What range of size can I put on my wheel? 2.1 to 2.35 or what? Will my wheel accept more of a range than that even? Or is it a matter of what will fit through my frame?
    08 X-Cal is my bike.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Thanks for all the info.
    I need to ask a more specific question.

What range of size can I put on my wheel? 2.1 to 2.35 or what? Will my wheel accept more of a range than that even? Or is it a matter of what will fit through my frame?
    08 X-Cal is my bike.

Thanks all!
    The frame will be the limiting factor, not your wheels. Your rims should be wide enough to accept any 29" tire on the market.

mtbr member
    You should be able to fit most any current 29er tire in the rear. Rampage 2.35, Exiwolf 2.3, Nevegal 2.2, etc. Here is another thread where someone put a Rampage in the back of an 08 X-Cal. Plenty of frame clearance, but it rubbed his front derailleur because he had an SRAM X9 FD instead of a Shimano.

Unless you are specifically looking for something with a ton of volume, the tread design is probably more important that the quoted tire size anyway. Tread patterns and construction can lead to wide ranges of grip and rolling resistance, and quoted tire sizes don't mean the tire is actually that size.

Do you want a tire with lots of cush? A really grippy tire? A fast XC tire? What is your preference and what kind of trails do you ride?

I would suggest the Rampage as others already have. A really good tire, decently quick rolling and with good grip and nice cushy air volume. The Ignitor and Crossmark also have very good reputations and are lighter, but are also smaller 2.1 tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i have rampages.. on my big wide freeride rims (alex supra d's) they're GREAT. they handle so nicely and have tons of grip.. very confidence inspiring!

on my narrow speedisc xc rims, they kinda suck. super squirrely in the corners, washes out, not very confident.. im gonna pull them off and put them back on my freeride rims and get some new xc tires.