1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

1x11, 1x10 parts for bike build

I have been riding with my 8 year old son for about 2 years now but I really don't know a lot about bikes and bike parts. He races on a 24" Specialized FSR. I am thinking about building a 26" bike for him and it seems to me that setting up a single gear on the front is a great way to go. With that said.....can someone recommend a good 1x11 or 1x10 setup. Keep in mind this is for a kid so I am looking for budget minded parts.

mtbr member

Sram1x11 isn't cheap, full set on eBay is close to 1k, I would think a narrow wide ring up front from race face or wolf tooth, a 10 speed chain, 10 speed cassette and a shadow plus or type two derailleur (clutch derailleur )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You might want to dig around the Kids and Families sub forum a bit; should find some suggestions there.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I agree, the cost of those parts is more than my bike cost. I am sure it is a great setup but I don't think my 8 year old needs that level of equipment. Is Shadow a manufacturer?

Shadow is a technology Shimano uses in its newer mtb rear derailleurs that reduces chain slap and chain drop and keeps the drivetrain quieter.

1x10 would be better, or even an older 1x9 system would be much more budget-oriented than SRAM's 1x11. That stuff works great, but there's a serious cost of entry because it's so new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the replies and patience with my lack of bike knowledge. Are shadow and type two derailleurs the same thing? Can you give me part numbers or information on how to research these 1x10 or 1x9's?

mtbr member
    Race Face Narrow/Wide Chainring Review
    Post pictures of your 1x9 and 1x10 set ups...

Check out these setups. There is tons of info in the Drivetrain section. That being said, an 8 year old race might be better off with a 2x setup as it gives him a huge advantage in gearing for races.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrtmaster View Post
    Thanks for the replies and patience with my lack of bike knowledge. Are shadow and type two derailleurs the same thing? Can you give me part numbers or information on how to research these 1x10 or 1x9's?
    Shadow is Shimano's flavor of a Type 2 derailleur. SRAM also offers Type 2 derailleurs.

There's too much out there about these topics to put it down all new into this thread. Just know this, there is no one way to do it. It's better if you aren't sure what you're doing to stick with a simpler application of things. Stay within brands and gearing options. So for example, if you want Shimano 1x9, then get Shimano derailleur and shifter. Staying within 9spd, cranksets, chains, and cassette brands aren't important. Same goes for 10spd. If you want SRAM 1x10, get a SRAM derailleur and shifter for example.

Don't mix 9 and 10spd parts, though cranksets are usually mixable because you can just change the chainring if it isn't the correct thickness.

If you want a 1x system, it's easier with chainline to use a 1x specific crankset, or use the middle position on a 3x crankset. Not that you can't use a 2x crankset, but chainline will be a little different.

There are some very specific exceptions and folks can argue about them for eternity. I have a setup on my commute bike that's an exception to these general guidelines.

For an 8 year old, unless he's a bike riding prodigy, he doesn't need top end stuff. You can read on SRAM and Shimano's websites (and those of other online retailers) to find out which of their product lines are within your budget and performance goals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I feel like I am at the beginning stages of "Rosetta Stone for Biking" and I have a lot more studying to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I feel like I am at the beginning stages of "Rosetta Stone for Biking" and I have a lot more studying to do.
    It seems real complicated but it's really not that bad. The Shadow or Type 2 RD is just a fancy term for saying they have a clutch. The clutch reduces chain slap or chain drop. Just stick with RD and shifter of the same brand and don't forget if you get a 10 speed shifter you need to have a 10 speed RD also. A 1x9 or 1x10 is going to be way more cost effective than a 1x11. You can bolt on a narrow/wide chainring on the front and eliminate the FD and front shifter. The NW refers to the tooth profile. One tooth is narrow and the next is wide, next is narrow and so on. They come in even tooth counts for this reason and can be had in a fairly wide selection of tooth counts. Look at offerings from Race Face and Wolf Tooth. The tooth design on the ring was developed to hold the chain on the ring without needing a chain retention device. They work real well with a clutch type RD since they keep such good tension on the chain through all kinds of riding conditions. So, for instance, if you want to do a 1x10 you will need a 10 speed RD, a 10 speed shifter, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain, and a single narrow wide type chainring. You can then ditch the FD and front shifter. Get everything installed and adjusted and your kid is off and riding. It sounds like a lot bigger ordeal than it actually is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My kid rides pretty well and is the about same age; I don't think upgrading to 10/11 speed is likely really worth doing. Maybe just go to the lowest gearing option cassette you can in the back and try running it with a single ring in the front that's a few teeth smaller than what's currently installed. At the rate kids grow out of bikes, you're probably better off putting the extra coin aside for the next rig IMO.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I run a 1x9. My setup is fairly simple. I used my old crank and removed all the chainrings. I then bolted a single speed ring onto the middle cog position. My chain kept bouncing off so I picked up a mrp guide and that solved that problem. I already had shimano 9 speed shifters, derailleur, and cassette so I just kept those items. With 9 speed the cost will be much cheaper than 10 or 11 speed.

Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would go with a 9 speed setup for cost. The chainring and cassette size is really important. I would choose a 32 tooth front ring and a 36x12 cassette. The reason I would do this because this would give your son an extremely low gear. It should be equal or close to him being in the 22 front and 32 in the back. He would have a low enough gear to basically climb anything and a high enough gear for him to be able to keep up with you even on pavement. He should easily have over a 20 mph top end with this setup. With my 32 x11, he will have a 32x12, I can get my bike up to 28 mph, but that's the fastest I've had it on pavement. Your son should be fine for virtually any terrain.

Here are some links what you need to purchase if your son doesn't have any 9 speed items. If he does, keep them, and only get the mrp guide, single speed chainring bolts, chainring, and cassette.

If your son doesn't have 9 speed rear shifter and derailleur I would find one on ebay. Here's a link to shifters Shimano Deore XT Rapid Fire Trigger Shifters SL M751 3 x 9 Speed SL M750 | eBay

Here is a link to the derailleur Shimano RD M592 Deore Shadow SGS 9 Speed Rear Bicycle Derailleur Black | eBay

Cassette url - choose the 36 x12 option. Shimano Deore HG61 9 Speed MTB Cassette | Chain Reaction Cycles

MRP chain guide - MRP Chain Guide Bottom Bracket Mounted New 28 38 Range | eBay

Chainring bolts 5 Count Set of Origin8 Single Speed Fixed Gear BMX Track Chainring Bolts Black | eBay

Note: I'm not going to list a chainring because I'm not sure what cranks you own. Mine cost around 30-35 dollars shipped to me.

Math - 55 rear derailleur, 65 for shifters, 30 for cassette and lets guestimate high 10 dollars to ship it, and 25 dollars for MRP guide, chainring bolts - 8, 30-40 dollars for a chainring. That is a total of 223-243 dollars for a 9 complete speed setup.

I hope this helps. We could price out a 10 speed option if you would like, but I'm certain it would be more expensive.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Rod,
    Wow, thank you very much for your efforts and all of the great information you provided. Here is a question....Could I put a Wolf tooth(I think their is also another comparable brand) front ring on with this setup? I think your setup may still be cheaper with the front chain ring and the guard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Another question.....Is their a 9 speed grip shifting option for this setup?

Another question.....Is their a 9 speed grip shifting option for this setup?
    yeah. it will probably either be low end or old parts, though. there are some low end grip shifters compatible with shimano derailleurs. if you want better quality, you'll have to look for old grip shift stuff.

And yes, you could use a WolfTooth or Race Face ring, but since there are no type 2 derailleurs available for 9 speed, the advantages might be limited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok, I didn't know about 9 speeds not being type 2. How much chain slap do you get in the small gear? I doubt that he would be using the small gear very often, if ever, mountain biking.

Ok, I didn't know about 9 speeds not being type 2. How much chain slap do you get in the small gear? I doubt that he would be using the small gear very often, if ever, mountain biking.
    It will be there. How much depends on the specific derailleur you're talking about. Will an 8yr old notice a difference? No

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Gordon View Post
    It seems real complicated but it's really not that bad. The Shadow or Type 2 RD is just a fancy term for saying they have a clutch. The clutch reduces chain slap or chain drop. Just stick with RD and shifter of the same brand and don't forget if you get a 10 speed shifter you need to have a 10 speed RD also. A 1x9 or 1x10 is going to be way more cost effective than a 1x11. You can bolt on a narrow/wide chainring on the front and eliminate the FD and front shifter. The NW refers to the tooth profile. One tooth is narrow and the next is wide, next is narrow and so on. They come in even tooth counts for this reason and can be had in a fairly wide selection of tooth counts. Look at offerings from Race Face and Wolf Tooth. The tooth design on the ring was developed to hold the chain on the ring without needing a chain retention device. They work real well with a clutch type RD since they keep such good tension on the chain through all kinds of riding conditions. So, for instance, if you want to do a 1x10 you will need a 10 speed RD, a 10 speed shifter, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain, and a single narrow wide type chainring. You can then ditch the FD and front shifter. Get everything installed and adjusted and your kid is off and riding. It sounds like a lot bigger ordeal than it actually is.
    Actually, the derailleur can be Shadow without being a Type2 (clutch), even with 10-sp
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Actually, the derailleur can be Shadow without being a Type2 (clutch), even with 10-sp
    true. My wife has a 10spd Shadow XTR but it is not Type2. don't know the model number offhand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It seems every question answered creates another question. I noticed the deraileurs come in short, medium and long. What size do I need for this bike?
    What is the purpose of the different sizes?

It seems every question answered creates another question. I noticed the deraileurs come in short, medium and long. What size do I need for this bike?
    What is the purpose of the different sizes?
    That one is best answered by giving you a link to a discussion.

When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?

Suffice to say, it's a fairly technical and detail-oriented discussion. The basic idea is that cage length determines how much extra chain slack the derailleur is able to take up and tension. There are calculations you can do to determine how much uptake capacity your drivetrain requires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok, is their such a thing as an effective, light, reasonably priced front shock for 26" wheel for an 8 year old kid's bike? Used would be good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Rod,
    Do you have a recommendation for a 145mm crank and chainring combination?

Cow Clicker
    These guys are experts in this stuff: Families and Riding with Kids

There are some cranks for sale now.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.