1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1st Ride in Over 10 Years

So I decided to go out and finally push myself. Before today, I've been riding next to my 4 year old around the neighborhood. Conclusion: Damn, I'm out of shape! I rode 5 miles up the street to a church parking lot and back to my house and my legs feel like jello, my chest/throat hurts from breathing so hard and I'm sweating my ass off! The ride took about 25 minutes total. I walked around the house a bit and did some leg stretches to help them calm down. All in all I enjoyed it. I'm glad I didn't buy the bike with fork lockout because it would have been a waste of money at this point even riding on the shoulder/bike path where I live. I have a long way to go and I can always upgrade the fork

So some questions:

The seat felt fine but now that I've been off the bike for a minute I'm feeling some pressure in the taint area. I know that's not right so how should I adjust to relieve that? How long will it take before I know I need a different seat or not?

My right hand had some tingling in it about 3/4th through the ride. This hand also has a ganglion cyst in the wrist that I've had since I was about 17 or so. Left hand is fine. Is this normal? Anybody else with a ganglion cyst have similar experiences?

How long between rides should I rest for recovery? I seriously need to get back into shape before I start going out to trails.

Was this even a long enough ride to know any better? lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Welcome back to MTB.
    Getting started is hard for some, take it easy and just ride every other day.
    30mins is okay depending how you ride, an important note is learn to use the right gearings if you want to go further without getting your legs all jello.

About your seating, try to tilt it from downwards and perhaps slide your seat a little forward so you put more pressure on your actually butt instead.
    Right hand tingling could possibly cause by misaligned handle bar with the front wheel, so may be see if they're line up correctly?
    Personally I often ride 20-30km to get to/back from trails and I spend 1 hrs riding trails, so 2-3 hrs is usually how long I ride on my mtb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I'll take a look at the seat and handlebars and see what some of these adjustments can do. My short term goal is to actually be able to ride to the LBS lol. According to google maps, its 6.8 miles one way to get there. Not much right now but it will be a big help for when I go to the outer banks in September.

Speaking of which I'll be stopping by there on way home tomorrow. I need bottles, cages, and a saddlebag and goodies to put in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Keep at it! I started back last Sunday with a hilly 3.5 mile run that I thought was gonna kill me. I did almost twice that today and there wasn't much to it. My took my last ride 30 or so years ago when I parked the ole ten speed.

Level 5 Rider!
    You can also pick up some gloves that reduce hand fatigue... may help with the hand.. maybe. lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Little wonder your legs felt like jelly and your chest hurt: you were averaging 24 mph for a 10 mile ride on a MTB! Even on pavement, I know very riders who can do that. The gearing just isn't tall enough and the tires have too much resistance.

local trails rider
    Your seat might be too narrow to suit your sit bones - or it could be a matter of tiny adjustments: a small change in angle, or repositioning so that you sit on a wider part of the seat. I recently replaced an old seat because the "wings" were getting soft and I was sinking enough to cause taint contact on an otherwise suitable seat.

Hand problems can have many causes. Among the more common ones are "the death grip", and a misalignment of something. In addition to checking that your stem and bar are on straight, you could play a bit with rotating the bar up/forward or back/down. Check your brake and shifter lever alignments too, so that they fall comfortably under your fingers.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Little wonder your legs felt like jelly and your chest hurt: you were averaging 24 mph for a 10 mile ride on a MTB! Even on pavement, I know very riders who can do that. The gearing just isn't tall enough and the tires have too much resistance.
    I took it as a 5 mile total ride, there and back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbojo View Post
    I took it as a 5 mile total ride, there and back.
    This! hahaha! I wish I could have done a 10 mile ride in that amount of time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Your seat might be too narrow to suit your sit bones - or it could be a matter of tiny adjustments: a small change in angle, or repositioning so that you sit on a wider part of the seat. I recently replaced an old seat because the "wings" were getting soft and I was sinking enough to cause taint contact on an otherwise suitable seat.

Hand problems can have many causes. Among the more common ones are "the death grip", and a misalignment of something. In addition to checking that your stem and bar are on straight, you could play a bit with rotating the bar up/forward or back/down. Check your brake and shifter lever alignments too, so that they fall comfortably under your fingers.
    I'm thinking the handlebar is too far in one direction. I eyeballed in the other night and the right side is measuring more to the center of the stem than the left side.

I learned a long time ago on my gsxr about the death grip. lol My whole arm would go numb!