1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

1st ride ever...

Well I got footage,

Bar mount GoPro. This is my first video ever made, let alone my first ride ever on my bike, and on some MTB trails. Criticism is much appreciated, whether it be video wise or biking wise. I am the one in front for a majority of it (red pack).

White Clay Creek-Newark, DE

My Foot Whip....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st ride ever...-imag0022.jpg  

2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

It's all about the FSR!
    The only thing that I noticed is that you spent a LOT of time out of the saddle. I feel like it is a lot of unnecessary work on your legs. I know that some of that is going over the terrain, but most of the time that I saw you pedaling, you were up off the seat. I would practice planting your butt on the seat, and keeping it there to pedal. Once you learn how to do that, I think that your rides will be much more enjoyable, for your, and for your legs.

Looks like a cool trail otherwise. Video footage wasn't bad. The more you play with the GoPro, the better you get with it.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    The only thing that I noticed is that you spent a LOT of time out of the saddle. I feel like it is a lot of unnecessary work on your legs. I know that some of that is going over the terrain, but most of the time that I saw you pedaling, you were up off the seat. I would practice planting your butt on the seat, and keeping it there to pedal. Once you learn how to do that, I think that your rides will be much more enjoyable, for your, and for your legs.

Looks like a cool trail otherwise. Video footage wasn't bad. The more you play with the GoPro, the better you get with it.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ Not bad though for the first ride. When I first started I stood up a lot too since thats how I rode when I was a kid riding bmx but you'll find that sitting is a much better way to go. If you feel like you need stand to have the power to pedal thats what you have gears for.

:thumbsdown: for the music. Just my opinion tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

It's all about the FSR!
    Agree with the music. Not my thing. Keep shooting the videos though, and as you progress, go back and watch them, and see what you are doing differently now. Doing this is always entertaining.

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry about the music, it seems not all of our cd's are on the external, so just went with what I had. In the process of getting a more eclectic selection on there. Know music is more of a personal preference thing anyway.

About the standing up thing, never really paid to much attention to it. Although today I was talking to a buddy who is thinking about getting into it, and said I tend to stand more, because I don't want my feet to slip off. Just thinking when I sit down, feet are a little more relaxed and could slip, and when one foot is down and the other is up, same thing. Where as when I stand I have equal pressure on both pedals, so no slipping. But I will keep that in mind and try to correct. Guess I should not be too concerned with slipping since I got the new pedals anyway. Have more points for contact to shoe, and grip, then the stock ones. Would love to save the legs, and go for longer rides. Thanks appreciate it!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Nickel Havr
    Try mounting the GoPro on a helmet... It's cool to see the bars and brake levers in the shot. Also play with camera angles... Like shots of suspension and rear facing shots.

Like "Ridin Dirty" though.... My windows are tinted on my car and I play it whenever the cops pull me over! Lol

Cool trail too... I'm in Pa and I think I'll take a drive to Deleware to ride it!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Yeah we just went out this past weekend and mounted it to my helmet. Like that video better.

Link to the State Park we were at.....
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    Yeah we just went out this past weekend and mounted it to my helmet. Like that video better.

Link to the State Park we were at.....
    You have to pay to use the trails right?
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

It's all about the FSR!
    Worried about feet slipping off the pedals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    You have to pay to use the trails right?
    6 bucks per vehicle out of state, or you could just take the risk. That 6 bucks gives you access to all Delaware State Parks for the day.

Heavy Fluid, not so sure after this weekend I am quite ready for Clipless...lol Had a couple falls, and also had to use my foot real quick to stabilize myself.

(I believe that is what they are called)
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man those are some well groomed trails. Kudos to the crew who maintains them!
    Nice video by the way.

mtbr member
    Cool vid, thanks for posting it. You seem to have great body english for a first ride! I would agree with the staying seated, and the only other advice I would give, is try to keep a steady spin on your cranks...ie..pedal more. You kind of do a pedal/coast/pedal thing. Ride the trail a little more like a roadie.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested here is something I threw together last night in like 20 minutes. Need a laugh here you go. All falls are done after the first 2:50, the last 2:50 is a trail we did in the first video (Bryans Field) but we did it clockwise this time. A lot more funner, could hit the jumps a little. The camera is mounted on my buddies bike, no vid of me for that.

My falls are 1 and 3. The first fall is literally a minute after starting the camera. Just edited out the stuff before it. The 3rd was me trying to catch back up, because my wife called me, and the bridge was a little damp, so very slippery. Front wheel just slipped right out. My own stupidity.

I blame all my falls on leg fatigue, since I did 12 miles the day before....lol Enjoy!

Falling Compilation.....
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Toro
    Outstanding first ride! I wish mine was as smooth as yours.

As for the fee, well, the fee is nominal for the amount of work that is put in maintaining those trails. Both the park maintenance crews, various organizations like Friends of White Clay, and the Trail Spinners take care of those trail systems.

If you're local (MD, PA, DE), please think of supporting the Trail Spinners through IMBA. If you're from farther out, thank you for visiting. And thank you for supporting the parks.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    There is another group that takes care of things too, just can't think of them off the top of my head. I know they take care of the skills course a good bit, pretty sure the do others as well.

I don't pay daily, I pay yearly. Season pass!

Oh and I appreciate everyone's hard to work to keep the trails good!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Just Ride
    Your trail has a mosquito feeding platform? SWEET!
    2:34 to see what I mean.

Video quality isn't bad. Trail looks like fun too!

XC/Trail Clyde
    Face it bro, you just suck.....and whomever has that camera attached to his bike he sucks just as bad.

Man up and hit those features instead of riding around them, and stop making lame excuses like "leg fatigue" Leg Fatigue = Needs to ride more.

(No need for neg rep. For the most part this is a joke, I'm the one with the gopro attached to the bike)
    Rockin Da Suburbz

mtbr member
    Awesome first time riding. You should go back to 2:20 in the first video and roll the wooden feature. It looks wide enough for a beginner and it would be great practice. If it looks intimidating think about riding down a sidewalk. If you can do that without falling off the side you should be able to roll that wood feature.

Also, you said you're paying $6 a day. You should look into if there's a season pass available. They just did a thing like that here in WA and it's $10 a day or $35 per year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice video, all I was going to say is it looks like you skipped the 2 funnest parts of the trail at 2:30 and at 3:30.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

XC/Trail Clyde
    Fwiw.... We hit both features the next time out.
    Rockin Da Suburbz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Also, you said you're paying $6 a day. You should look into if there's a season pass available. They just did a thing like that here in WA and it's $10 a day or $35 per year.
    Out of staters pay $6 a day, in state pays $3. I have a season pass for I think $35 that covers all state parks. I get it because I take my dogs to the dog park which is connected to the State Park by my house.

If we continue to keep going here next year, then Phillycore should look into getting a season pass as well (hint hint). Will be $55 for him though, since he is out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillycore View Post
    Face it bro, you just suck.....and whomever has that camera attached to his bike he sucks just as bad.

Man up and hit those features instead of riding around them, and stop making lame excuses like "leg fatigue" Leg Fatigue = Needs to ride more.

(No need for neg rep. For the most part this is a joke, I'm the one with the gopro attached to the bike)
    Nah, he's just a ******!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

mtbr member
    I thought you did well.

I second the "pedal more" advice. I went on my first group ride this week with a local racing team and one thing I noticed is that the guys in front of me pedal almost NON STOP. I am working on pedaling at all times that it is possible.

Of course I am a racer so its relevant. If your just into leisure riding its probably not important.

Nickel Havr
    I'll be riding White Clay Creek tomorrow... I'm leaving my house in Pa at 8am and will prob get there by 9:30am... Any particular route I should take? Anyone else gonna be there tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Route as in driving route, or bike route? Can't be there have work, plus a little banged up from Wiss yesterday
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    Route as in driving route, or bike route? Can't be there have work, plus a little banged up from Wiss yesterday
    Na... I got the driving route down.

Lookin for advice on riding routes... I was gonna park at the Smith Mill Rd trailhead and ride up to Whitely Farms and run that clockwise, cut over to David English and run that counter clockwise, back down to Whitely Farms clockwise, and cut down to Bryans Field and run that clockwise.

Sound like a good route?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast