Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st ride ever...

3K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  RabEd Ewok 
#1 ·
Well I got footage,

Bar mount GoPro. This is my first video ever made, let alone my first ride ever on my bike, and on some MTB trails. Criticism is much appreciated, whether it be video wise or biking wise. I am the one in front for a majority of it (red pack).

White Clay Creek-Newark, DE

My Foot Whip....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing that I noticed is that you spent a LOT of time out of the saddle. I feel like it is a lot of unnecessary work on your legs. I know that some of that is going over the terrain, but most of the time that I saw you pedaling, you were up off the seat. I would practice planting your butt on the seat, and keeping it there to pedal. Once you learn how to do that, I think that your rides will be much more enjoyable, for your, and for your legs.

Looks like a cool trail otherwise. Video footage wasn't bad. The more you play with the GoPro, the better you get with it.

#3 ·
^^^^THIS^^^^ Not bad though for the first ride. When I first started I stood up a lot too since thats how I rode when I was a kid riding bmx but you'll find that sitting is a much better way to go. If you feel like you need stand to have the power to pedal thats what you have gears for.

:thumbsdown: for the music. Just my opinion tho

#5 ·
Yeah sorry about the music, it seems not all of our cd's are on the external, so just went with what I had. In the process of getting a more eclectic selection on there. Know music is more of a personal preference thing anyway.

About the standing up thing, never really paid to much attention to it. Although today I was talking to a buddy who is thinking about getting into it, and said I tend to stand more, because I don't want my feet to slip off. Just thinking when I sit down, feet are a little more relaxed and could slip, and when one foot is down and the other is up, same thing. Where as when I stand I have equal pressure on both pedals, so no slipping. But I will keep that in mind and try to correct. Guess I should not be too concerned with slipping since I got the new pedals anyway. Have more points for contact to shoe, and grip, then the stock ones. Would love to save the legs, and go for longer rides. Thanks appreciate it!

#6 ·
Try mounting the GoPro on a helmet... It's cool to see the bars and brake levers in the shot. Also play with camera angles... Like shots of suspension and rear facing shots.

Like "Ridin Dirty" though.... My windows are tinted on my car and I play it whenever the cops pull me over! Lol

Cool trail too... I'm in Pa and I think I'll take a drive to Deleware to ride it!

#12 ·
Cool vid, thanks for posting it. You seem to have great body english for a first ride! I would agree with the staying seated, and the only other advice I would give, is try to keep a steady spin on your cranks...ie..pedal more. You kind of do a pedal/coast/pedal thing. Ride the trail a little more like a roadie.

#14 ·
Outstanding first ride! I wish mine was as smooth as yours.

As for the fee, well, the fee is nominal for the amount of work that is put in maintaining those trails. Both the park maintenance crews, various organizations like Friends of White Clay, and the Trail Spinners take care of those trail systems.

If you're local (MD, PA, DE), please think of supporting the Trail Spinners through IMBA. If you're from farther out, thank you for visiting. And thank you for supporting the parks.

#13 ·
If anyone is interested here is something I threw together last night in like 20 minutes. Need a laugh here you go. All falls are done after the first 2:50, the last 2:50 is a trail we did in the first video (Bryans Field) but we did it clockwise this time. A lot more funner, could hit the jumps a little. The camera is mounted on my buddies bike, no vid of me for that.

My falls are 1 and 3. The first fall is literally a minute after starting the camera. Just edited out the stuff before it. The 3rd was me trying to catch back up, because my wife called me, and the bridge was a little damp, so very slippery. Front wheel just slipped right out. My own stupidity.

I blame all my falls on leg fatigue, since I did 12 miles the day before....lol Enjoy!

Falling Compilation.....

#15 ·
There is another group that takes care of things too, just can't think of them off the top of my head. I know they take care of the skills course a good bit, pretty sure the do others as well.

I don't pay daily, I pay yearly. Season pass!

Oh and I appreciate everyone's hard to work to keep the trails good!

#17 ·
Face it bro, you just suck.....and whomever has that camera attached to his bike he sucks just as bad.

Man up and hit those features instead of riding around them, and stop making lame excuses like "leg fatigue" Leg Fatigue = Needs to ride more.

(No need for neg rep. For the most part this is a joke, I'm the one with the gopro attached to the bike)

#18 ·
Awesome first time riding. You should go back to 2:20 in the first video and roll the wooden feature. It looks wide enough for a beginner and it would be great practice. If it looks intimidating think about riding down a sidewalk. If you can do that without falling off the side you should be able to roll that wood feature. :thumbsup:

Also, you said you're paying $6 a day. You should look into if there's a season pass available. They just did a thing like that here in WA and it's $10 a day or $35 per year.

#21 ·
Also, you said you're paying $6 a day. You should look into if there's a season pass available. They just did a thing like that here in WA and it's $10 a day or $35 per year.
Out of staters pay $6 a day, in state pays $3. I have a season pass for I think $35 that covers all state parks. I get it because I take my dogs to the dog park which is connected to the State Park by my house.

If we continue to keep going here next year, then Phillycore should look into getting a season pass as well (hint hint). Will be $55 for him though, since he is out of state.

Face it bro, you just suck.....and whomever has that camera attached to his bike he sucks just as bad.

Man up and hit those features instead of riding around them, and stop making lame excuses like "leg fatigue" Leg Fatigue = Needs to ride more.

(No need for neg rep. For the most part this is a joke, I'm the one with the gopro attached to the bike)
Nah, he's just a ******!

#22 ·
I thought you did well.

I second the "pedal more" advice. I went on my first group ride this week with a local racing team and one thing I noticed is that the guys in front of me pedal almost NON STOP. I am working on pedaling at all times that it is possible.

Of course I am a racer so its relevant. If your just into leisure riding its probably not important.

#25 ·
Na... I got the driving route down.

Lookin for advice on riding routes... I was gonna park at the Smith Mill Rd trailhead and ride up to Whitely Farms and run that clockwise, cut over to David English and run that counter clockwise, back down to Whitely Farms clockwise, and cut down to Bryans Field and run that clockwise.

Sound like a good route?

#27 ·
Sorry double posted, Eckstream make sure you read the one above this too....lol

Looking at where you are parking, I can say we park at the other lot. Damn I forget the name of the road, wish I knew it. Looking at the map, it is the lot right across from Possum Hill, in between Whitely, and Bryans Trail head. Now looking even closer, the lot that you are parking at is the lot that we have been to a few times. For us we have to make a hard right before the lot to continue on Bryans.

If I may make a suggestion, why not run Bryans Clockwise, half way around take the trail head to Whitely (going to go right by where we park at), run it clockwise, half way around. Cross over Pleasent Hill Road, run David English Counter clockwise, then cross back over to Whitely, continue that clockwise, and hit the trail head to go back to Bryans to finish it clockwise, and it will run right into your lot. (Right where we have to make a hard right)

Just don't see the point of taking the trail head to Whitely when Bryans is right there in your face. You get the small fun stuff first thing, but it may make your day more fun, getting it from the jump.

Just don't see the need to pedal that extra bit to hit Whitely first, save the legs for David English! (lol) But that is just me, either way you ride it, you picked a great fun run! Hope I helped.

Side note, after riding Wiss yesterday, David English is like a small fun hill, may still be challenging for me, but does not even compare...lol

#28 ·
Cool... Thanks for the help!

I got some good legs on me... From what I hear it's pretty flat.
It will be a nice change of pace from my usual trails (French Creek,Blue Marsh,Mt. Penn,Neversink)
Most of my rides have some epic 2hr climbs where you gain 1,500ft in elevation.... Looking at a Topo map of White Clay it looks like the highest elevation is 370ft! Haha

I'll be running my Contour camera so I'll post up the vid once I edit it and upload it!

I'll be looking to hit the skills section too... Thats at the bottom of Bryans right?

#30 ·
OK, never mind the leg thing...lol Only a month into this, so my legs are well uh crap!

I have only seen the skills trail entrance once, like I said just starting, so no need for me to think about that place just yet....lol

Only seen it when we ran Bryans Counter, but I do know it is around in Bryans somewhere. For soem reason they do not have it listed on the Trail Map that I have. Seems someone needs to make an updated one....lol

#32 ·
Now that you mention it, I see the black loop now off in the corner. I was more so looking for it to listed in the Trail Legend. Without clicking your link, I am guessing it is exactly what I have in my hands...lol they have them there free for the taking, just to let you know. Pretty sure you need to go through the main gate for it though. (New London Rd)

don't forget your $6, envelopes should be there. Park Officers do come around and they will ticket. Have fun good luck, glad I could help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.