1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

1st MTB - Trek Marlin?

First off, why do some turn up their noses at 29'rs? I am new to this and wonder if there is something I should know. Don't really care cause I'm getting one anyway but was just wondering.

I understand one of the first upgrades should be the pedals. Suggestions?
    Last edited by jleeasc; 11-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    People turn their noses up to 29ers?

That's news to me. lol

I know they are not for everyone but but they are growing in popularity for a reason.

Actually most the people I know that are on 26ers keep saying they are buying a 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Excuse my inexperience. Guess I just stumbled across a few posts of the few who objected. Anyway, ordered an 8.3 DS to get me through the winter until I decide what I really need/want. Thought it was the Marlin but now leaning towards the Mamba or maybe even the Stache for the component upgrades. I'll learn.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Mamba is the best option,

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Came home with the Mamba yesterday.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    congrats on the bike, ride it hard
    Last edited by Sean831; 11-24-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Cow Clicker
    Congratulations! Great bike - enjoy it!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Do you like is so far? Did you get the hybrid also? Show some pics?

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jleeasc View Post
    Came home with the Mamba yesterday.
    woot...

one does not simply say one came home with a brand new bike!
    Anticlimactic much....
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogs View Post
    Do you like is so far? Did you get the hybrid also? Show some pics?
    Really like it. Did not get the hybrid. Will post some pics soon.

no trees are safe
    First off, why do some turn up their noses at 29'rs? ...
    For the same reasons as everything else. Some dislike the geometry, some are conservative, some think that 29ers take the joy out of the ride... there's no rocket science in this. I'd personally like to own both,(and a road bike) unfortunately as a student I'm glad I can afford spares for my current bike.

As for you. Ride what you find fun and comfortable. If you don't know what to choose perhaps talk to an LBS (preferably several of them) or a veteran rider.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Some people are just against 29ers. They are a more sluggish, not as nimble, takes more power to turn the big wheels, and other people who have never ridden one just hate to be hating. I own a 29er and I like it a lot, but I also really liked my 26 inch bike a lot before I bought the 29er. Just ride what you own and have fun.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Picture Unrelated
    First off, why do some turn up their noses at 29'rs?
    29ers ride differently. Speaking in general terms they're usually a bit more sluggish in handling, you're up higher, and the big wheels are more difficult to jump with in certain situations. Really it comes down to the impression that 26" bikes are more playful and 29ers are said to be more efficient; in the real world you can get playful 29ers like the Canfield Yelly Screamy or you can get super efficient race 26" bikes. The user is more important than the machine.

I like my 26" bike better than any 29er I've had the chance to ride, but there are some situations where the 29er shines like sand or mud. I'm excited to try 650b based on the descriptions of how it rides but everyone needs to ride what they like best because it doesn't really matter what bike you ride as long as you're riding.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    29ers are sluggish. There's no debating that. But some people are affected more than others. For me, my 29er feels like a train on rails, and I HATE IT. Sure it rolls over stuff and goes faster and blah blah. But it stole the fun out of biking for me (only some, not a lot). I'm 5'7" on a size 15.5 29er hard tail and I can't even pop a wheelie. I would much rather a twitchy and flick able bike than a fast and stable bike that just goes. You can see why 29ers are gaining popularity in XC and not anything else.

Heavier or bigger people will be affected less, because the wheel size changes less in comparison to their bodies. Does that make sense? I hope it did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    29ers are sluggish. There's no debating that. But some people are affected more than others. For me, my 29er feels like a train on rails, and I HATE IT. Sure it rolls over stuff and goes faster and blah blah. But it stole the fun out of biking for me (only some, not a lot). I'm 5'7" on a size 15.5 29er hard tail and I can't even pop a wheelie. I would much rather a twitchy and flick able bike than a fast and stable bike that just goes. You can see why 29ers are gaining popularity in XC and not anything else..
    What this is. Your bike-- setup with the existing fork, wheels, stem, bar and geo is riding sluggish. Mine has a light fork, ArchEx wheel and RaRa tires, 80mm stem and wide low riser bars rotated a little back. A setback post and mine is light and flicks as well as comes up easy. I've made changes and have a great balance point ride for tough technical trails. And it stills goes right over the rocks and roots on the way up hill.
    The bikes coming out now have even better geo. And the FS bikes are also becoming better each season. The Tallboy 29 is Santa Croz's best seller for good reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, so far the Mamba is a lot of fun. Will get it dirty this weekend, temps in upper SC will be low 60's Saturday and mid 60's Sunday. Perfect.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    What this is. Your bike-- setup with the existing fork, wheels, stem, bar and geo is riding sluggish. Mine has a light fork, ArchEx wheel and RaRa tires, 80mm stem and wide low riser bars rotated a little back. A setback post and mine is light and flicks as well as comes up easy. I've made changes and have a great balance point ride for tough technical trails. And it stills goes right over the rocks and roots on the way up hill.
    The bikes coming out now have even better geo. And the FS bikes are also becoming better each season. The Tallboy 29 is Santa Croz's best seller for good reason.
    YMMV but I'm not gonna to start this debate haha. Would a similarly set up and designed 26 inch bike be the same? Doubt it. But you're right about current development.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't understand when people say it is harder to turn the 29er's... I only have ever ridden a 29er but can it REALLY be harder? It's turning a handlebar, not loosing power steering.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Levy4u View Post
    I don't understand when people say it is harder to turn the 29er's... I only have ever ridden a 29er but can it REALLY be harder? It's turning a handlebar, not loosing power steering.
    It's not usually more physically difficult to turn a 29er it just takes more room to do it in. The steering is less responsive, sometimes that's a good thing sometimes it's not.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?