1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1st bike what do you think?

I'm on a small budget so I figured used would be my best bet, for the price this seems to be pretty good. I think its an 04 or 06 trek 4900
    Trek 4900 Mountain Bike

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Walk up to the seller, holding $150 cash(preferably, all in tens = thicker wad of money). Cash just makes people salivate. Test ride the bike holding the money and offer him the contents clutched in your hand. If he says NO at first - simply fold the cash and stuff it back into your pocket and WALK. Nine out of ten he will chase you down and accept it. Works like a charm. Make sure the bike FITS your height!

By the way - it's a 2004 Trek 4900. My first bike was the 2006, disc brake version Trek 4900. I paid $200 for it in new condition. Sold it in 2007, for $250.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do you think the Trek is better than this Raleigh?
    Raleigh M-60 Mountain Sport 18" Aluminum Frame Rock Shox Judy TT Fork

I would offer $200 for it.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan Lamoureux View Post
    Do you think the Trek is better than this Raleigh?
    Raleigh M-60 Mountain Sport 18" Aluminum Frame Rock Shox Judy TT Fork

I would offer $200 for it.
    Trek is WAY BETTER than a Raleigh.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    YOu might be able to do better if you're patient. IN my area on CL, i've could get a 3 year disc brake bike for $200. Those asking prices are too high, those bikes are quite old.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You can wait away an entire season trying to get a deal, and IME selling a couple bikes, what I think is a fair price is lower than the market will bear when it's sunny, if it's a remotely credible bike.

IMO, "goes, stops and shifts" is worth $100. This bike also has a probably-functional suspension fork and uses a modern headset standard. V-brakes are a negative, but they'll perform as well as the mechanical discs that ship on entry-level bikes in dry weather.

Go and see it. Test ride it. Check the chain for stretch - IMO, this is one of the best easy indicators for overall condition. See if the seller has the original saddle still - you may want it if you ride more than he did. If the bike fits and it's not thrashed, you can try Zachariah's tactic if you like, but the price is reasonable for that bike in good shape.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie
    That was in reference to the Trek. The Raleigh - old, and forks of the Judy's generation didn't always age well, depending on condition and your goals, you may find yourself spending a lot more on it right away.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I agree if the Trek is in as decent shape as it looks, buy it and ride the snot out of it, not a huge risk rally if you get it for $150.

Jimbo

mtbr member
    I agree with AndrwSwitch. The Trek price is reasonable as-is, though there's never any harm trying for a lower price. I tend to skip the in-person drama and just email the seller saying something like "my budget is limited to $150, but I could pay in cash today" and usually either that works or we split the difference. But even at $185, if it's in good working condition and fits you well, it's a good deal.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners