1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    OnTheTrailAgain

1st Bike Purchasers...

Just a tip, I've been coming across a lot of great (not good, but great) used bikes for the money.

I've found 4 '06/'07 Gary Fisher Tarpons in near new condition for around the $150. mark.
    My guess is that because it's an entry level bike, entry level bikers give up on them quicker,
    let them collect dust and then want to get rid of them even if they take a loss.

Heaven bless those wives that whine...
    "You bought the damn thing, rode it twice, not it's in the way! Just get rid of it!" )

For $150., you can have a great bike.
    It'll definately outlast any Department Store bike (even those costing twice as much).
    I got one for my girlfriend and I ride it more than she does.
    If it was just ridden recreationally and on light trails,
    it should last for years easily with no major malfunctions.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a GF. I see a lot of Specialized Hardrocks too
    (and I know how you Spec guys are notoriously passionate for your Hardrocks! And I respect that bigtime! ).

Anyway, it's better to have a great used bike (especially a hardly used 1-2 year old model) than a cheap "new" bike.

Just passing on some info that really turned out great for me.

Another tip, your best finds (generally speaking) will be on Craigslist and in either Urban Areas or Suburbs.
    A gold find is someone who bought one to get back into shape, used it a couple of times and just wants to get rid of it.

spec4life???..smh...
    It is true, we are passionate about our hardrocks. Only because they are the best entry level hardtail ever made.

You have a great point though, used bikes can definently provide more bang for the buck. Just use caution, mtbs are rode hard. I suggest you only buy bikes you can check out in person or get a large # of pictures.