1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

1999 Marin East Peak for my 1st "real" bike??? pics

So I'm thinking really heavily of getting this bike.... What do you guys think?? Good deal? Bad deal? Good bike? Bad bike? It's going for $400

'99 Marin County "East Peak" Full suspension Mountain Bike.

17.5" Frame with 4" stretched neck. I fit just fine at 6'1".
    Shimano SXT-rt Shifters/Durailers.
    Shimano Avid breaks.
    Manitou Front Shocks.
    Fox 'vanilla float' Rear Shock.
    Standard Pedals with out clip-ons.
    Trico Sports Gell Seat. This seat is larger but very comfortable.

$400 o.b.o.

This Bike is Registered with the State. Proof of ownership will be provided.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Freshly Fujified

Too much $$$

The bike is 9 years old, and looks like it's been thru the ringer. I would not give it consideration, personally. If you must have it, offer $200.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    for $400 you can get a much better bike than that. that bike is nine years old, what shape is the drivetrain in? what about the fork and rear suspension? are the wheels true? replacing parts can get expensive quickly. i wouldnt pay more than about $200 for that bike.

you can get a decent brand new hardtail for $400, or check ebay or your local craigslist for used full suspension bikes.

check this out, its only a hundred bucks more than that marin and it would be a million times better http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....7&category=531.

bi-winning
    Too much $$$
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Uphill? What's that
    bike looks beat. I'd keep looking

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply guys... I definitly won't get that bike then...... Invicta, thanks for the suggestions but that bike is to small for me I'm 6'2 185 lbs.

How about this one?

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....category=18275

I would have to get it in XLG

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If $400 is your budget, you may want to check this out. There was a guy on another thread that wanted this but it's too big for him, but at 6'1", the 19" should be just about right for you.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/B...r+Bike+05.aspx

It would make a pretty nice 1st FS bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    my friend has the same frame in full suspension. Not a marin dough. He got his at sears about ten years ago. cant remember the name. Royal somthing i think

dh1
    mtbr member
    This is purely my opinion, but if your budget is less than $1000, you should be looking at a hardtail. For your pricerange, the suspension is not going to do you justice. The forks will be sticky and flexible, and the rears won't be very good either....plus the bike will weigh nearly as much as you (well OK, that is an embellishment. It will weigh near 40lbs though).

If you are concerned about the ride on a hardtail vs rear suspended, try a 29r wheeled bike. Bigger wheels and tires will give you a smoother ride than 26".

I strongly suggest that you visit a couple different bike shops and discuss your riding style and budget. I predict they will steer you away from a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    If $400 is your budget, you may want to check this out. There was a guy on another thread that wanted this but it's too big for him, but at 6'1", the 19" should be just about right for you.

http://jensonusa.com/store/product/B...r+Bike+05.aspx

It would make a pretty nice 1st FS bike.
    Well I went ahead and bought the 05 Dakar, like you suggested. The reviews looked good and the price is right. So will see how long it takes to get here. I'll let you guys know. THANKS!!!!!!!