1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

1997 STX RC or 2003 Deore lx?

Hi ive lucked out at an op shop and found a mongoose rockadile sx with full stx rc group on it. Ive also just stripped an old norco charger with deore and lx on it execept the crank which is truative. im going to sell the goose but should I keep the stx or the lx gear?

Stx looks well made...
    thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    STX was higher grade than LX back in 1997. Not sure about 2003 LX stuff.

What do you plan to do with the parts?
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Weigh them and see which is lighter? Flex them and see which is stiffer?

Which RD has better/less worn pulleys?

I'd go out on a limb and say the newer LX is probably better than the older STX. Shimano trickles their technology down pretty quickly over the years so that LX is probably more comparible to XT or XTR of the same vintage as the STX.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: 1997 STX RC or 2003 Deore lx?

Thanks for the reply's, I plan on keeping the parts for spares and helping a mate out with a project . I just want to put the worst parts on the goose and sell that cheap and keep the rest. The crank particularly as my race face deus xc is getting short in the tooth and if I have no $$ id like to use that until I can afford a new one. The teeth are 42 32 22 on the stx while on my anthem its 44 32 22? Would that matter? Ill look into weights, I reckon it'll be six and one, a dozen half a dozen between them. The rims are good but for v brake.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think Joe's mistaken on the placing of STX RC vs LX, back in the day. It went XTR, XT, LX, STX-RC, STX.

Since the two groups are so close in quality it is up to the OP to decide which has the most wear and tear, although the newer LX might be less well made.

I suspect the LX will be a quicker sale just because STX is fairly unknown.

Drew
    occasional cyclist