XC Legs & DH Guts

18" vs 20" Frames (hardtail mountain bikes)

Is 18" too small for tall riders (6ft+)...... 34" Inseam???

I want to be able to jump and control the bike.. but i want to be able to go on long rides too, any help please!!

^ That's what I do
    Try one out and see if you like it. If it's too small, you can get a larger frame, or get a longer stem and/or move your seat back on a smaller frame. I'm shorter than you, 5' 10", and I ride a 19" because I like the stretched out feeling more. A 17" that I tried felt too cramped for me.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member
    Yeah ride it and see what is more comfortable.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I too am over 6'. At 6'3" i was put on a 22" bike. LOVE the feel. I don't feel cramped. I read in a similar post today that guys our height should not be looking at anything less than 18.5".

Try 'em out .... not 22" frames have the same feel.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and am currently on a 17" Kona hardtail. Its great for urban riding and screwing around, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 19-20" frame soon. Test ride a 17 and a 20 back to back and you'll feel the difference.

XC Legs & DH Guts
    Hey thanks for your help everyone!

Im gonna try out both the 18 and 20.... but from what I gather il prob end up going with the 20!!!

Good to see theres people out there that are willing to give there 2 cents!! thanks again!

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and am on a 20" frame. I ride really problem free (despite having a bad back I've had no pain there at all) but need to adjust the geometry a little. Most are telling me the bike is a little too big but it feels great to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    6'1" - previously rode a 19" Specialized. Felt a bit small, like I was always hanging out over the wheel. When I bought my FS I got a 21" Gary Fisher. It feels a bit big sometimes but mostly in a confidence inspiring way. It can be hard to flick the bike around but maybe that's partially the suspensions fault since I can hop my cyclocross bike around and it's taller with a longer cockpit, much lighter and shorter wheelbase though..