1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

'13 Giant Revel 1 or '13 Speicalized Hardrock Disc

I've been bike shopping the last few days and I've manged to get it down to Giant Revel 1 and the Specialized Hardrock Disc. I will do most of the riding on pave trails and occasionally will take it on dirt trails. Test rode both bike and they feel real similar, to me at least. I have a cheap mountain bike right now, but it is on its last leg. These two bike fit my budget, and an entry level/beginners bike is all I really need. I do have automotive background, so if I need to, I could do some of the maintenance/repair myself.

Now my questions are; which one has the better components, and which one is more bang for the buck? And how durable are the lock-out forks?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I honestly cannot tell you which of these bikes are better, however, I just picked up a Revel 3, I know, its not as good as the Revel 1, But, I really like it, everything on it seems to be quality built. Although since mine did not come with disc brakes I'm gonna hafta upgrade those, sometime in the future.
    Everything I have done with it so far proved that the bike was up to it, my skills just haven't reached the level to adequately push the bike to its limits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Both bikes in this price point are going to be similar. If I am looking at the right bikes it looks like the giants fork has more travel with a lockout on it which could be beneficial of your on paved trails. Otherwise they are similar so I would say go with the one that fits you best or if they both fit the same buy the one you think looks the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Choose which ever you like the most. The bikes are basically the same but with different MFR's . They are common and popular brands as well so you cant separated the bikes like that. Just like I said in the beginning Choose what was the best after you test rode it.

Cow Clicker
    Pick a color. You won't notice much difference between them.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    LOL, was going to say if there's a difference, it's something like who has closer to "your" stem, or bars you like better.

You should get a Hardrock. Because I have one. So they must be awesome.

FYI, there are two bikes called the "Specialized Hardrock Disc" for this year. In theory, you could get a more intelligent comparison by saying which wheel size you looked at.

Come to think of it, there are two Giant Revel 1 bikes.

Anyway, neither 29er has either of the things I worry about on bikes in this pricepoint. So if color doesn't settle it and being as cool as me doesn't settle it, flip a coin.

EDIT: People do have holy wars about SRAM vs Shimano drivetrains. If you like the shifters on one or the other better, that can help you decide. They should both work, and while I have my reasons for preferring the brand I use, other people disagree with me and they have their reasons too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am 99.9% confident to say 13 Giant Revel 1 is better

-Fork, XCM>XCT, plus 20mm more travel
    -Handle bar, 31.8mm>25.4mm
    -Front dearailleur, Shimano Altus>Tourney
    -Rear dearailleur, Sram X4>Shimano Altus
    -Shifter/brake levers, seprate shifter/brake lever>integrated brake lever
    and more

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    I am 99.9% confident to say 13 Giant Revel 1 is better

-Fork, XCM>XCT, plus 20mm more travel
    -Handle bar, 31.8mm>25.4mm
    -Front dearailleur, Shimano Altus>Tourney
    -Rear dearailleur, Sram X4>Shimano Altus
    -Shifter/brake levers, seprate shifter/brake lever>integrated brake lever
    and more
    For the 26er? The 29er Revel 1 comes with XCT 80mm, and Alivio rear der. though.

It just depends on which wheel size he's looking at i guess.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Uh-oh... we're comparing red apples and green apples, but are the red ones Granny Smith or Golden Delicious?

eff
    mtbr member
    I bought the Revel over the Hardrock. The reason was that the Revel was a better value and came with higher grade components. Now that I have replaced all those components with better parts, fork, drivetrain, etc., my advice is to buy the one you feel more emotionally attached to LOL. Also consider your LBS and which shop you feel more inclined to deal with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Also consider your LBS and which shop you feel more inclined to deal with.
    Could not agree more with that advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ^^^
    LOL, was going to say if there's a difference, it's something like who has closer to "your" stem, or bars you like better.

You should get a Hardrock. Because I have one. So they must be awesome.

FYI, there are two bikes called the "Specialized Hardrock Disc" for this year. In theory, you could get a more intelligent comparison by saying which wheel size you looked at.

Come to think of it, there are two Giant Revel 1 bikes.

Anyway, neither 29er has either of the things I worry about on bikes in this pricepoint. So if color doesn't settle it and being as cool as me doesn't settle it, flip a coin.
    Are you referring to the Hardrock Sport Disc or the Hardrock disc 29er? Those were the only 2 I saw at the LBS. Same goes with the Giant (Revel 1 26er and Revel 1 29er).

Thanks for all the advices. I'll go back to both shop and I'll see who can give me a better deal. Also, are the price posted on the manufacture website the MSRP?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yes, the MSRP is the price on the web site. Shops vary as to how much wiggle room they have - it depends on their contract with their dealer, their business model, their location, etc. I've even heard of markups over the prices on the web site, although I don't know that I've ever seen that myself.

Anyway, I was looking at the "Hardrock Disc 29er." Specialized does make it hard to refer to their bikes specifically. At least with the named Fishers, there's almost zero ambiguity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Let me throw another bike to your dilemma! I was just in the same boat! Have you looked at Haro? I just picked up a 13 Black Haro Trail 29er for $679 at my LBS! Great components at lower prices! I'm very happy with it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Go with the Giant Revel, very smooth riding, you won't regret it...

mtbr member
    I went with the Hardrock SPORT disc 29er
    It comes with a lighter frame, lockout & Hydro brakes..the whole bike only weighs about 27lbs acording to my "luggage scale".
    I love it!
    '13 Giant Revel 1 or '13 Speicalized Hardrock Disc-779928d1363031477-13-hardrock-sport-29er-102_3685.jpg
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Yes, the MSRP is the price on the web site. Shops vary as to how much wiggle room they have - it depends on their contract with their dealer, their business model, their location, etc. I've even heard of markups over the prices on the web site, although I don't know that I've ever seen that myself.
    Both shop has the bike listed at MSRP. So that should give me a little room to negotiate with them then.

Quote Originally Posted by JayboFL29 View Post
    Let me throw another bike to your dilemma! I was just in the same boat! Have you looked at Haro? I just picked up a 13 Black Haro Trail 29er for $679 at my LBS! Great components at lower prices! I'm very happy with it!
    I don't think my LBS carry Haro. Or I might of not seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    I went with the Hardrock SPORT disc 29er
    It comes with a lighter frame, lockout & Hydro brakes..the whole bike only weighs about 27lbs acording to my "luggage scale".
    I love it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	779928d1363031477-13-hardrock-sport-29er-102_3685.jpg 
Views:	14676 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	780166
    I've test rode that model too. I like the idea of having hydro brakes, but for what I'm using the bike for, it wouldn't worth it for me to spend the extra $100.
    Last edited by RiceBandit; 03-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member

Update

Finally picked up my new bike yesterday. Ended up with the Revel 1. Any ways, thanks again for all the advices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceBandit View Post
    Finally picked up my new bike yesterday. Ended up with the Revel 1. Any ways, thanks again for all the advices.
    way to go

mtbr member
    now get out and ride
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful