1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New question here. 10' Cannondale F7, 08' Giant Yukon, 11' Giant Revel 1 What's best or any other ideas

I am trying to find a mountain bike for some moderate to semi rough terrain in upstate NY. My buddy has a Giant Boulder which is ok but a little heavy. I am in the $500 - $600 range. local shop has a '10 Cannondale F7 at $549, '08 Giant Yukon at $499 both never ridden.also looking at '11 Giant revel 1. $459-510 and some other specialized bikes. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Giant Talon 29er 2, Trek/Fisher Marlin. Both are 29ers and both have an MSRP of around $700, but I'm sure the local bike stores have lower prices. The Marlin is also available as a single speed. Look at 29ers before 26ers!
    Out of your list of possible bikes, the Yukon or the Revel. I'd go with the Revel over the Yukon though. My girlfriend has a Yukon. Awesome bike for the price, but the rear derailleur sucks! If you can spend a grand, the Yukon FX would be ideal! It's basically the older 4" travel trance with their proven Maestro suspension design. Older models may be cheaper...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a couple buddies who ride Revels everywhere...and love them. At what you can spend you can also buy the Revel 0. Take a look.