1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

09 Gary Fisher Tassajara - $500?

Hey guys, I'm still looking for a bike. I was really thinking about just getting the Forge from Target.com, but the entry-level Dart is just making me go...ahh.

I came across 2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara with an asking price of $500.

The specs are:

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
    Sugg Retail $1,079.99
    Weight Unspecified
    Sizes 13, 15.5", 17.5", 19", 21"
    Colors Electric Blue

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Gold Series Butted Aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model RockShox Tora SL Solo Air, 100mm travel

Components
    Component Group Unspecified
    Brakeset Shimano M486 w/160mm Rotor brakes, Shimano M486 hydraulic levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX Shadow
    Crankset Shimano M-428, 22/32/44 teeth
    Pedals Wellgo LU-216A
    Bottom Bracket Unspecified
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain Unspecified
    Seatpost Bontrager SSR
    Saddle Bontrager Race
    Handlebar Bontrager Race
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Bontrager SSR
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Semi integrated

Wheels
    Hubs Shimano M495 Centerlock Disc
    Rims Bontrager Ranger Disc, 32-hole
    Tires Front: 26 x 2.25" Bontrager Jones XR, Rear: 26 x 2.20" Bontrager Jones XR

Stock photo:

It's definitely kind of gay looking with the baby blue and white color combo, but I'm after performance. The weather is really starting to get decent in my neck of the woods so I'm getting real itchy for a bike.. Mods are "...Easton EA50 Monkey Bars and Primo Super Tenderizer pedals. Full set of SKS fenders..." So from the spec list, it has a Tora Solo Air 100mm and hydraulic brakes over new entry-level $400-600 hardtails from the LBS.

What do you guys think? If I go look at it, is there anything I should really pay extra attention to?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The tassajera is a sweet bike. It was the first bike I rode at my LBS and what I compared everything else to. In the end it was just out of my price range or I would have it in the garage right now. That price seems too good to be true, so I would be a little skeptical. If it checks out and turns out to be the real deal in good shape I don't think you'll find a better deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd165
    The tassajera is a sweet bike. It was the first bike I rode at my LBS and what I compared everything else to. In the end it was just out of my price range or I would have it in the garage right now. That price seems too good to be true, so I would be a little skeptical. If it checks out and turns out to be the real deal in good shape I don't think you'll find a better deal.
    Thanks for the reply, and I totally hear you about wanting a bike in the next price/component bracket lol. How has the Ibex held up? I used to browse their site back in the day after I stopped riding (and sold my Giant Iguana Disc), thinking wow, the prices are pretty good.

In the listing the guy states that "You can still get this bike new at River City for 870.00." So I guess he's basing his $500 asking price on that- 09's are still available new at a discounted price.

He also states "Great Shape, never wrecked. Decided to go to a full suspension and no longer need this bike. A few scratches because I do actually ride the bike. Performs great on the trail and is in great shape."

I recall he had this bike posted a while ago (at a higher price), along with another- a woman's bike. Now it's just the Fisher posted.

Here's the tiny pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Go ride it. That seems like a reasonable deal if it fits and is in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been real happy with my Ibex. Being a rookie without much experience or knowledge I was hesitant to buy something I couldn't see or ride first, but the more I looked at my LBS the more I found myself going back to the Ibex site and comparing price vs product. Of course in the end I went with the Ibex and have had zero problems so far.

I definatly see the benefits of using a LBS and will explore that option next time, but feel like I did good on this one and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So... when are you checking this thing out?? Keep us posted!

TBH, as much as color shouldn't have much to do with the decision, that color would really turn me off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not sure if I will.

I was right in that his was lowered price, and they won't go any lower right now. They won't include the shock pump as they're going full suspension. It's also...about 60 miles away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ended up seeing this bike on craigslist as well and purchsed it last night. What a deal. Very good condition with minor scratches from the cable sleeves. Dude even gave me the receipt. What a great bike to replace my 1996 HKEK.

mtbr member
    yah other then the color it looks like a decent rig.... congrats on the purchase to the new guy!
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Congrats on the new bike and the deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider
    I ended up seeing this bike on craigslist as well and purchsed it last night. What a deal. Very good condition with minor scratches from the cable sleeves. Dude even gave me the receipt. What a great bike to replace my 1996 HKEK.
    You rat bas...I mean congratulations! How about some pics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya
    You rat bas...I mean congratulations! How about some pics?
    EA70 Monkeybar Risers with SKS Fenders (not pictured).

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Damn I wish I lived in the metro area, there's always tons of bikes on CL. Down in Solame there isn't jack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nevermind. Will ask on my own thread instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If it's in good shape it's definitely worth at least $250 in my book.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mines in excellent condition. I wouldn't sell anywhere near that cheap so 250 is a great deal.