1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

08 stumpjumper fsr expert; should i get?

Hi yall
    I am new and like most of us, am looking at buying my first mtn bike.
    I have been riding road bikes for couple years and now wanting to do some mtn biking in the summer while the snowboards are stored away.

Me think downhill, XC will be what I would be primarily be doing.

I have a chance to buy an used 08 SJ FSR expert 26ers.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

I have a few questions.

What do you look for in comfort? The one common suggestion I have read is get the one feels right. I have taken the bike out to do some single track and fire road. It felt fine. Climbs nice .. My techniques were also very bad too. If it is like a road bike, I wouldn't know if there's anything wrong with the sizing until I take it out for like a solid 4 hours of riding.

Okay I need to keep this short..

Any issue buying a 2008 if I need to service them? get parts etc.?

Should i even consider a 6 years old 08 SJ FSR Expert? or go for the new models

What's a good price for them?

Are there any general issues or historical problems I should be aware of that year's model?

Thank you so much in advanced..!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert - New and Used Bike Value

This is a good site to get an idea of values for used bikes.

'Downhill' typically means riding up a chairlift (or a truck, or a bunch of pushing) then riding down what's usually some more advanced terrain. Like snowboarding in the trees or parks basically. It's kind of a specific niche that benifits from some pretty specialized gear. IME, something along the lines of that FSR would be a versatile trail bike that you could do a bit of light DH on occasionally. I had a lot of good times on FSRs.

Buying used is the best bang for your buck usually, but a lot depends on your level of comfort messing with things. If you've got any mechanical aptitude, and take the time to do a little research on what to look for in a used bike, I'd recommend going that route.

I don't have any problems keeping my older bikes up and running in general as far as parts availability, etc. Wear parts are pretty standard. The one thing on that bike that I'm not sure about is the 'brain' technology. It's always been something that just didn't appeal to me, and so I'm not very familiar with it's maintenance or durability. You could probably ask around the Specialized mfger forum on this site and get some more specifics on it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the reply..
    No then I am not doing downhill. I didn't know it has a specific meaning to it. My primarily ride would then be trail riding. Climbing and then dropping. The only time I have been was so fun. I'll turn to the Specialized forum and see what they say. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No sweat. In general, I'd say if since you've got some riding experience and an idea of what works for you, if the bike is in good shape, the price is reasonable, and there aren't any glaring weak links that pop up, that would make a great all-around trail bike. You'll probably have to change the DU bushings on the shock on a somewhat regular basis, but it's cheap and pretty easy. (That's been my experience with older FSRs anyway - every once in a great while you get some rattling around the shock, you spend $10 and an hour or so on new bushings and everything's good to go again.) Just in case you get it and next season you're wondering if there's something majorly wrong cuz it's rattling, there's probably not.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's a good question. I am not sure what works for you but it felt fine. I was so concern with what I was doing with the bike then really testing out the bike. I am going to take it out again end of this week. The price is about what the website is showing (~1k). There was some occasional knocking in the bottom bracket. Heard it even when i wasn't paddling really hard. Is sort of sporadic. Saw one big paint chip and in fact I am going to inspect it more carefully tomorrow. I would say mtn biking is so much more technical than road biking. I started off with motorcycle and that really help when i transitioned to road biking - can't say the same for mountain biking yet HAHA

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like a great bike to start on to me.

To make a comparison to sizing a road bike, I feel like I land the bars on my mountain bikes just a little further out than on my road bikes. So reach to the grips on one of my MTBs is a little more than reach to the flats on one of my road bikes, but less than reach to the brake hoods. I use pretty similar-sized stems on all of them, but I'm not a big guy, so I ride the smallest bikes with non-weird geometry - 52s, "mediums," 17s, 18s.

I think you'll find as you get accustomed to it, mountain biking and road riding start to feel more similar. Mountain biking is a lot turnier, of course, and I find it more interesting. I bet you get a lot more comfortable on your road bike too. Kind of like hitting the point on a snowboard where you carve and link turns off-piste too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    What size are you looking for? I see you're in the big bad city (SF) like me. I'm always searching the area for bikes. If I come across one, I can let you know.

2009 Santa Cruz Blur LT2 For Sale

Although thats over your budget by a tad, its worth a shot and see if you can get the price down. Maybe even to your $1000 since it has a tear in the seat, which can be replaced for like $40. Would be worth the 40 minute drive up there.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Spend time to develop fundamental skills and the bike will be unimportant (to an extent). Spend some time here and on other sites like leelikesbikes. Go out and practice some stuff like cornering, clearing objects, working the terrain, and you'll have fun and be relatively safe in no time.

The FSR is great for a do it all bike. I have taken my 07 comp to bike parks and regularly trail ride with it. If it fits, looks to be in good shape (check the frame and rear triangle out carefully!!), and the price is right, grab it and ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

I ride a 2001 stump jumper FSR enduro. No problems win replacement parts. Your bike is NEW compared to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    thanks for the replies. I agree that at my level any bike is "too much bike" for me to even tell the difference. The santa cruz looks pretty sweet too.

I am 6 ft with 33" inseam.