1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

07 Cannondale Prophet 3

Hi Folks,

I grew up racing motocross and unfortnately the doctor said I should quit riding due to injuries that have occured along years, so here I am. I bought this cannondale off a guy that claimed he only rode it a few times for 750.00, and it shows. Everything is stock and I am looking to buy some tubeless wheels. Pricepoint has a wheelset of Mavic Crossmax ST (2009) model for 500.00, but supposely they will not fit my bike because I **MAY**? have a 6 bolt hub? If you could verify this and let me know which wheels I need it would be greatly appreciated. Here is the link. Links to other prices and wheelset is also appreciated, as well as an explanation as to why these do not work.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/208...lset--2009.htm

Thanks,
    Bill

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Is your bike a Lefty or conventional fork?
    The six bolt thing shouldnt matter unless the wheels come with centerlock rotors. I dont think the mavics do............?

If its a Lefty, the front wheel hub needs to be Lefty specific.
    I have those wheels, they are great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It is the conventional fork. I am new to all the terms, but on the bike currently there is 6 bolts that connect the rotor to the hub.

Jun 2005
    yea it seems that one on sale IS the centerlock hubs..Not sure of you cant adapt everything...

the regular 2011 ones are $700 +..
    There are a pair that are $359, RIM brake only though...
    Consider ebay?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks Tony, I appreciate the help. If anyone knows where to buy 2009/2010 models that would be great, but I might just have to fork out the $700.00+ for the 2011 model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Wheels+10.aspx

Or these Mavic. They seem to be more in my price range, but I want them to last.

Jun 2005
    I know very little of those...
    I have had I9's (awesome) and now the ST's, also awesome... Not a hard rider though. No jumps or anything, but i do feel the ST's stand up to abuse.
    Look, this is Illinois, riding here is different than say Colorado.
    Anyone else want to chime in on these?

Also consider if you'd like me to move this to the wheels forum...?

CDT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That would be great, I appreciate it. I am from Arizona, so it's a lot of rocks. If I can get by with the Crosstail, then I will buy those.