1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

06 Rockhopper Comp - Good deal???

Getting back into it after being off for a while (a long while) and looking for a starter, beater bike. Funds are limited as is time, so I dont want to blow a wad on something I may never get to use. Found an 06 Rockhopper Comp on Craigs LIst for $250 obo - wondering if thats too old or if I should keep shopping? It does not have disc brakes which is a biggee and I'm hesitant to be too cheap about something that could break down at a really really bad time but it seems like a good starting place....... .thx -

mtbr member
    Disc brakes should not be a deal breaker when you are looking for a starter/beater bike. That Rockhopper has a bunch of average components on it. Nothing great, nothing terrible. I think $200 would be fair. Ride it for a year and save your money and then sell it for $200 next year and buy a better bike.