1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

03' tassajara..worth 200?

im thinking of buying an 03' tassajara from a co worker for 200 bucks. does that seem like a fair price ? am i getting a good deal or a great deal? i know he took good care of it and it doesnt look beat to hell. its all stock still also.

also not a big thing but the cap for the air shock is missing. not sure what its called but it covers the the thing that you put air into. they are rock shox pilot xc's. can i get a replacement for it?

ride hard take risks
    Back in the day it was about $600 new, today i would pay $100. Your frined is not ripping you off he is asking what he feels is right for what he paid & it's only 3 years old. Unfortunatly for him it has depreciated & is vintage in a sense. Here are a couple of ibex bikes as a compairson of modern bikes.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-350-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    100 for a bike that was 600 3 yrs ago?

also it looks like its a better bike than the first bike you posted...its a 100 bucks more..so whats your point?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by chinolofus
    100 for a bike that was 600 3 yrs ago?

also it looks like its a better bike than the first bike you posted...its a 100 bucks more..so whats your point?
    The 1st bike posted is equal in value to the Cannondale almost, They both have V-brakes. The 2nd bike is what you can get today if you equal the valuse of the bike 3 years ago. You can buy a much better bike today with the same amount of money today. This is my personal oppinion im not telling you what to do, suggestion only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Fisher (Trek) makes a good, solid and fairly light frame. The 2003 components on the Tassajara aren't great, but they are pretty solid...certainly better components than you would get if you were buying a $200 new bike. I put 5,000 miles over three years on my 2003 Tass' and besides ocassional tune-ups to keep the derailleurs working properly after some cable stretch, it was very reliable.

One thing to note is that the Tass came in "disk" and "no-disk." If the one you are looking at was a "no disk," then upgrading to disk brakes will require a new wheel set.

The Pilot XC fork is a little weak, but depending on what you are using the bike for, it could be fine.

What else has been added to the bike? Water bottle cage? Computer? Peddles? Saddle bag? Spare inner tubes? Pump? These all would have been extra's when the bike was new.

If you trust your co-worker and he/she took good care of the bike, then $200 is fair, particularly if any of those extras are still attached. Also, find out where they bought the bike, some shops offer lifetime tune-ups if you purchased the bike there...though this generally only applies to the original owner.

Oh, most importantly perhaps is that the bike fit you!

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ok heres the problem...im not sure if the bike fits me. it might be a bit small. the problem though is i lost the damn cap for the shock and i need a replacement before i give it back. where do i find one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chinolofus
    ok heres the problem...im not sure if the bike fits me. it might be a bit small. the problem though is i lost the damn cap for the shock and i need a replacement before i give it back. where do i find one?

If it doesn't fit, do not buy it.....plain and simple!

This is rule #1 in buying any bike.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Check out Rock Shox web site and call them. Tell them you need the cap for the air shock on a Pilot XC. Good Luck.