1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

**NEW** Need some suggestions

Hey guys, First time poster here... Wondering if anyone has any suggests on a good quality all around sturdy bike... interested in trails.. some possible DH in the future but we shall see.

I know literally nothing about what makes a GOOD first bike, since ive only riden flatland for 7 years, I still enjoy flatland... but its getting a bit boring. So im thinking about looking at trail riding possibly DH in the future.

My price range is roughly 300-475 bucks. Preferable disc breaks if possible.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/cc2.html
    http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...=11&itemid=338

Both of those seemed pretty decent... for the price, any ideas?
    Last edited by Kyuss; 05-21-2007 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Have you looked at Ibex Bikes or Iron Horse? Randall Scott had some good 06 deals.

mtbr member
    For that price range I'd look at a hardtail with disc breaks. I think it would be unwise to try and get a FS for that price although it could probably be done.

All the major manufacturers should have bikes that meet that price point. I would try out as many as possible at your LBS to narrow your search.

Get the bike that you see yourself riding the most! You should be totally stoked on your purchase.

At the end of the day the only thing you should be asking yourself is "What trail do I feel like riding today?"
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

pronounced may-duh
    Don't get hung up on the disc brakes. They are great for mud but at that price point you are gonna be looking at some LOW end discs. I think I might just prefer a decent set of rim brakes to cheap discs. And stay away from full suspension. You really need to be spending at least a grand to be looking at full suspension. Under a grand and a hardtail is your best bet.