1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: @&$!@ flats

mtbr member
    May 2013

@&$!@ flats

New cdale trail SL 29er 2. Mostly street/sidewalk going over a few curbs. Some empty lots or new clearing with chunky rock. First trail this weekend. 4th flat I'm changing now. I'm athletic. 215# but the bike shop knew that. Is it rims? Tires? My weight? This thing IS a mtb and made for this right? It's got wtb nine line tires and dc 3.0 rims.

mtbr member
    Could be your tire pressure is too low and the tube is being pinched between the rim and object?
    What pressure are you riding at? Also what do the tubes look like? You can tell a lot by looking at them.
    I'm 195 and pinch flat in the first 20 min ride with my new bike. I (same as you) assumed the bike shop sized me up and adjusted accordingly.

banned
    Aug 2012
    It might be made for it, but tires and tubes are nothing special.

Need more information !!

mtbr member

Re: @&$!@ flats

Where are your flats happening? If its in the tread area you just have bad luck of running things over that puncture the tire/tube. If your getting flats on the sides of the tube (close to tire bead/rim area but no sidewall damage, ur running your tire pressure to low and getting pinch flats.

I'm 280lbs (clyde) with gear and ride a trek marlin 29er in all the conditions you do (but ride trails alot too) and only flat I've had this year is when I was outta town visiting family and rode a trail there. Something sliced my tire sidewall thus sliced side of tube. Last year had bad luck with thorns in the later season one to which deflated my tire so fast I pinched the tube as well.

I would recommend sealant in the tubes as it sounds like where you ride most has a lot of things to puncture tires.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wow thanks for fast replies..I just patched it up and washed it the last 2 I patched I filled both to 40psi, tires say 45-65, what should it be? Yes the hole is in the side with no sidewall tire damage. Should I go to 50? Thanks guys just a little frustrated I seem to get a flat every time I ride. I don't understand what do the rims look like? What other info is needed? Thx!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Also I don't know how to give reputation points but thanks for helping!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What is the sealant called and will it damage rims?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by txhillcountry View Post
    What is the sealant called and will it damage rims?
    No just tires. I like Stan's NoTube.

However, the new version are free of Ammonia which should be good. I'm using both old and new version. I did have a problem but that's just the cost of converting, I figured. Out of 20 tires only 2 failed not too bad. Like I said, nowadays that issue is gone.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Wow thanks for fast replies..I just patched it up and washed it the last 2 I patched I filled both to 40psi, tires say 45-65, what should it be? Yes the hole is in the side with no sidewall tire damage. Should I go to 50? Thanks guys just a little frustrated I seem to get a flat every time I ride. I don't understand what do the rims look like? What other info is needed? Thx!!
    YEP, more tire pressure is needed.
    You're getting what is referred to as a pinch flat ... The tube is getting pinched between the tire and rim when you hit something hard like a rock/stump/branch, or catch some air.

What were you running before you pumped them up to 40psi ?
    50 would probably be better ... It depends on terrain and how you ride.
    More aggressive riding = More pressure, or you'll keep experiencing the same, and might even damage a rim.

IMO, Sealant won't really help much in this situation.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry tire says 35-65. I dont know what the shop originally had it at but went flat then too. Ok I will go to 55 and see if that helps. Thanks for pinch tire info!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Either go tubeless or put some heavy duty tubes in there with some slime....I have SL4 29er and running heavy duty and slime and not one flat in 8 months. Just make sure to watch that tire pressure
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It also help to watch for sharp rocks and and lift your weight a bit when you go over a curb or a rock in general. THis way less pressure is on the tube and the ride is smoother.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks I have it at 50 psi and will see if that helps. What is the name of the heavy duty tubes and slime?

local trails rider
    50 psi ??!!

What size are your tires?
    I'm heavier than you but would never go to that kind of pressures, for trails, with my 2.4" wide tires.

I'm sure I'd get lots of pinch flats just ploughing into curbs and rocks. Paying attention to where I'm riding and handling the bike accordingly helps.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

I AM I AM
    What sort of flats are you getting, is it like a pin prick hole from thorns etc? Or is it a pinch flat (more like a cut in the tube)?

Slime (just ask your bike shop for slime or goo that you can put inside the tubes, brand doesn't matter) should help your problem if you're getting punctures due to sharp objects (thorns etc).
    If you're pinch flatting you need to look at tyre pressure as mentioned, also try to ride more smoothly and if none of that helps perhaps try buying different tyres / tubes.

I know people are saying you shouldn't need to run 50psi, but if you're doing urban riding it's not uncommon for bmx guys to run well above that (however the tyres on bmxes are rated as such too). For riding in dirt lower pressures give you better grip etc.

I've only ever pinch flatted due to running too low a pressure combined with having a large tyre on a rim meant for a narrower tyre (ie 2.5 tyre on an xc rim combined with low pressure and hard riding). Some tires and tubes are probably more prone to pinch flatting as well, particularly tyres that have thinner sidewalls I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you checked the inside of the tire for things like thrones and other sharp debris?

We still don't know if you are getting punctures or pinches. That would help with a diagnosis.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm getting tiny pin holes, not long tears, on the side wall. And inhave checked the tire. Rode 10 miles today at 45psi with no problems but didn't go off any curbs. Hoping that was the prob thx for the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm getting tiny pin holes, not long tears, on the side wall. And inhave checked the tire. Rode 10 miles today at 45psi with no problems but didn't go off any curbs. Hoping that was the prob thx for the help.
    Tiny holes suggests thorns. Going off curbs is probably not the issue.

mtbr member
    And pinch flats at 40psi?
    If it's thorn punctures etc then you could try the heavy duty slime tubes etc or go tubeless. I was getting a puncture a week with tubes, now tubeless I haven't had another yet and run them at 24/28 psi. (I'm only 175lb though).

B.Ike
    I don't know much about the tires and tubes you got on this bike, but it's not uncommon for manufactures to save money and weight by selling you a bike with light weight tires and tubes. A tire with a thicker casing might solve your problems.
    Most of my wheels are tubeless, but the tubes I do run have sealant in them.
    50 psi sounds painful to me. I'm 230 and my wheels w/tubes average around 30 psi.
    Also make sure you aren't getting repeat flats from the same thorn, (inspect the inside of your tire before re-inflating)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As said above - pump those puppies up to 50+ for street riding, and work on getting smoother over square-edged hits, like curbs. Get your butt up off the saddle, help the bike over.

In my expericence, Slime and/or Goo are not worth cost/mess to deal with. Plus, they make patching a small punture a total PIA, as a patch won't stick when there's goop all over the place. Work on getting smoother, maybe pick up some burlier tires.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

@&$!@ flats

Pinholes are not typically pressure related.

Thorns or other debris in the tires are more likely. You need to thoroughly check the tire to remove them or you will keep getting flats.

For pinch flat reduction, the secret is to not slam into the hard pointy bits.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: @&$!@ flats

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Pinholes are not typically pressure related.

Thorns or other debris in the tires are more likely. You need to thoroughly check the tire to remove them or you will keep getting flats.

For pinch flat reduction, the secret is to not slam into the hard pointy bits.
    Plus 1. Run a glove or cloth along the inside of your tire to check for any offending objects. If there is something like a stuck Thorn, it'll snag. Psi is heavy tire Dependant. I can run much lower psi on new higher volume set then on my old ones

mtbr member
    Its definitely not pressure, your pressure is already sky high. Try 35 psi, but like others said theres likely something puncturing your tubes (debis, etc).

Ive been a similar weight and ran 25-29psi in 2.1-2.35 tires of average size. Dented a few rims, but never pinch flatted.

Happy Trails

@&$!@ flats

Tubeless. Only way to ride. Have your LBS set your bike up with tubeless, sealant and about 27-33 psig, and you will wonder how you ever rode with tubes. More traction, and less flats.
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 06-25-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast