1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

$8 budget light set - LED headlight and taillight

*I am NOT affiliated with the website or the sale*

DailySteals | The Heist

Came across this deal for a choice between two headlights and a tail light for $8 shipping included. Figured for a cheap backup or beginner budget set you can't go wrong. Wonder if there is anyway to hack the headlights to maybe get more lumens out of them...

(mods feel free to move/delete if not allowed)
    2013 Fuji Nevada 1.5 D

mtbr member
    should go in the Commuting forum or in Lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeshan66 View Post

DailySteals | The Heist

Came across this deal for a choice between two headlights and a tail light for $8 shipping included. Figured for a cheap backup or beginner budget set you can't go wrong. Wonder if there is anyway to hack the headlights to maybe get more lumens out of them...

(mods feel free to move/delete if not allowed)
    The light you posted wouldn't be allowed on some of the trails I ride. For MTBing, this would be a lot better than the one you linked: Headlight, Headlight Headlamp | Meritline.com
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    for that price I'd spend $5 more and get the 4000lumen Chinese light.

Maybe I should of started a "show me you $10 or less light" thread lol
    2013 Fuji Nevada 1.5 D

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

The one I posted is fairly bright... it's obviously not 1200 lumen but it is as bright as my $200 Baja designs stryker. I actually bought one for $12.50 shipped a while back when they had a 50% off coupon. It also has decent run times but the charger is very low quality. I don't know if it has an auto shutoff feature or not as the indicating light only indicates that the battery is connected to it so I time the charge on mine.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member

Do you mean those Cree lights? they look kinda nice, but I haven't seen any in person yet.

Rogue Exterminator

DailySteals | The Heist

No way would I use that light on single track.
    It is good for basic paved cruising but it wouldn't take much to outrun that light.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Note that it uses standard batteries. Your savings will be eaten up buying batteries for it. You could get rechargeable NiMH, but rechargeable Lithium Ion is the way to go for maximum performance -- "performance" meaning brightness and run time.

I use LED flashlights with single 18650 lithium cells on my handlebar and helmet from eBay -- they work great and are about as inexpensive as you are going to get. Extra batteries are only a few dollars each, so I carry 2 extra for each light. Usually one battery each gets me thru a typical club night ride, however.

For the taillight, I have a Cateye that uses AAA cells. I got NiMH rechargeables for it.

mtbr member
    My friend bought one of the Chinese "Cree" lights with the two LED head unit and seperate battery.
    The unit seems very good for under 25, it's certainly not "4000 lumens" but it's brighter than my 1200 lumen Taz (which cost me 200)
    The construction of the Chinese unit is very good, although internet forums report issues with the battery.
    I'll bet my Taz is made in a similar factory.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

$8 budget light set - LED headlight and taillight

I suggest to buy a highest quality of strong aircraft aluminum headlights which you can bring anywhere and anytime with out worrying your day, instead of just buying budget light set that you don't even know what's gonna happen next.
    For more information about me and my product please visit http://brighteyesbicyclelights.com.

Rogue Exterminator
    A lot of us don't have tons of money to throw in to the best bike lights. If you buy "the highest quality", and buy 2 you could have over $1000 in just lights. (Look at the price of some of the Lupine lights)

However, I do have $50 to buy a couple of cheap Chinese lights and then carry a spare flashlight in my pack in case I need to hike out. I bought 2 almost 2 years ago and one is still working fine. So yeah, they can be hit or miss but for the price, I can live with that.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: $8 budget light set - LED headlight and taillight

From a reliability standpoint, two $25 Chinese lights will be better than one top-of-the-line $500 light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a Cree 2x light that I use all the time and it's great. I paid 25 bucks for it and it works. I also have a flash light and handlebar bracket that I got for like 10 bucks and that flashlight has come in handy more than a few times. Could have I spent 10x more? Sure.. But it's just a flash light.. I don't see why they should be more. An led, a circuit board, and some metal... Really? It's not too complicated.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a Superflea helmet mount I use. I like it just fine but I wish I could find jut a mount that holds a flashlight. I have a few flashlights of varying lumens but because of the lack of a mount I have to resort to duct tape.
    Price point is relative, especially with flashlights.