1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Is $600 too much for a used 2010 Cannondale F5 (supposedly in very good condition)?

Looking to buy my first mountain bike, will be ridden on trails (some roots and rocks, but nothing extreme by any means) and pavement and looking to spend ~$500 - $700. I realize at this price point I will be getting low end components, but that is fine with me for now. I would like a nice frame worth putting better components on in the future if needed.

Found a used 2010 Cannondale F5 on craigslist for $600 (says barely used, in very good condition). Have not seen the bike in person yet so I don't have strong opinions about it, but I am wondering if $600 seems like a fair price for a 4 year old bike? Seems a little high to me, but I have read that Cannondale makes good frames and this bike generally has pretty good reviews.

I would appreciate any advice or insight on this bike or suggestions about other options.

mtbr member
    Yes. Way too much. $350-400 is a fair price. The bike was only around $800 new and it's four years old. Bikes depreciate like cars. The older it is, the less it's worth.

As far as Cannondale and good frames...yes, they make excellent frames. Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Giant, ect....all make great frames and spend loads of money on R&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can get an idea on prices from bike blue book ,ebay and craigs list.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It only takes one sale on Craig's List in which the buyer is really happy to fork over the cash to get a seller into pricing for yield. I like bikepedia.com for helping me figure out prices, and expect to negotiate anything I buy via CL.

What fork's on it?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It only takes one sale on Craig's List in which the buyer is really happy to fork over the cash to get a seller into pricing for yield. I like bikepedia.com for helping me figure out prices, and expect to negotiate anything I buy via CL.

What fork's on it?
    It has an RST DUECE 1.5 COIL WITH REBOUND ADJUST AND LOCKOUT, 100MM TRAVEL

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nice caps.

$600 is too much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx