1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Idea! $550 For a new mountain bike suggestions?

buying a new bike last was ridin hard and starting to fall apart. I do lot of trail mud riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Read the top of this page. You need to tell us what type of riding you are going to do .It sounds like you have a bike already ,what is it ,what is falling apart?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    i do alot of trail mud riding and this is my bike I have a project at hand. $600 suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bikes fall apart a lot more when riding in mud. Nature of the beast.

Please say the trails you ride in the mud aren't actual public trails, and are dirt roads or on your own land. Riding trails while they're muddy can destroy them, and a majority of the public trails that are out there are made by volunteers and fellow bike riders. Basically, please don't ruin their hard work for you're 15 minutes of fame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Its my land i rains alot here and i know it does i try to keep it as clean as possible.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm in the Pacific Northwest. Lotta rain here too. More and more of our trails are getting armored, and getting broader bench cuts and more grade reversals. At least the grade reversals are fun.

$550 can be a pretty nice secondhand hardtail. Phone around and see if any of your local shops do used. Ride a bunch of bikes and buy your favorite.

Retail, you'll still do better than what you've been riding. But I'd rather have an older Nissan than a newer Kia.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx