mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New question here. $500 Budget. Which Bikes?

On a $500 and under budget, which bike models make good choices for beginners?

mtbr member
    You could do worse than the GT Avalanche 3.0

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1092814_-1___

Huckin' trails
    I think you should consider what type of riding you want (XC, AM, FR, DH?) and then check in the last years models specials or classified... any of the riding type can fit the budget, but I think that a $500, a lot of choices exist and about 3/4 of them are crappy bikes... so get your style or get a 3" XC bike, like a Jamis and then upgrade later on...

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Windsor Cliff 4900 looks pretty sweet.

Seriously, though - I think it's all about used at that price, unless you luck into a '10 bike still on the floor. Phone around to your local shops and see if anyone carries used, or has a closeout for you. They can at least ballpark your size based on your height, enough that it's worth taking a look at a bike.

The GT suggested above is not a bad option.

If you can stretch your budget to a Redline D 440, at least they don't have a POS fork stuck to the front like most inexpensive bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Huckin' trails
    I got my $1 600 Freeride for $650 in the classified... It was a 2006 model, like new and the guy had back problems, so he did not use it much... I bought it a year ago and I'm pretty happy with it.

Check local classified, you can get good deal quite often. If you have the money ready.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    LMAO. I thought we have already been through this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I heard Trek 820s were pretty sweet!!!!!!!

But seriously the GT Avalanche is not a bad pick. Before finding the Windsor I was seriously considering buying my son a 2010 Avalanche that our LBS had marked down to $440 since my son loved the red/white paint and I figured that even though the components are inferior to a similiar priced BD bike the resale would probably be better because of the name recognition. Then I found the 2010 Windsor and the component spec was so far ahead of the GT and $60 cheaper to boot and I just couldn't pass it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think your best bet would be a Giant Revel 1 - average retail price is $510...gotta figure in a little extra for tax:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ed/7509/44108/

If that turns out to be a little above budget after the tax, consider the Revel 2 - average retail is $390:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ue/7509/44109/

Only problem with the Revel 2 and most other bikes under $500 is that they come with a 7 speed freewheel hub, which is weaker than 8 speed and above, but if you aren't going to be doing any jumping, that won't effect you. Here are some other options in that category for under $500:

The Trek 3700 Disc for $499:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...es/3700_disc/#

The Trek (Gary Fisher) Tarpon at $460 will be similar to the 3700 in some ways, but it will handle better off road. It doesn't come with disc brakes, but the lower end disc brakes are crap anyway, and honestly, V-brakes work better in most conditions (when you are not riding in rain or mud). The 3700 will be a little more comfortable for longer rides, but the Tarpon has awesome off road riding geometry:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...tails/tarpon/#

There is also the Specialized Hardrock for $420:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Anyway, these are some options. Just go to your local bike stores and try a bunch out, and pick the one out that feels best. While the specs won't be as nice as the Windsor 4900, you will get the service of a bike store, you will have a NAME BRAND BIKE to show off to your friends, and you can also make upgrades over time as your budget allows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

specialized

+1 on the hardrock

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I'm looking at the recommendations, how far off is the LBS average pricing vs MSRP?

ETA: Also, the wife will not be jumping, and, most likely I won't either until I gain experience. The 13 year old boy has taken over the 820, lol.

So, I'm looking for me and the wife, and something for the 10 year old girl. Honestly, our trail riding will be in local and state parks on easy trails, and our road riding will be in our neighborhood. The wife most likely not ever be tearing it up off road. She's coming off foot surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from her sole of her foot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    for the Giant Revel line if your LBS deals with them. Solid frame, good components for the price range, all around great entry level bike. Typically an LBS will undercut the MSRP by 10% or so (that's what I got on my Revel 0), with the added benefit of free maintenance/tuneups for a period (usually the first year). They will also usually include added discounts on additional accessories or parts upgrades. If you're planning on getting multiple bikes I'm sure you'd get an even better deal. Any LBS has the flexibility to haggle somewhat. Good luck with your search.

Edit: Read your "bike inferiority" thread after my original reply....if you're going to re-order the 4900 from BD you can't go wrong with that either really. Bottom line, like others have already said....ride everything and anything if you can, and the best bike for you is the one you like riding the most regardless of what it says on it.
    Last edited by runkulus; 07-14-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: New Info

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got my 2012 Hardrock Disk for $519. Good bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by firemark View Post
    When I'm looking at the recommendations, how far off is the LBS average pricing vs MSRP?

ETA: Also, the wife will not be jumping, and, most likely I won't either until I gain experience. The 13 year old boy has taken over the 820, lol.

So, I'm looking for me and the wife, and something for the 10 year old girl. Honestly, our trail riding will be in local and state parks on easy trails, and our road riding will be in our neighborhood. The wife most likely not ever be tearing it up off road. She's coming off foot surgery to remove a plantar fibroma from her sole of her foot.
    Usually zero dollars. If you talk to them or get them itching to sell you something they will knock off 20-50 dollars. The Trek dealers only get a few of those per year so the odds are they will use it to get someone to buy a 1k bike not a 400 dollar one.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Only problem with the Revel 2 and most other bikes under $500 is that they come with a 7 speed freewheel hub, which is weaker than 8 speed and above, but if you aren't going to be doing any jumping, that won't effect you.
    I think it's stupid to spend money on a bike with a freewheel. Mountain biking means the wheels are not always on the ground, and even road riders had problems with hubs for 7-speed freewheels. Specialized recently decided they weren't going to use these on mountain bikes anymore, a decision I very much respect. So, for me, the bottom-barrel bike that I'd still consider a worthwhile starter MTB is the base-model Hardrock. It still has the same low-spec components as every other MTB at that price range, but at least it doesn't have a bunch of unsupported axle on the driveside of the rear hub.

I really wish that some of the major companies would decide to revisit rigid forks for their entry bikes. IMO, a rigid bike with a 3x8 drivetrain and V-brakes (and disc tabs, maybe even disc hubs) would be a great package for someone who wants to get into the sport and doesn't make much money, or is carrying a lot of debt and expenses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My GT Outpost cost me $300. It was a "last-year" model so they gave me a sale price. Lasted me for 3 years on local trails, gravel roads, and roads in general. Great bike, no complaints, and I still use it from time to time. With a fork and brake upgrade I would probably switch back to it instead of my current bike.

I think they replaced the Outpost with the Avalanche though. The frames look very similar.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought it.

$499, 18" frame.

Picture Unrelated
    I bought it.

$499, 18" frame.
    Did you cancel the order yet?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I bought it.

$499, 18" frame.
    Really ? WOW cool congrats!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Well played.

I'm tired of looking. I'll stick with it.

mtbr member
    Its just about as good as the other cool

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Nice.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For me, the Diamondback Overdrive, with some shuffling of parts, would probably be the best bike they offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do ya'll think the 18" frame is gonna be too big for my 5'6" frame? Or, can I adapt easily???

Fat-tired Roadie
    Could be. Better cancel.

It depends on your proportions. For me, that bike would be a little long. I'm a bit over 5'8", but fairly leggy for my height - I like a shorter reach than some people my height. For a person with a long torso and arms, it could be spot on.

For an adult just getting back into riding, it's probably not going to matter much. When your rides start running longer, it's going to be more important. "Short" and "long" are subjective, of course. I'd break it at about a half hour in the saddle.

If you've been riding a while, you should figure out your top tube length or reach on your current bike, so you can make an intelligent comparison.

There's also an issue of what kind of handling bias you want your bike to have. I like a 90mm stem, and I like it better than an 80 in terms of handling as well as it fits my body better. I tried a 100mm and didn't feel a problem with the handling, but it wasn't so great for my back. A lot of people really love little short stems. So to get the same riding position, if you wanted one of those, you'd need a bigger bike.

EDIT: Oops - for comparison, my bike is supposed to have a 590mm ETT. I'm too lazy to confirm it. The DB you ordered is supposed to have a 596mm ETT. The next size down is quite small, at 560mm or so. 10mm makes a pretty big difference in dialing in fit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry to say it, but it is too big. I am 5'9" and have that bike and think a 16" would be a better fit.
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Sorry to say it, but it is too big. I am 5'9" and have that bike and think a 16" would be a better fit.
    Too bad, you gonna have to send me the bike back, now that they do not accept returns

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I hate to say it, but you are really proving the point of the vets who say that beginners and online bikes shouldn't mix. First you bought a very nice bike that would have fit you properly but got nervous about the name on the frame and cancelled the order. Now you have bought another pretty nice bike, still with an "off brand" name on the frame, but it does not fit you well.

Go to an LBS and get fitted, test out the bike. Yes, you will end up with Wallyworld level components, but it will be professionally assembled AND it will fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i see a few people recommending the hardrock models in here.. anybody have expereince with the hardrock disk or hardrock disk 29er? i sold my trek fuel 70 a few weeks ago due to being way to small for me (it was free).. but after riding for tha time period im dieing not being on a bike again.. body is sore and weak and im gettin lazy again...

and yes ive been checking craigslist everyday since i sold the trek... nothing under 1000 with a frame anywhere near my size.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I remember reading the spec. sheet and thinking I'd skip straight from the base-model Hardrock to the Hardrock Sport Disc, if I was choosing between the two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a 2008 Hardrock Sport Disc, and loved it. It was my first real mountain bike, but it took quite a beating and rode very nice, especially for the price. It even got hit by a car once when I was biking downtown lol...slow hit but still it was under the car. Not even a scratch! I used it for commuting too during the week, with maxxis hookworm tires on it. That was a fun setup. I def. recommend the hardrock for the 500+ price range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I haven't seen Felt mentioned yet. I went with the Felt 9 Trail. Yes, it's the low end of the 29ers so apparently has crap for components, but just getting into biking I doubt I could have told the difference anyway. All the low end bikes have basically the same components. I bought it from a LBS. They gave me a bit of a discount (I asked) as well as threw in discount on any parts I buy in the next year, a free service, and free water bottle and holder. Why did I decide on the Felt? I liked the way it looked and once I got on it, I liked the way it felt (no pun intended). Also the frame is the same as the other aluminum frame 29ers in the lineup, so my assumption is that it's a good frame, just downgraded components. As I increase in skill and/or break components, I can buy better ones.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    I haven't seen Felt mentioned yet. I went with the Felt 9 Trail. Yes, it's the low end of the 29ers so apparently has crap for components, but just getting into biking I doubt I could have told the difference anyway. All the low end bikes have basically the same components. I bought it from a LBS. They gave me a bit of a discount (I asked) as well as threw in discount on any parts I buy in the next year, a free service, and free water bottle and holder. Why did I decide on the Felt? I liked the way it looked and once I got on it, I liked the way it felt (no pun intended). Also the frame is the same as the other aluminum frame 29ers in the lineup, so my assumption is that it's a good frame, just downgraded components. As I increase in skill and/or break components, I can buy better ones.
    The Felt 29ers are niice bikes, but isn't the cheapes model around $700? There are better picks for component per dollar, including the Diamondback Overdrive already mentioned, and yes Diamondback can be bought at both LBSs and sporting goods stores (Dicks, Sporting Authority). You will pay slightly more for the exact same bike if you buy from an LBS but you will get the arguably better assembly/service that comes with the deal.

Felt is also a VERY small "boutique" brand that doesn't have dealers on every block, hence you will not see them mentioned often.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Do ya'll think the 18" frame is gonna be too big for my 5'6" frame? Or, can I adapt easily???
    I think you will be ok. I'm 5'7.5" tall and rode a 19" Giant Hybrid for a while. It was a "tad" too big, but managable. Currently, I'm riding an 18" Trek and it fits really well...a much better fit than my 17" Bikes Direct Windsor in my opinion. So, even though the Windsor might have fit you a little better, I think you will be ok with the 18" Diamondback, although I will say that the Diamondback is probably a hair too big.

mtbr member
    Just try it if you dont like it put some 26 inch wheels on it and it will be ok

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think you will be ok. I'm 5'7.5" tall and rode a 19" Giant Hybrid for a while. It was a "tad" too big, but managable. Currently, I'm riding an 18" Trek and it fits really well...a much better fit than my 17" Bikes Direct Windsor in my opinion. So, even though the Windsor might have fit you a little better, I think you will be ok with the 18" Diamondback, although I will say that the Diamondback is probably a hair too big.
    Ok, you're 1.5" taller than he is and a 29er adds 1.5" to the standover over your 26er. So if your 18" 26er is a little big you think he's going to be good on an 18" framed 29er? Or a more direct comparison is me on the exact same bike. I am about 3" taller than he is and its very snug. I am not saying he can't ride it just fine, ETT is actually much more important than standover and I have no idea how our reach (torso length) compares.

I truly hope this bike works out for you firemark, I love my Overdrive and hope you will too. Just too bad the 16" frame isn't available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, you're 1.5" taller than he is and a 29er adds 1.5" to the standover over your 26er. So if your 18" 26er is a little big you think he's going to be good on an 18" framed 29er.
    He said a 19'' was a little big, not the 18''. Anyway who cares about standover hight? I can't remember when I've seen a MTB where that would be a real problem. Even my 5 ft 3'' wife has no probs standing over the frame of my bike, and I'm 6 ft 2''. She just can't reach the handlebars without chewing on the stem

To the OP; if it's too big, there's a lot you can achieve with a shorter stem or back-swept bar.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Henzel View Post
    He said a 19'' was a little big, not the 18''. Anyway who cares about standover hight? I can't remember when I've seen a MTB where that would be a real problem. Even my 5 ft 3'' wife has no probs standing over the frame of my bike, and I'm 6 ft 2''. She just can't reach the handlebars without chewing on the stem

To the OP; if it's too big, there's a lot you can achieve with a shorter stem or back-swept bar.
    Very cute how you take half my statement to make it look like I don't understand reach versus standover. Except the next sentence says exactly what you said. Gee, your so much smarter than me. Once again, the OP is buying the same bike I already ride, and he is 3" shorter than me. Wether or not standover is important the fact is 18" frame 29ers are going to be big for 5'6" people. And I don't know about everyone, but from time to time I do have to hop down off the seat quite hastily and I do find it nice to have a little standover clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyhow, Firemark I truly do hope I am wrong and this bike fits you perfectly. Other than a bit of whinyness over BDs customer service you seem like a great guy just trying to get into some family fun. I wish you and your family luck and great fun in your bicycle adventures.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very cute how you take half my statement to make it look like I don't understand reach versus standover. Except the next sentence says exactly what you said. Gee, your so much smarter than me. Once again, the OP is buying the same bike I already ride, and he is 3" shorter than me. Wether or not standover is important the fact is 18" frame 29ers are going to be big for 5'6" people. And I don't know about everyone, but from time to time I do have to hop down off the seat quite hastily and I do find it nice to have a little standover clearance.
    Keep your pants on, sunshine. I pointed out a mistake in your quote and stated that standover hight on a mtb is mostly a non-factor. If the rest of your missing sentence (oh evil me) pointed out that standover hight is a non-factor; well I didn't read it like that. But then; why would you bring it up at all?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ETT is actually much more important than standover and I have no idea how our reach (torso length) compares.
    So how exactly did you read this sentence?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Every other "help me pick a bike" thread, everybody emphasizes fit, fit, fit. But in this thread when I try to tell a guy the bike wont fit (and I ride the same bike so I am not just guessing) I get crucufied. Sheesh, tough crowd around here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So how exactly did you read this sentence?
    I'm not on the internet to pick a beef with you man. I read your post to mean: standover height is an important factor, but reach is more important. I disagree. Standover height, unless my nuts hit the top tube when I dismount, means squat to me. And reach, although very important, doesn't rely only on the frame but can be hugely affected by changing the stem and the bars.

To the OP; don't sweat it. I'm certain you will be able to get this bike set up in a way that feel pleasant. A 0 degree 6 inch stem with a flat bar adds miles to your cockpit compared to an ultra short stem with a riser bar with lots of backsweep. Somewhere in between you'll be able to find your sweet spot.

mtbr member
    26 inch wheels you got to do it it will get your stand over down you will thank me later!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Standover height, unless my nuts hit the top tube when I dismount, means squat to me
    See, you agree with me after all, the bike is too big for him.

I am 3" taller than him and when I dismount there is "friendly" contact between my nuts and the top tube. What do you think its gonna do to the OP?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Even my 5 ft 3'' wife has no probs standing over the frame of my bike, and I'm 6 ft 2''. She just can't reach the handlebars without chewing on the stem
    I find this claim very interesting, what kind of bike are you riding? I have NEVER seen a frame design that would allow standover room for someone 5'3" and also have a top tube long enough for someone 6'2". Must be some really expensive custom built frame!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    26 inch wheels you got to do it it will get your stand over down you will thank me later!!
    Better get a 140mm crankset to go with that setup

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I find this claim very interesting, what kind of bike are you riding? I have NEVER seen a frame design that would allow standover room for someone 5'3" and also have a top tube long enough for someone 6'2". Must be some really expensive custom built frame!
    You're still arguing? Sheesh.

I love my bike, but it is FAR from a really expensive custom job. It's a rigid Sunn Revolt from the mid-'90s. Google-image search for it if you're curious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Late last night, I got an email from the LBS owner. He told me that if I were to buy a Specialized Hardrock at $420, I would be fitted, and receive FREE lifetime brake and cable adjustments, and 10% of accessories at time of purchase.

It was pretty neat for him to take the time to email me, even off the clock.

I should have started here in the first place. Let this be a lesson for all beginners. Don't learn the hard way. Make a connection with your LBS, and don't fret so much like I have over components on your first bike.

Great customer service and service after the sale is more important than components for the beginner, IMHO.

Support your local bike shop.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Late last night, I got an email from the LBS owner. He told me that if I were to buy a Specialized Hardrock at $420, I would be fitted, and receive FREE lifetime brake and cable adjustments, and 10% of accessories at time of purchase.

I should have started here in the first place. Let this be a lesson for all beginners. Don't learn the hard way. Make a connection with your LBS, and don't fret so much like I have over components on your first bike.

Great customer service and service after the sale is more important than components for the beginner, IMHO.

While I love what Bikesdirect has to offer, and sites like Nashbar as well, I am increasingly coming to realize that for most true beginners your statements are right on the money!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You're still arguing? Sheesh.

I love my bike, but it is FAR from a really expensive custom job. It's a rigid Sunn Revolt from the mid-'90s. Google-image search for it if you're curious.
    No I am not arguing, and I guess I will have to google that cause I am curious.

Ok, did google it and it does indeed appear to be a VERY low standover frame, but not hardly representative of modern frame design.

mtbr member
    May 2011

So, have you cancelled the Diamondback yet? This time I wouldn't blame you if you did, sounds like you found an excellent LBS. Decided anything for the wife and daughter yet?

mtbr member
    Last edited by jpeters; 07-15-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: wrong thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow that was a lot you all should get BMC they just sent me a new frame look.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...02#post8241102
    Uhh, say what? What was a lot? And what is the relevance of your new frame to this thread?

Huckin' trails
    Uhh, say what? What was a lot? And what is the relevance of your new frame to this thread?
    Bragging on how he busted his new toy and got another one on a golden plate... Regular ****.

Sent from my iPhone while bikin'

mtbr member
    Sorry wrong thread

Fat-tired Roadie
    Just try it if you dont like it put some 26 inch wheels on it and it will be ok
    Seriously??

It'll screw up the bottom bracket clearance and the reach will still be too long.

OP - did you cancel the Diamondback and get the Hardrock? Or are you still on the fence?

While the spec on the Hardrock's not great, at least it doesn't have a freewheel, and the frame is pretty solid - if you don't get weight weenie about it, you can build on it all kinds of ways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Seriously??

It'll screw up the bottom bracket clearance and the reach will still be too long.

OP - did you cancel the Diamondback and get the Hardrock? Or are you still on the fence?

While the spec on the Hardrock's not great, at least it doesn't have a freewheel, and the frame is pretty solid - if you don't get weight weenie about it, you can build on it all kinds of ways.
    HA HA I made a joke sorry. I like the diamond back it just sucks its the wrong size but it could be ok if he got a shorter stem and moved the seat a tad forward. As long as your boys are not getting mashed you will be fine. My friend got a bike that the shop said was to big because it was on sale and he loves it. Sometimes you can get lucky with a bike and your size and your shape. I am really hoping it works out and good job getting off of the booz its a good hobby and try to do more research b4 you make decisions. I would do the same thing in my younger years I would make decisions then second guess my decisions then after it is all done and over with I realize I should have gone with my first decision. Its always good to take advice of others like it says in the big book we learn with the help of others through advice trial and error. If it was not for the guys on this forum and persistence and trial and error I would know nothing about mountain bikes. Now I know how to do everything on a bike from truing a wheel to rebuilding a fork or changing a flat or a headset. All of this stuff I learned here on mtbr with the help of others its the same as in the rooms you just got to listen to people when they tell you take friendly advice. And thanks to all of the guys who helped me learn how to work on my bike

mtbr member
    there are tons of brands, but most are made by giant.
    also all hard tail bikes from bike shops that are between $350-750 are basically the same.
    knowing that , it makes sense to stick to the bottom of that range.
    try get get 8 cogs in the rear.
    main thing though--CORRECTION, DO NOT BUY FROM DEPT STORE!!
    Last edited by darth biker; 07-15-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: CORRECTION, DO NOT BUY FROM DEPT STORE!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great first visit to the LBS! The family and myself made a stop today at a great LBS, owned by the guy who emailed me way past closing time earlier to help me out with my questions.

The salesman was great. We tried the 17" Hardrock, but too close for comfort. The 15.5" was the right fit. We looked at both the base Hardrock and the disc brake Hardrock. I did like the disc one better, and the price difference wasn't bad. I REALLY liked the fit of the Specialized bike.

The wife liked the Myka. It was very comfortable, and the girl liked the 24" Hotrock. I got a chance to see a 29er, too. No way could that fit my small frame! (I did cancel)

Of course, numbers were running in my head, so I had to ask for a deal on multiple buys ;-). We like the lifetime adjustment deal, and we like the shop.

All I have to do is make the call now. I'm glad I stopped in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome that you found a bike you like that fits - that is the most important part! One quick thought - before purchasing the new bikes, I would recommend contacting your credit/debit card company to make sure the refunds have processed. Otherwise, you might have less money there than you think, and that can lead to NSF or over the limit fees and such. I'm sure you are already aware of that, but just thought I'd throw that out there since you are waiting on two refunds, holding up almost $1000 in funds!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    firemark, glad you finally found your way. Are you going with a Specialized Hardrock Disc then? Just curious because I'm in a similar situation and AndrwSwitch's recommended Windsor Cliff 4900 looks pretty tempting. Itching to waste some money ($500 or there about) on a first bike but the local craigslist people dont seem to be going for my 1/2 MSRP offers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeKiYay View Post
    firemark, glad you finally found your way. Are you going with a Specialized Hardrock Disc then? Just curious because I'm in a similar situation and AndrwSwitch's recommended Windsor Cliff 4900 looks pretty tempting. Itching to waste some money ($500 or there about) on a first bike but the local craigslist people dont seem to be going for my 1/2 MSRP offers.
    Yep. I'm going with the disc, and may go with the disc sport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Like the Specialized Hardrock. Also like some of the Fujis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes, go disc.

mtbr member
    guys, be wary of disc brakes on bikes less than $700+/-.
    a good rim brake is better than a cheap disc brake.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    guys, be wary of disc brakes on bikes less than $700+/-.
    a good rim brake is better than a cheap disc brake.
    ^^^^^^= not a universal opinion

Not about to get into an argument on this, but some will agree that good v-brakes are better than cheap disc brakes. Others will say that even cheap discs blow away the best rim brakes, especially if you ever ride in mud. Same argument starts with mechanical versus hydraulic discs. Some say the cheapest hydros are better than the best mechs. Others say BB7s are better than all but the top of the line hydros.

Bottom line to me, try em out and if they feel good to you then they are fine, wether they are rim, mechanical or hydro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have first hand experience with Tektro Novela Disc brakes and they are horrible. My Avid Single Digit 7 V brakes work much better. I'm not sure how much better the Tektro IOs are, but I think it would be worth the extra $80 to upgrade to the hardrock Sport Disc because it comes with Avid BB5s and a better fork. I did notice that the Hardrock Disc Sport has lower rise handlebars and a 10 degree rise vs the 15 degree rise on the regular Hardrock Disc, so it is going to be more aggressive, which is great for the trails, but less comfortable on longer rides. Hands down, though, if you can afford the extra $80, I think you would be happier with the Disc Sport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The brake stuff was discussed at the LBS. According to him, the disc braked Hardrocks get better hubs, too, and, if the bike was ever for sale, the disc braked ones sell much easier. The hubs did look different.

Since I'm on a budget...Would the V-Brakes be ok since we like the frames? We could upgrade later?
    Last edited by firemark; 07-16-2011 at 08:53 AM.

mtbr member
    nope it will cost to much to upgrade later just get the disks now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I honestly think the V-Brake would be fine if you are on a budget. I once had a V-Brake inferiority complex, but after experiencing crappy disc brakes, I'm now using V-Brakes again, which work awesome. As stated above, though, you are going to pay a lot more to upgrade later. In addition to replacing the brakes you have to replace both wheels, so you are looking at a minimum of $200 to upgrade later. Test out all three Hardrocks, and I bet the one with V-Brakes works just as well or better than the disc brake ones.

mtbr member
    Which is better Hardrock Disc or Fuji Nevada 2.0?

Can I also throw in a Jamis X3 and a Raleigh Talus 5.0?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RabEd Ewok View Post
    Which is better Hardrock Disc or Fuji Nevada 2.0?

Can I also throw in a Jamis X3 and a Raleigh Talus 5.0?
    Just my 2 cents.

It's a matter of fit and where you buy. I like the Hardrock based on fit, feel, appearance, and, most importantly, the local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Glad I am not the only one having a hard time trying to figure this all out. Really like the Hardrock, but also like the Talus.

All I know is I definitely want Disc, no V Brake. Just so when I upgrade it will be a little more cost effective. At least that is what it seems like. The fork and shifters I can deal with, they don't seem that bad, and I can always upgrade later.

Found a stellar deal on a Rockhopper ($500), but it was gone before I got in touch with the LBS. Also found a good Rockhopper Comp for $580, that was gone too. then I found a Hardrock Disc for #380, gone! Hardrock Sport Disc had a great deal too, but was too big, still had it too.

Oh and all were LBS, learning that is very important.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeKiYay View Post
    I was not actually recommending the Windsor. I was being an ass.

IMHO, new riders almost always do better shopping locally. For stretching a buck, see if you have a shop carrying used bikes in your area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My brother just got a 2004 Klein Adept Pro full suspension with all XTR components for $550.00 on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try specialized hardrock disc. They are offering them for 470 for 2011 model here.

banned
    firemark, I wouldn't fret over it any more than you have. When the bike arrives, ride it. If it's too big, pick up a cheap setback seatpost and turn it around so you're more forward.

EDIT: Just noticed you were fitted at the LBS and decided to use them. Post up some photos and a ride report! Have fun!

banned
    I honestly think the V-Brake would be fine if you are on a budget. ... and I bet the one with V-Brakes works just as well or better than the disc brake ones.
    I don't ride in the rain or much mud. My v-brakes work great for my XC riding. I'm able to use one-finger braking and have very good control over my stopping. And, they're easy to maintain...

I'm not saying disc brakes are bad in any way. Just saying v-brakes still have their rightful place in the MTB world...

mtbr member
    This questions been asked I think 500 times already, you don't even have to search for it, just scroll down like two thread entires.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    craigslist seems to have alot too, or ebay but they always hit u with large shipping cost

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys I was in the same situation. Did a lot of research, visit a couple of stores, tried a couple of bikes and finnally bought me my first bike. I got an awesome deal on a Fuji Nevada 3.0 for $330 plus tax. Really exicited and will be going to get it dirty

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    how about a Cannondale trail 6? I like the new green color. I got an F5 myself from a couple years ago. I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Good advise...except when the kid at the LBS knows less than me...and I know nothing...and the mechanic in the back has no interest in helping me out...

mtbr member
    cant rememer if ive posted this before or not--if i did sorry.
    if you're looking for a bike under say 700, peformancebike is really hard to beat for prices. also keep in mind that most of these frames are made by giant, they just look different. my advise, pick the closest one you can to 300$. w/ 24sp and ur good. bikes in the 300-700 are actually very similar even if they don't appear to be. for higher end bikes i would not recomment peformance bike.
    just my thoughts. have fun on the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought this combo for $500 today but the rest is not cheap

like $150 for these... slightly used but $150 and its not even a "rolling chasis" yet!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid_Addicted View Post
    I bought this combo for $500 today but the rest is not cheap

like $150 for these... slightly used but $150 and its not even a "rolling chasis" yet!
    Did that remote came in that bid too ?

mtbr member
    The Trek 4300 costs about $550 with factory components. These are considered low- to mid-range bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what size bike should I look for i am 6'2"
    looking to get my first mountain bike

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This my be a dumb question but does is Nashbar just a de-branded bike?

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Nashbar catalog has been around for a long time.

Most Nashbar-branded bikes are probably just catalog bikes from Asian factories, made in between orders for bigger companies. I'd say you pay for about half the technology and none of the marketing or Bold New Graphics, in comparison to a frame from a bigger company. I wouldn't consider them debranded - I'd say they were never branded in the first place.

Now and then, Nashbar sells a nice-looking Reynolds 831 frame. Doesn't look like they've got it right now.