1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

$1K first MTB- overkill?

I'm not so sure now if its the brightest idea for me or not to spend the money on a brand new Trek Cobia tomorrow. I love the way the bike looks and rides, like the components on it as well- the whole package is great.

My plan with the bike is rather simple- me and a few buddies are gonna get together a couple-several times per week and ride the local trails and have some fun. I don't wanna overkill it, and at the same time, I don't want a boat anchor of a bike for a few hundred bucks.

What's everyone's thoughts- am I wasting my money and being stupid?

mtbr member
    No way. Good choice. Stick with it and you'll squeeze every penny out of that bike.

mtbr member
    Can you afford it?...that is the question. Because I think everyone will agree, you should buy as much bike as you can afford...within reason. No need for a beginner to have a $5k bike; but if you already know you enjoy this sport, you will find more enjoyment with a fine machine under you than a heavier, clunkier bike.

I raced BMX as a kid and always had a quality bike; but when I went to college and bought my first mtn bike, I unwisely bought a department store bike...that lasted all of two weeks before I traded it in plus cash for a GIANT entry level mtn bike around $300 level...but even as drastically improved as that was over the dpt store bike, I quickly outgrew it and the next summer traded it in plus more cash for something in the $500 range...and on and on to where I now own some decent steeds in the same class roughly as the Cobia you are looking at. So if you can afford to get that bike now, you'll be money ahead rather than the slow process of continual upgrades many of us had to take...and you'll be riding smoother, faster and more efficiently with more fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Make sure to come back and post some shots of it before you start beating on it

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    the only one that can answer that is you, if you ride it then its an investment. if you dont its a waste of money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    All valid points. My buddies think I'm crazy as 90% of them ride department store bikes. Yeah, I'll post pics of it for sure. I just wish it didn't come in that red- seems like the scratches are less visible on the dark/black bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was in the same boat as you. After spending hours here on the forums and talking to some buddies I ended up with a Cobia. I originally wanted a Mamba based on the suspension and components vs the Marlin. They didn't have any Mamba's assembled at my LBS so I ended up with the Cobia and I Love it. No Regrets whatsoever.

MTB B'dos
    Once you have the $$ and it's not something you'd have to go into debt/credit card for, then for sure do it - The difference between a low end bike like what your buddies ride and the Cobia is night and day, honestly.

My first bike was a Diamonback CoilEX, think it cost about $350-400 back then and I rode the snot out of it (1800 miles) for 10 months and in that time I basically toasted all the components, but beside that I banged my knee and ate it so many time because of the shitty, cheap fork that was on it.
    Then I went all out and got a Giant Trance3 for $1500 and it was, as said night and day, like getting out of an old Gremilin and into a nice Jeep Grand Cherokee or such - truly unbelievable.

Want to have some fun, once you get the bike and have ridden it for a bit and put then first ascratch on it (yes, you will get it scratched riding trails), then let your buddies give it a go and see if they still think you were crazy spending the extra cash for a much better bike
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Picture Unrelated
    If you can afford it then the only crazy ones are your friends riding dept. store bikes. In the end, they'll probably have to spend a pile of money keeping their bikes running and end up buying nicer bikes once they check yours out. You're cutting to the chase so to speak.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I rode my wal-mart special Mongoose XR-75 about 15 times between the months of September to June on the trails by my house and convinced myself that it was time to step up as it was something important to me. I was looking at bikesdirect motobecane models ranging from $600 to $1000 and thought that $1K was a rediculous amount of money to spend (as well as my friends and family), but I knew I wanted to do it right and had the money. It turns out that I have really got into mountain bikes and racing the last couple years since and that extra $400 has probably saved me over $1000 dollars in upgrades. The $1k model came with a Reba fork, XTR rear derailer, XT shifters and saddle (WTB rocket)/stem/bars (Ritchey) of decent quality and WTB Laserdisc rims. The rear hub is crap, but for $1000 you can't expect everything to be nice. The things that I am still running stock on that bike are frame, reba fork, derailers, cranks, and shifters.

So spending more money up front is usually cheaper than going cheap and wanting to upgrade everything. If you are serious about it and have the money then I would say $1k is the perfect place to look. It was a good move for me.

I am now looking at $3k to $5k bikes for my next bike and in hindsight it seems that $1k wasn't really all that much for what I got and the use/enjoyment I have got out of the bike.

mtbr member
    It is your money do with it, as you please.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Recoup that money by commuting on the bike instead of driving better for the environment, your health, and your pocket win win investment.

mtbr member
    If you can afford it I would do it. Most of the guys I ride with get the cheapest specialized or treks they can. Sure they work...for awhile. Then they are asking me what they should upgrade.

I'd go ahead and get a decent bike and ride the guts out of it. They will all envy you in short order.

My first bike was a $400 ironhorse i got from *****. I loved it, but I knew it was lacking from the get go. Now I ride a $2000 bike and I love it. Night and day difference.

mtbr member
    $1000 is a piece of coin, yes, but is +/- the entry point for solid quality if you plan to ride regularly and will develop a few personal preferences along the way (i.e. want to tweak it here and there).

In the big picture, you want
    - a good quality frame that fits you and type of riding (because are stuck with it)
    - a competent wheelset. Not the lightest or coolest, but strong and industry standard stuff.
    - and competent components. Again not the lightest or coolest, but reliable stuff. You'll replace stuff in time anyway if wear it out, at your later budgetary convenience, plus you'll learn where to put money and where to not bother. All part of the fun down the road.
    Gunnar Rockhound - Hardtails in Reynolds 853 and True Temper OX Platinum are still a great idea.

undercover brother
    You will be much happier in the long run if you are even mildly serious about the sport. Buying a cheaper bike will only cost you more in the long run, as you'll be wanting upgrades after the first week. If you can afford it, will get your money's worth out of it, and take care of it, then get it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Totally worth it if you can afford it and you keep riding it. The components are good enough that you won't feel obligated to upgrade right away. The color will probably grow on you after a while. I have a red 2008 GF Marlin, and the scratches on it aren't very noticeable at all.

mtbr member
    $1000 in my opinion is a perfect staring point. You really don't have to worry about much. Just hop on and ride. Plus if you don't take to the sport you don't loose too much money if you decide to sell it.

Keep in mind that $1000 is just for the bike. If you are new to the sport you will accessories.

-Helmet 50-150$
    -Water bottle or hydoPak 15-200$
    -extra tubes 20$
    -MultiTool 10-30$
    -Levers 5-10$
    -etc
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSZ View Post
    $1000 in my opinion is a perfect staring point. You really don't have to worry about much. Just hop on and ride. Plus if you don't take to the sport you don't loose too much money if you decide to sell it.

Keep in mind that $1000 is just for the bike. If you are new to the sport you will accessories.

-Helmet 50-150$
    -Water bottle or hydoPak 15-200$
    -extra tubes 20$
    -MultiTool 10-30$
    -Levers 5-10$
    -etc
    I agree with this guy. If you are going to ride and use it then I think 1k is a good starting point but don't forget about the accessories. Also ad in shoes and pedals if you ever plan to ride climpless which is an additional cost. You will also want some sort of tire pump if you don't have one.

Also a good tip for beginners is buy the cheapest helmet that fits good. After one good crash on the helmet you have to buy another one. They are made of foam and all pass the same safety standards and are designed to be replaced after one crash. So no need to spend $150 on your first helmet to be replaced after your first crash. Makes crashing very expensive, haha. I usually find a Giro on sale for around $30 and they seem to fit my head the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I bought a $155 walmart bike and rode it for about 2 months. In that time I progressed to the point where I didn't feel safe doing the technical trails I was doing.

I bought the Trek Fuel Ex 9 which is a $4,000 bike, but it was a demo model with superficial scratches so I got it for $2,000.

They financed it 12 months 0% interest. I was planning on saving $1,000 a month and going in $3,000 on a bike anyways over 3 months, so I was pretty much sold.

Biking is something that clicked with me. I knew I loved it, and it was going to be a part of my lifestyle for the rest of my life. I bought a bike that I'm going to be happy with for the next 5-10 years.

No regrets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    the only one that can answer that is you, if you ride it then its an investment. if you dont its a waste of money.

For quality of experience, worth of your person, I don't think money can be better spent.

Have no doubt. Per what you are enthused about and that which brings you bliss, the amount will never be too much.

mtbr member
    I would buy the best bike you can pay cash for. I would never finance anything except for a house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ahh, forget houses. Money sinks =p

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i had the same question. Have 3 friends that are into biking. I am starting up. Looking for my first bike. They want me to buy a Trek Mamba as my first bike, 1k. I was hoping of only spending like $600 on my first bike :/ They say its cheaper to get the mamba first in the long run.

mtbr member
    I picked up my first bike a few months ago, it is a $1,000.00 Specialized Rockhopper 29. I don't regret it a bit, and it is definitely not overkill.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

MTB B'dos
    Well, sad to have to inform you, but if riding is seriously a big part of your life I'm afraid that statement will not hold true, I can pretty much guarantee that I started out thinking similar when I got my Giant Trance3, seven years ago, but now on bike numero 4 since then - still own the Trance and 3 of the others as well, all 29ers, the only bike I've ever sold was my 1st 29er (flexy POS) - talking MTBs only, not other bikes I've also owned since then

Quote Originally Posted by sujianhua View Post
    I bought a $155 walmart bike and rode it for about 2 months. In that time I progressed to the point where I didn't feel safe doing the technical trails I was doing................................

Biking is something that clicked with me. I knew I loved it, and it was going to be a part of my lifestyle for the rest of my life. I bought a bike that I'm going to be happy with for the next 5-10 years.

No regrets.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast