Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

$1000 budget for bike

4K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  Eckstream1 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first real mountain bike. I will be riding mostly single track so nothing to extreme. My budget is $1000. I do not plan on entering any races or anything. My main goal is to get out and ride with friends and also bike for the workout. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
Same budget myself...

I had the same budget and this last week & just scored an 04 Specialized Epic Comp for $900 on Craigslist. Granted I had lots of advice from friends that are avid mountain bikers and I'm a decent negotiator. The bike was advertised for $1100 and I was able to ride it to try out and agree with the seller on a good price. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal but I really like this bike and an XC bike was really what I was after to get in to this. Good luck!

#25 ·
I had the same budget and this last week & just scored an 04 Specialized Epic Comp for $900 on Craigslist. Granted I had lots of advice from friends that are avid mountain bikers and I'm a decent negotiator. The bike was advertised for $1100 and I was able to ride it to try out and agree with the seller on a good price. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal but I really like this bike and an XC bike was really what I was after to get in to this. Good luck!
Good deal, now go ride it and don't use it as a coat-hanger. :thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
The answer really depends if you are a component junky or if you want to support your LBS. I recommend you go to all of the local bike shops and ride everything in your price range and above it. If you feel like the bikes above your limit are worth it then you should look online. Bikes Direct has bikes that will get you considerably more bang for the buck.

Sub 1k seems to get you Deore rear derailers, Alivio Front, and a Dart 3 fork at most LBS shops.

1k Online can get you a bike like this. Which will decimate all of your bike shop components in that price range. If you do go the online route make sure you carefully calculate your bike size.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_elite09.htm
^^^^^
If not working http://www.bikesdirect.com/products /motobecane/fantom_elite09.htm

#7 ·
The answer really depends if you are a component junky or if you want to support your LBS. I recommend you go to all of the local bike shops and ride everything in your price range and above it. If you feel like the bikes above your limit are worth it then you should look online. Bikes Direct has bikes that will get you considerably more bang for the buck.

Sub 1k seems to get you Deore rear derailers, Alivio Front, and a Dart 3 fork at most LBS shops.

1k Online can get you a bike like this. Which will decimate all of your bike shop components in that price range. If you do go the online route make sure you carefully calculate your bike size.
BAD URL
Your link isn't working...

#8 ·
IT is really up to you. If the bike feels great you should do it. That being said I am a component junky and buy online because of the huge gap between components. You will pay a premium for "SPECIALIZED" on the side of your bike. That being said if you need to resale it Specialized on the side of your bike brings in a significant amount of extra money on Craigslist.

This forum has 2 types of people.

Component Junkies that will refer you to Bikesdirect.com
and the
LBS fan boys that refuse to admit that 500 dollars online will buy you a significantly better bike then 500 at an LBS shop. That being said the LBS people have valid points about sizing and building a relationship with your bike shop.

Decide what is important to you and make the choice accordingly. I bought a Forge Sawbackk 5xx for 450. To purchase the same bike at a bike shop would run you about 800-1000 depending on the brand. That being said you have to take into account what a years worth of service is for you.

#9 ·
Do you know much about the single track you will be riding?

When you say nothing too extreme, is it rocky? Logs? Lots of roots? Or is it smooth level singletrack?

I have a HT and a FS. I love them both and have loads of fun on both. I love climbing as much a decending, and for that reason I favor my hardtail.

I'm a fan of beginners starting on hard tails.. they require you to develop more skills early on which benefited me greatly.

I am a beginner on a Jamis Durango 3 and I couldn't be happier. I actually got it off of ebay,.. which shouldnt be overlooked in my opinion.

That being said, if you're interested in bumpier rides, $1,000 can get you a nice used FS.. or even an entry level new FS. They will however make distance and climbing a bit more challenging.

#11 ·
My suggestion is try out a few different bikes.. see how you like it.

My mistake was I tried a FS first,.. then went to hard tail.

Big mistake.. I thought I was a good rider,.. but the FS was just eating up all my mistakes. I went to hardtail and the trail bounced by ass right off the bike.

#13 ·
I'm all for a hardtail 29er, my only question is will the wheels hold up. I'm 6'2" 215 lbs....how much abuse can the wheels take. I don't plan on doing many drops, but there are some small jumps on the trails I ride. Maybe 1.5' of air...

#17 ·
I was set on buying a trek mamba. Then I saw the Trek cobia right next to it and for a couple hundred bucks more you get a lot more bang for your buck. An air fork, hydro brakes, and 3x10 speed. The new 12 mamba gets hydro brakes though but still get the spring fork and 9 speed. I had ridden all the other similarly priced bikes at the local shops and stuck with the trek. I don't know anything about used bikes as I am just starting to get into real mountain biking.

#18 ·
I was looking for a hardtail 29er under $1000 for my first mtb. I rode these bikes at local bike stores:
Trek Marlin 29er
Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
Specialized Rockhopper comp 29er
I ended up liking the feel of the Rockhopper the most. It was the most expensive out of the group but I decided the better components would be worth it. Now I wish I would have also looked at the Trek Mamba and Cobia but I'm not regretting the purchase. Go ride some bikes at a local shop and get a feel for what you like. If they'll fit you for free, have them do it. That way you can get measurements in case you want to buy online. If you can stretch the budget a little, it's cheaper to get the upgrades on a better bike up front instead of upgrading individual parts later.
Good luck on your bike search!

#24 ·
Where can I get the best deal on a wheelset? tried getting the Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset W/Sun Rhyno Lite Rims from Blue Sky Cycling but after ordering online and 2 weeks of BS from them as to why they never got sent I am looking elsewhere!

Don't EVER order any bike parts from a company called Blue Sky Cycling!!! supposedly in California but who knows where it is, the website looks nice but NO inventory, they take your money and hope you don't call back asking where your parts are and if you do call,they just give you one excuse after the other. and if anyone knows who I can report them too please let me know!!

#30 ·
I've ordered driveline parts from Bluse Sky more than once and got good service.
From So Cal to Las Vegas NV was one working day.
Now Cambria I've had problems with. Ordering tires that weren't in stock like they said.

Jenson and Pricepoint usually have the best online wheel deals.

#26 ·
I highly recommend Performance Bike's house-brand Access 29er. As an entry-level 29er hardtail, it's worth much more than its asking price -- especially if you manage to find an older 2010 still in stock. IMO, the bang-for-your-buck on the 9.7 or 9.9 models is unbeatable...

#33 ·
Good price.

IMO, changing out the seat post is a silly upgrade. But, whatever - it doesn't sound like they're making you pay more over it.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a singlespeed to most people as a first mountain bike. You're going to have a harder time than your friends on climbs, both keeping up and even riding the climbs, and you may not be able to go fast enough on the flats, especially access roads and whatnot, to keep up.

There are some singlespeed riders who routinely kick my ass. Certainly the bikes are as slow or as fast as the rider makes them. But most of us are happier to have a little more mechanical assistance.

#34 ·
I'm not too worried about being able to keep up with my friends. None of them have been riding very long at all. My main reason for getting a bike is for the conditioning. I like the simplicity of the SS and I always have the option to go 1x9.

#36 ·
BIKE #1 PURCHASE
I am an ex-motocross racer and serious mountain biker from the 80s, but I got side-tracked with raising a family and did the career thing.

I am now 47, 6'3" 225 pounds and slightly out of shape, but can ride strong on rolling trails, but I want to get back into riding up hill and going downhill fast here in Marin County.

I want a XC bike, right? I like light weight bikes with smooth shifting. I am a component junky and looked at BD, but not sure which to buy under $1,000.

With my ability level, what are the trade-offs between hard-tail and full-suspension? I don't see myself leaping off anything greater than 3" drop-offs.

What should I consider on BD for under $1,000? Craigslist didn't have anything for me right now.

BIKE #2 PURCHASE
My girlfriend is not athletic, not strong, has a thin build of 5'11" but is tough and very determined to master mountain biking.

I believe in purchasing once, but I don't want to buy her too much of a bike or spend more than she needs. I am hoping to find her a bike that will be efficient performer on trail and hill to keep up with me. She liked the fit of the Specialized Stumpjumper and Cannondale Trail since she didn't have to reach for the bars like other men's bikes. What should she consider on BD? Craigslist didn't have anything for her right now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

#38 ·
At your height you should look at this one on BD. Great price for good components.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp_xi.htm

Full Suspension isn't worth buying under 1000. Additionally you actually wanting to go up hills points right at a HT.

As for bike 2 I am in the same exact situation right now. My advice is buy her a Trek 820 or a Trek SKye. Srs.

A few key words point to this choice GIRL FRIEND. IF you break up you will want to be able to sell it again for a better price. A few year old trek bike will easily go for 200 on Craigslist when a bikesdirect bike will only be able to get a hundred.

It is true most of the components on the 820 and the SKYE are crap, but if that derailleur breaks a new Alivio is 30 on amazon and a Deore is 40.

Of course that is if she wants a girls bike.

#37 ·
I just got a 2001 GT Zaskar LE with Shimano XTR brakes and derailleurs, Spinergy Spox rims and hubs, and Rock Shox SID fork all for $500 on Craigslist. The owner was a bike nut so he took really good care of it and it was his wife's who didn't ride a whole lot.

Just keep your eye out on craigslist. And keep in mind the part that really counts is the frame because you can always upgrade the parts.

#43 ·
duffin - IMO, first bikes are better bought in person. I don't know Marin County as well as I could, but there are some used shops on Stanyan Street in SF - great for stretching a buck. Or buy something new, locally. Phone around and see if you can find a closeout or something - you're tall enough that bikes your size sometimes sit on shop floors for more seasons than the owners really want them there. Your girlfriend will be a little more difficult to shop for. Depending on her build, she could be on a men's medium through to a men's XL. Leggy women often need to size down and then jack up the handlebars, but it turns out that the stereotype of women having longer legs relative their torsos is wrong. So, I dunno. :p In any case, fit is important and it's hard to evaluate unless you can actually ride some bikes. (REI and Performance Bike can be good for deals too. But, phone around - give your local shops a chance to compete with the 'net, and bear in mind that you have to do a little assembly and all the tuning for bikes bought online, or pay most of your savings to a bike shop to do it for you.)

I think a single ring setup would be really stupid in Marin. Mt. Tam is over 2500' tall, and I think you can start riding fire roads down at sea level. Granted, it doesn't have legal singletrack, but it's worth doing from time to time anyway. I think most riders would really miss their granny rings on the way up, and could actually use their big rings on the way back down. You're also in easy striking distance from the Santa Cruz mountains, where I learned to ride MTBs. IMHO, single-ring setups are better left to people who don't live in coastal mountain ranges. I don't know if I've ever seen one outside a skills park where I live now - people either have at least two chainrings, or they're fully committed to being badass, and ride a singlespeed.

#45 ·
"Rings" = chainrings = the three sprockets (gears) located on the cranks.

In a 3by10 setup (30 speed), there are three chainrings on the crank.

Single Speed (SS) riders, and those who convert to 1by9 or 1by10 setups (etc), reduce it to only one chainring.

As Andrw pointed out, it probably isn't a good idea for new riders on mountainous terrain to use a single chainring, so you shouldn't even worry about it. (I didnt realize the conditions where you live when I first suggested it).

The stock 3-chainring setup on the 29er I linked to will do the job nicely where you live. You'll have a full 30-speed setup to work with -- one with a lot of granny gears to handle those tough climbs out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.