Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Beer Please! SuperModerator

Why San Diego is a better Beer City than Ashville, NC

Had some friends down for the weekend I have not seen in years and find out they are just as into Craft beer as we are, so we spent the day visiting a few of the Breweries in San Diego:

Tastings at the following:
    Alesmith
    Hess
    Rough Draft
    Societe
    Ballast Point
    Mission
    Dinner at Stone.

Some pics from the day:

It was a good Saturday!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Clearly a better beer city than Ashville ever could be. Thanks for setting us straight!

/thread

(oh, also /sarcasm)
    Last edited by RichardinLA; 10-29-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardinLA View Post
    Clearly a better beer city than Ashville ever could be. Thanks for setting us straight!

/thread

(oh, also /sarcasm)
    San Diego Beer > Asheville Beer.

mtbr member
    There is no denying that San Diego is pretty much the capital of craft beer.

My only problem with it as a beer city is that it's not really a "city". Stone is 34 miles from downtown for god's sake.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    There is no denying that San Diego is pretty much the capital of craft beer.

My only problem with it as a beer city is that it's not really a "city". Stone is 34 miles from downtown for god's sake.
    Beer County USA?

Bend Beer > Asheville Beer.

That a better comparison?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Beer County USA?

Bend Beer > Asheville Beer.

That a better comparison?
    "Beer County USA" is absolutely the case.

And yes, while I haven't been to either I would have to say Bend>Asheville just in terms of beer.

Beer Me!
    Whoa Whoa Whoa there fellas.

Fort Collins > asheville/san diago/Bend etc...

I think we all have a little different preference on this matter. I will not even attempt to deny the fact that San Diago (aka whales vajaja...Anchorman 'a whales vagina' - YouTube) is a solid beer town, but does not mean I would want to live there. Give me Mountains, ability to drive to Solitude, and brewery density per square mile, and I would take Fort Collins, Bend, Portland over San Diago any day for where I want to live. Take all of this with a big grain of salt as I am not a fan of SoCal.

Ashville is also small at the moment, 5 years from now is when it may be a contender after NB, SN and Oscar Blues move in.

P.S. Cool pics btw, moar please
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, we do have some epic beer around here. Thank God, because the trails are getting bulldozed. The riding in Asheville has SD beat and with the housing market in a slump you can get yourself a nice house for like $16 bucks. I just closed a deal on a cozy little french cheateau style home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why San Diego is a better Beer City than Ashville, NC-rease-biltmore-estate.jpg  

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post

I think we all have a little different preference on this matter. I will not even attempt to deny the fact that San Diago (aka whales vajaja...Anchorman 'a whales vagina' - YouTube) is a solid beer town, but does not mean I would want to live there. Give me Mountains, ability to drive to Solitude, and brewery density per square mile, and I would take Fort Collins, Bend, Portland over San Diago any day for where I want to live. Take all of this with a big grain of salt as I am not a fan of SoCal.

Ashville is also small at the moment, 5 years from now is when it may be a contender after NB, SN and Oscar Blues move in.

San Diego Beer > Fort Collins Beer.

Oh, and good luck getting your surf on in any over the other spots!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I just closed a deal on a cozy little french cheateau style home.
    Nice! Gotta change that winery over to a brewery ASAP.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    I am very pleased to learn about the superiority of San Diego as a beer city over the extremely pathetic and anemic Asheville, NC area. I have heard that because of the extreme Western nature of the city/county of San Diego that drinking the beer there makes one walk like a very manly cowboy man. Can you confirm this?

mtbr member

Ultimate Beer City...

Beer, beaches, girls and possibly weather (a little too dry for my tastes) of San Diego. Subtract the traffic, sprawl, strip malls and general dbaginess of So Cal. Then add the mountains and trails of Bend, Asheville and Ft. Collins. Add the food of a San Francisco or Portland. Subtract the pretentiousness of those places. Add lots of jobs and cheap real estate. I'm there.

Hi.
    Ultimate Beer City...

Beer, beaches, girls and possibly weather (a little too dry for my tastes) of San Diego. Subtract the traffic, sprawl, strip malls and general dbaginess of So Cal. Then add the mountains and trails of Bend, Asheville and Ft. Collins. Add the food of a San Francisco or Portland. Subtract the pretentiousness of those places. Add lots of jobs and cheap real estate. I'm there.
    Where is this utopia of which you speak?

tl1
    Bicyclist

What? Surfing is huge on Michigan's West Coast where Bell's, Founders and New Holland are. They even do it in Indiana.

Beer Me!
    Ultimate Beer City...

Im packin my bags, tell me where this is

Beer Me!

Not a surfer, but i can hit trails riding from my doorstep

Do a google image search of Fort Collins = mountains, solitude, epic
    Same search of San Diego = City, beach, city, city, city

I guess I just don't like people as much as you do.

Afric Pepperbird
    It's about time those asshats who proclaim Asheville a better beer city than San Diego; anywhere in Oregon; etc., are put in their place!!

Lovely city, to be sure. But let's not get pear-shaped delusional!

(No asshats were harmed in the typing of this response. We're all beer lovers, after all!)

Hi.
    I guess I just don't like people as much as you do.
    No way man, I know all about FC. Never been there, but it looks wonderful. Especially from what I've seen that you share

And no, I don't like people very much. At least a ton of people. SD is pretty spread out, MUCH better than the Bay Area in terms of population density.

Long term goals include owning a home in both SD and Bend. And visiting FC of course. Possibly even living in one of those other areas.

And you'd dig SD - solid mountain biking, bouldering, and beaches. And you can ride year-round without snow.

And seriously - the beer is awesome.

Beer Me!
    No way man, I know all about FC. Never been there, but it looks wonderful. Especially from what I've seen that you share

And no, I don't like people very much. At least a ton of people. SD is pretty spread out, MUCH better than the Bay Area in terms of population density.

Long term goals include owning a home in both SD and Bend. And visiting FC of course. Possibly even living in one of those other areas.

And you'd dig SD - solid mountain biking, bouldering, and beaches. And you can ride year-round without snow.

And seriously - the beer is awesome.

Well maybe its ok then, just very very low on my places to visit. In fact I plan on going to Ashville in the next couple years, as well as Charlette (some amazing history out there) and hit up the Pisgah for riding. No plans for SD, though I will never dispute that good beer is produced there.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    What? Surfing is huge on Michigan's West Coast where Bell's, Founders and New Holland are. They even do it in Indiana.
    Unsalted. I still need to watch this doc.

Brewery Vivant at the beach...nothing better.

Grand Rapids IS Beer City!
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Seattle is terrible. Lousy beer and no decent riding. Move to Ashville or Grand Rapids instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Seattle is terrible. Lousy beer and no decent riding. Move to Ashville or Grand Rapids instead.
    Seattle is an awesome city. One of my favorites really. Its proximity to the Olympic Peninsula/San Juan Islands/Cascades make it an amazing destination for outdoor enthusiasts.

However, the quality of the beer/breweries should be better than they are frankly. Seattle was such a huge part of the initial microbrewery movement in the 80's and 90's I'm not sure why it has fallen behind over the last ten years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    It's about time those asshats who proclaim Asheville a better beer city than San Diego; anywhere in Oregon; etc., are put in their place!!

Lovely city, to be sure. But let's not get pear-shaped delusional!

(No asshats were harmed in the typing of this response. We're all beer lovers, after all!)
    This is what I was going for. I only gave this thread that title because I don't think Ashville deserves to be on the Radar for the best beer city, that whole vote thing that happens every year is obviously broken. Of course any vote that takes place online is going be skewed.

I just had a wonderful day of beer tasting, probably the most I have been able to do since my stay in the Hospital this past summer, and I wanted to share.

To the person who mentioned that Stone is 34 miles north of SD, yes that is true, Stone is technically in the City of Escondido. In fact a number of Breweries are located in North San Diego County. Just like many people refer to parts of LA that are actually other incorporated Cities, most people refer to all of San Diego county as being "San Diego".

Hi.
    Seattle is an awesome city. One of my favorites really. Its proximity to the Olympic Peninsula/San Juan Islands/Cascades make it an amazing destination for outdoor enthusiasts.

However, the quality of the beer/breweries should be better than they are frankly. Seattle was such a huge part of the initial microbrewery movement in the 80's and 90's I'm not sure why it has fallen behind over the last ten years or so.
    It's coming back...just under the radar a bit. While there are a few production breweries up there, most of the breweries aren't big enough to sustain distribution outside of the state. But beers like Wisdom Seeker from Black Raven show that they can definitely make some world-class beers.

Seattle's a great place with awesome food and one of the best vibes of any major city in the US, but I can't take rain 40% of the year.

mtbr member
    It's coming back...just under the radar a bit. While there are a few production breweries up there, most of the breweries aren't big enough to sustain distribution outside of the state. But beers like Wisdom Seeker from Black Raven show that they can definitely make some world-class beers.

Seattle's a great place with awesome food and one of the best vibes of any major city in the US, but I can't take rain 40% of the year.
    You're a fountain of knowledge jtmartino. I've heard of Black Raven (seen their ads in BA mag and other places) but have not tried any of their beers. Will try to so so next time we are up there. In terms of breweries, we usually go to Elysian when we are in Seattle, which I have enjoyed.

My dream living scenario would be spending half the year in Santa Cruz and half the year in the San Juans but then again I am a super white boy who doesn't tan and doesn't mind the rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

To the person who mentioned that Stone is 34 miles north of SD, yes that is true, Stone is technically in the City of Escondido. In fact a number of Breweries are located in North San Diego County. Just like many people refer to parts of LA that are actually other incorporated Cities, most people refer to all of San Diego county as being "San Diego".
    Yes, it's not San Diego's fault it's a massive sprawling amoeba. I just don't think it can be compared to places like Portland when talking about beer "cities".

In regards to L.A. and SoCal in general...I worked with this girl years ago and I asked her where she was from...

Her-"L.A."
    Me-"Oh. Cool. Where abouts?"
    Her-"Ojai"

Yes, it's not San Diego's fault it's a massive sprawling amoeba. I just don't think it can be compared to places like Portland when talking about beer "cities".

In regards to L.A. and SoCal in general...I worked with this girl years ago and I asked her where she was from...

Her-"L.A."
    Me-"Oh. Cool. Where abouts?"
    Her-"Ojai"
    Exactly, There is no true break between San Diego City Limits and my House in Oceanside, however the City of Carlsbad and Encinitas are both incorporated and they are in-between, however the general feel is that even where I live is considered "San Diego".

Still, 6 of the seven Breweries I visited are within San Diego City Limits.

Ojai is in Ventura County, about an hour drive just to get to LA County.... lol.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    You're a fountain of knowledge jtmartino. I've heard of Black Raven (seen their ads in BA mag and other places) but have not tried any of their beers. Will try to so so next time we are up there. In terms of breweries, we usually go to Elysian when we are in Seattle, which I have enjoyed.
    We kind of like being under the radar up here after almost two decades of a grunge/hipster chic rep (see Hype for more info...).

You could probably call Black Raven part of the third-wave movement here over the last couple of years -- an explosion of new breweries and, recently, distilleries. And one reason why you might not see distro outside of WA is that we drink most of it here!

My dream living scenario would be spending half the year in Santa Cruz and half the year in the San Juans but then again I am a super white boy who doesn't tan and doesn't mind the rain.
    Rain's good for the trail -- our soils drain well and we've got lots of vert. Come on up any time -- that goes for you too jmartino. We'll drink some beers and shred some gnar.

mtbr member
    Rain's good for the trail -- our soils drain well and we've got lots of vert. Come on up any time -- that goes for you too jmartino. We'll drink some beers and shred some gnar.
    I seriously love it up there. Find my wife and I a job in Anacortes and I'll start packing.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I'm heading down to San Diego this friday to spend the weekend with my son. I sampled Port Brewing's High Tide the other day, I want more!! Really good. Hopefully I can make the rounds to sample the local brews.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I'm heading down to San Diego this friday to spend the weekend with my son. I sampled Port Brewing's High Tide the other day, I want more!! Really good. Hopefully I can make the rounds to sample the local brews.
    Where does he live? Flying or driving?

The thing about San Diego is that no matter where you are there is amazing beer within a 5 mile radius.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Where does he live? Flying or driving?

The thing about San Diego is that no matter where you are there is amazing beer within a 5 mile radius.
    He lives close to the Padres stadium. Santa Rosa has direct flights which makes it so much easier for us coastal folks to travel.

He lives close to the Padres stadium. Santa Rosa has direct flights which makes it so much easier for us coastal folks to travel.
    Mission Brewery is only 2 blocks from Petco Park downtown. There is also a Rock Bottom Brewery in the Gas Lamp District downtown which has won some awards. Those are both walking distance.

The next closest would be Ballast Point tasting room at the Home Brew Mark in Linda Vista, Pizza Port in Ocean Beach which are both just a 10 min drive from Downtown. Most of the others in my original post are in the area called "Mira Mesa" which is about 15-20 min from downtown SD.

There are also a ton of great beer bars in the downtown and North Park area.

Check out the west coaster for a plethora of info on the SD Beer scene, they also have a nice Craft Beer interactive map:

SD Brewing Industry Watch 2012 – West Coaster - Serving the San Diego Craft Beer Community

It is supposed to be in the low 80's this weekend so you will enjoy some great fall weather.

Hi.
    Sounds awesome. I'd take moist and tacky any day over desert dust that you get in SD. You really have to drive an hour to hit the better stuff down there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm going to throw the Boston MA area into the mix. I've got 15 miles of single track out the door, 20 miles North of Boston. Great beer and breweries everywhere. 45 minutes to the beach. SD, really? lots of city there, not my cup of tea. Lots of great riding in pedaling distance and more in 1/2 hour ride. I would put the Boston MA beer as tops anywhere. Good thing we have choices.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Mission Brewery is only 2 blocks from Petco Park downtown. There is also a Rock Bottom Brewery in the Gas Lamp District downtown which has won some awards. Those are both walking distance.

The next closest would be Ballast Point tasting room at the Home Brew Mark in Linda Vista, Pizza Port in Ocean Beach which are both just a 10 min drive from Downtown. Most of the others in my original post are in the area called "Mira Mesa" which is about 15-20 min from downtown SD.

There are also a ton of great beer bars in the downtown and North Park area.

Check out the west coaster for a plethora of info on the SD Beer scene, they also have a nice Craft Beer interactive map:

SD Brewing Industry Watch 2012 – West Coaster - Serving the San Diego Craft Beer Community

Thanks for the info. If you are in the area I'll buy the first round!

It is supposed to be in the low 80's this weekend so you will enjoy some great fall weather.

Thanks for the info. If you are in the area I'll buy the 1st round!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I'm going to throw the Boston MA area into the mix. I've got 15 miles of single track out the door, 20 miles North of Boston. Great beer and breweries everywhere. 45 minutes to the beach. SD, really? lots of city there, not my cup of tea. Lots of great riding in pedaling distance and more in 1/2 hour ride. I would put the Boston MA beer as tops anywhere. Good thing we have choices.
    Really!

SD Beer > Boston Beer
    SD Beach > Boston Beach
    SD Weather > Boston Weather
    SD Population Density (3500/sq. mile) > Boston Population Density (6900/ sq. mile)

Not sure about the MTB scene in Boston as I've never ridden there, but it is a pretty flat area. I'd put east county SD riding up against anything in Boston.

Hi.
    Thanks for the info. If you are in the area I'll buy the 1st round!
    If you're down for a quick drive, head east on Highway 8 and go hit Alpine (especially if you like IPAs.) They are a tiny spot but they serve good BBQ and make some of the best beer in the country.

mtbr member
    Really!

SD Beer > Boston Beer
    SD Beach > Boston Beach
    SD Weather > Boston Weather
    SD Population Density (3500/sq. mile) > Boston Population Density (6900/ sq. mile)

Not sure about the MTB scene in Boston as I've never ridden there, but it is a pretty flat area. I'd put east county SD riding up against anything in Boston.
    Seriously, and I'm no hater of Boston nor a huge fan of SD.

Beer wise they are not in the same conversation.

mtbr member
    wow Hess has grown a good amount since i have been there, use to be a a small room. My buddy keeps telling me about societe, and how good it is. It is on my list when i get to San Diego. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Hey Klurejr what events are you going to San Diego Beer week???
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    wow Hess has grown a good amount since i have been there, use to be a a small room. My buddy keeps telling me about societe, and how good it is. It is on my list when i get to San Diego. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Hey Klurejr what events are you going to San Diego Beer week???
    Yeah Hess took over the space next door and knocked down the wall, so they literally doubled in size... lol.

They did have plans on the wall for a new bigger production facility in North Park which looks pretty awesome.

Societe makes great beer, and have a killer setup. They are right next to my office that I am in on Tuesday and Thursday so i get to enjoy the sweet smell of cereal on their brew days! They have a major Barrel Aging setup and should one day rival The Bruery which would be awesome.

I have yet to plan out my SD Beer week, shame on me. Perhaps the wife and I can look that over tonight and make some plans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, sounds like a challenge. Overall quality of life. How's that SD traffic ? I would stack up Boston/ New England beer against anywhere. Yes we have winter. Lets stick to Beer. Your top 5 in a throwdown ?

mtbr member
    Lets stick to Beer. Your top 5 in a throwdown ?
    Once again, I personally wouldn't want to live in SD (even though traffic is no where near L.A. bad btw) but in terms of beer, no metro area can really compare. This from a bay area native that was bred to hate SoCal.

SD Breweries...

AleSmith Brewing Company - 9368 Cabot Drive, San Diego
    The Lost Abbey - 155 Mata Way Ste 104, San Marcos
    Alpine Beer Company - 2351 Alpine Blvd., Alpine
    Societe Brewing Co. - 8262 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego
    Stone Brewing Co. - 1999 Citracado Parkway, Escondido
    Pizza Port Ocean Beach - 1956 Bacon St., San Diego
    Pizza Port Carlsbad - 571 Carlsbad Village Dr., Carlsbad
    Port Brewing Company - 155 Mata Way #104, San Marcos
    Pizza Port Solana Beach - 135 North Highway 101, Solana Beach
    Ballast Point Brewing Company - 10051 Old Grove Road Suite B, San Diego
    Latitude 33° Brewing Company - 1430 Vantage Court, Suite 104, Vista
    Green Flash Brewing Co. - 6550 Mira Mesa Blvd., San Diego
    Blind Lady Ale House & Automatic Brewing Co. - 3416 Adams Ave., San Diego
    Hess Brewing Company - 7955 Silverton Ave., San Diego
    Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 8980 Via La Jolla Dr., La Jolla
    Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery - 401 G Street, San Diego
    Coronado Brewing Company - 170 Orange Ave., Coronado
    Monkey Paw Pub & Brewery - 805 16th St, San Diego
    Aztec Brewing Company - 2330 La Mirada Dr Ste 300, Vista
    Gordon Biersch - 5010 Mission Center Road, San Diego
    The Beer Company - 602 Broadway Ste 101, San Diego
    Iron Fist Brewing Company - 1305 Hot Springs Way #101, Vista
    Mission Brewery - 1441 L Street, San Diego
    Karl Strauss Brewing Company - 5985 Santa Fe Street, San Diego
    Mother Earth Brew Co. - 2055 Thibodo Rd. Suite H, Vista

So, sounds like a challenge. Overall quality of life. How's that SD traffic ? I would stack up Boston/ New England beer against anywhere. Yes we have winter. Lets stick to Beer. Your top 5 in a throwdown ?
    I ride a motorcycle to work year round because the weather is so good, so traffic is not an issue.....

When it comes to beer there is no comparison.

Hi.
    Traffic? Are you serious? Way worse in Boston. San Diego is not LA. Boston pops up a bunch of times on here before SD.

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

But since we're talking beer, let's limit you to within an hour of downtown Boston. You can't compare one city to an entire region of the country. I'll do the same for SD.

Top five breweries:

1. Pizza Port
    2. Alpine
    3. Alesmith
    4. Port/Lost Abbey
    5. Toss up between Stone and Ballast Point

Your turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh snap, I'm done. Greenflash, Stone and Pizza Port, got any couch space? I'm great on the BBQ too.
    My five: Sam Adams, Cambridge Brewing, Harpoon, Mayflower, Smuttynose.

mtbr member
    Oh snap, I'm done. Greenflash, Stone and Pizza Port, got any couch space? I'm great on the BBQ too.
    My five: Sam Adams, Cambridge Brewing, Harpoon, Mayflower, Smuttynose.
    You could have at least gone with Clown Shoes. Smuttynose isn't even in MA!

Boston is a great city. We stayed with a friend a few years back when she was going to grad school at BU. She lived half a block off Hanover. Prosciutto/Tomato/Mozzarella/Basil on a roll with Balsamic and Olive Oil. I could live on those things.

Hi.
    Once again, I personally wouldn't want to live in SD (even though traffic is no where near L.A. bad btw) but in terms of beer, no metro area can really compare. This from a bay area native that was bred to hate SoCal.
    You'd like North County Coastal a lot, I think. Del Mar, Solana, Cardiff, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside. Totally different vibe than SD proper or south county.

The areas around Balboa Park can be cool too - North/South Park, University Heights, Hillcrest, etc. Great beer bars too.

I wouldn't live in Coastal SD south of La Jolla (except for maybe Point Loma.) I also wouldn't live anywhere else except coastal north county (La Jolla and north).

Drawbacks of SD include:

- Tourists
    - Strip Malls
    - Urban Sprawl
    - Young people in the military
    - Relatively expensive

Population density is a lot less than the Bay Area, which is nice, but it makes tourism more noticeable. Urban sprawl and strip malls (think Westfields and shopping centers with Best Buy as a focal point) are everywhere. The young people in the military stationed in San Diego is a pretty big issue - lots of drinking, fighting, DUIs, and overall tool-baggery. It's less expensive than the Bay Area, but still expensive compared to other parts of the country.

The area between La Jolla and Carlsbad doesn't suffer from these things as much.

mtbr member
    You'd like North County Coastal a lot, I think. Del Mar, Solana, Cardiff, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside. Totally different vibe than SD proper or south county.

The areas around Balboa Park can be cool too - North/South Park, University Heights, Hillcrest, etc. Great beer bars too.

I wouldn't live in Coastal SD south of La Jolla (except for maybe Point Loma.) I also wouldn't live anywhere else except coastal north county (La Jolla and north).

Drawbacks of SD include:

- Tourists
    - Strip Malls
    - Urban Sprawl
    - Young people in the military
    - Relatively expensive

Population density is a lot less than the Bay Area, which is nice, but it makes tourism more noticeable. Urban sprawl and strip malls (think Westfields and shopping centers with Best Buy as a focal point) are everywhere. The young people in the military stationed in San Diego is a pretty big issue - lots of drinking, fighting, DUIs, and overall tool-baggery. It's less expensive than the Bay Area, but still expensive compared to other parts of the country.

The area between La Jolla and Carlsbad doesn't suffer from these things as much.
    Oh yeah, North County is pretty sweet. Expensive but sweet. Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, etc. We have friends in Cardiff. Those are all cool towns. I also really like North Park. We have friends there too. Great neighborhood. Stumbling distance to 30th.

Overall, SD is like a better version of L.A. for me though. There are great pockets but the overall vibe isn't my thing. Lots of people love it though so hey. Yes, population density is less than the Bay but the geography up here breaks up the population so you have places where you can escape all the people pretty easily. East Bay Hills, Skyline Blvd., San Mateo Coast, West Marin, etc. SoCal doesn't really have that in my experience. You drive a half hour in any direction and it's just more of the same. Too dry for me too. I gotta have trees and greenery.

Moderator Moderator
    Exactly, There is no true break between San Diego City Limits and my House in Oceanside, however the City of Carlsbad and Encinitas are both incorporated and they are in-between...Still, 6 of the seven Breweries I visited are within San Diego City Limits.
    Encinitas is a super rad little beach town. Loved that area. We had relatives in Carlsbad for a little while, that area was cool as well. But you gotta pay to play in Southern California.

Curious, I trulia'd the areas mentioned here.

San Diego average and median listing prices - Trulia.com Median Sales Price
    $352,183

Encinitas, CA real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Price $658,000

Denver, CO real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Sales Price
    $235,000

Boulder, CO real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Sales Price
    $414,500

Fort Collins, CO real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Sales Price
    $229,375 (where I live)

Boston, MA real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Sales Price
    $505,000

Asheville, NC real estate overview - Trulia.com Median Sales Price