Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Beer Please!

Why San Diego is a better Beer City than Ashville, NC

Had some friends down for the weekend I have not seen in years and find out they are just as into Craft beer as we are, so we spent the day visiting a few of the Breweries in San Diego:

Tastings at the following:
    Alesmith
    Hess
    Rough Draft
    Societe
    Ballast Point
    Mission
    Dinner at Stone.

Some pics from the day:

It was a good Saturday!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    Clearly a better beer city than Ashville ever could be. Thanks for setting us straight!

/thread

(oh, also /sarcasm)
    Last edited by RichardinLA; 10-29-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardinLA View Post
    Clearly a better beer city than Ashville ever could be. Thanks for setting us straight!

/thread

(oh, also /sarcasm)
    San Diego Beer > Asheville Beer.

mtbr member
    There is no denying that San Diego is pretty much the capital of craft beer.

My only problem with it as a beer city is that it's not really a "city". Stone is 34 miles from downtown for god's sake.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    There is no denying that San Diego is pretty much the capital of craft beer.

My only problem with it as a beer city is that it's not really a "city". Stone is 34 miles from downtown for god's sake.
    Beer County USA?

Bend Beer > Asheville Beer.

That a better comparison?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Beer County USA?

Bend Beer > Asheville Beer.

That a better comparison?
    "Beer County USA" is absolutely the case.

And yes, while I haven't been to either I would have to say Bend>Asheville just in terms of beer.

Beer Me!
    Whoa Whoa Whoa there fellas.

Fort Collins > asheville/san diago/Bend etc...

I think we all have a little different preference on this matter. I will not even attempt to deny the fact that San Diago (aka whales vajaja...Anchorman 'a whales vagina' - YouTube) is a solid beer town, but does not mean I would want to live there. Give me Mountains, ability to drive to Solitude, and brewery density per square mile, and I would take Fort Collins, Bend, Portland over San Diago any day for where I want to live. Take all of this with a big grain of salt as I am not a fan of SoCal.

Ashville is also small at the moment, 5 years from now is when it may be a contender after NB, SN and Oscar Blues move in.

P.S. Cool pics btw, moar please
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, we do have some epic beer around here. Thank God, because the trails are getting bulldozed. The riding in Asheville has SD beat and with the housing market in a slump you can get yourself a nice house for like $16 bucks. I just closed a deal on a cozy little french cheateau style home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why San Diego is a better Beer City than Ashville, NC-rease-biltmore-estate.jpg  

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post

I think we all have a little different preference on this matter. I will not even attempt to deny the fact that San Diago (aka whales vajaja...Anchorman 'a whales vagina' - YouTube) is a solid beer town, but does not mean I would want to live there. Give me Mountains, ability to drive to Solitude, and brewery density per square mile, and I would take Fort Collins, Bend, Portland over San Diago any day for where I want to live. Take all of this with a big grain of salt as I am not a fan of SoCal.

Ashville is also small at the moment, 5 years from now is when it may be a contender after NB, SN and Oscar Blues move in.

San Diego Beer > Fort Collins Beer.

Oh, and good luck getting your surf on in any over the other spots!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I just closed a deal on a cozy little french cheateau style home.
    Nice! Gotta change that winery over to a brewery ASAP.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    I am very pleased to learn about the superiority of San Diego as a beer city over the extremely pathetic and anemic Asheville, NC area. I have heard that because of the extreme Western nature of the city/county of San Diego that drinking the beer there makes one walk like a very manly cowboy man. Can you confirm this?

mtbr member

Ultimate Beer City...

Beer, beaches, girls and possibly weather (a little too dry for my tastes) of San Diego. Subtract the traffic, sprawl, strip malls and general dbaginess of So Cal. Then add the mountains and trails of Bend, Asheville and Ft. Collins. Add the food of a San Francisco or Portland. Subtract the pretentiousness of those places. Add lots of jobs and cheap real estate. I'm there.

Hi.
    Ultimate Beer City...

Beer, beaches, girls and possibly weather (a little too dry for my tastes) of San Diego. Subtract the traffic, sprawl, strip malls and general dbaginess of So Cal. Then add the mountains and trails of Bend, Asheville and Ft. Collins. Add the food of a San Francisco or Portland. Subtract the pretentiousness of those places. Add lots of jobs and cheap real estate. I'm there.
    Where is this utopia of which you speak?

tl1
    Bicyclist

What? Surfing is huge on Michigan's West Coast where Bell's, Founders and New Holland are. They even do it in Indiana.

Beer Me!
    Ultimate Beer City...

Im packin my bags, tell me where this is

Beer Me!

Not a surfer, but i can hit trails riding from my doorstep

Do a google image search of Fort Collins = mountains, solitude, epic
    Same search of San Diego = City, beach, city, city, city

I guess I just don't like people as much as you do.

Afric Pepperbird
    It's about time those asshats who proclaim Asheville a better beer city than San Diego; anywhere in Oregon; etc., are put in their place!!

Lovely city, to be sure. But let's not get pear-shaped delusional!

(No asshats were harmed in the typing of this response. We're all beer lovers, after all!)

Hi.
    I guess I just don't like people as much as you do.
    No way man, I know all about FC. Never been there, but it looks wonderful. Especially from what I've seen that you share

And no, I don't like people very much. At least a ton of people. SD is pretty spread out, MUCH better than the Bay Area in terms of population density.

Long term goals include owning a home in both SD and Bend. And visiting FC of course. Possibly even living in one of those other areas.

And you'd dig SD - solid mountain biking, bouldering, and beaches. And you can ride year-round without snow.

And seriously - the beer is awesome.

Beer Me!
    No way man, I know all about FC. Never been there, but it looks wonderful. Especially from what I've seen that you share

And no, I don't like people very much. At least a ton of people. SD is pretty spread out, MUCH better than the Bay Area in terms of population density.

Long term goals include owning a home in both SD and Bend. And visiting FC of course. Possibly even living in one of those other areas.

And you'd dig SD - solid mountain biking, bouldering, and beaches. And you can ride year-round without snow.

And seriously - the beer is awesome.

Well maybe its ok then, just very very low on my places to visit. In fact I plan on going to Ashville in the next couple years, as well as Charlette (some amazing history out there) and hit up the Pisgah for riding. No plans for SD, though I will never dispute that good beer is produced there.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    What? Surfing is huge on Michigan's West Coast where Bell's, Founders and New Holland are. They even do it in Indiana.
    Unsalted. I still need to watch this doc.

Brewery Vivant at the beach...nothing better.

Grand Rapids IS Beer City!
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Seattle is terrible. Lousy beer and no decent riding. Move to Ashville or Grand Rapids instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Seattle is terrible. Lousy beer and no decent riding. Move to Ashville or Grand Rapids instead.
    Seattle is an awesome city. One of my favorites really. Its proximity to the Olympic Peninsula/San Juan Islands/Cascades make it an amazing destination for outdoor enthusiasts.

However, the quality of the beer/breweries should be better than they are frankly. Seattle was such a huge part of the initial microbrewery movement in the 80's and 90's I'm not sure why it has fallen behind over the last ten years or so.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    It's about time those asshats who proclaim Asheville a better beer city than San Diego; anywhere in Oregon; etc., are put in their place!!

Lovely city, to be sure. But let's not get pear-shaped delusional!

(No asshats were harmed in the typing of this response. We're all beer lovers, after all!)
    This is what I was going for. I only gave this thread that title because I don't think Ashville deserves to be on the Radar for the best beer city, that whole vote thing that happens every year is obviously broken. Of course any vote that takes place online is going be skewed.

I just had a wonderful day of beer tasting, probably the most I have been able to do since my stay in the Hospital this past summer, and I wanted to share.

To the person who mentioned that Stone is 34 miles north of SD, yes that is true, Stone is technically in the City of Escondido. In fact a number of Breweries are located in North San Diego County. Just like many people refer to parts of LA that are actually other incorporated Cities, most people refer to all of San Diego county as being "San Diego".
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Seattle is an awesome city. One of my favorites really. Its proximity to the Olympic Peninsula/San Juan Islands/Cascades make it an amazing destination for outdoor enthusiasts.

However, the quality of the beer/breweries should be better than they are frankly. Seattle was such a huge part of the initial microbrewery movement in the 80's and 90's I'm not sure why it has fallen behind over the last ten years or so.
    It's coming back...just under the radar a bit. While there are a few production breweries up there, most of the breweries aren't big enough to sustain distribution outside of the state. But beers like Wisdom Seeker from Black Raven show that they can definitely make some world-class beers.

Seattle's a great place with awesome food and one of the best vibes of any major city in the US, but I can't take rain 40% of the year.

mtbr member
    It's coming back...just under the radar a bit. While there are a few production breweries up there, most of the breweries aren't big enough to sustain distribution outside of the state. But beers like Wisdom Seeker from Black Raven show that they can definitely make some world-class beers.

Seattle's a great place with awesome food and one of the best vibes of any major city in the US, but I can't take rain 40% of the year.
    You're a fountain of knowledge jtmartino. I've heard of Black Raven (seen their ads in BA mag and other places) but have not tried any of their beers. Will try to so so next time we are up there. In terms of breweries, we usually go to Elysian when we are in Seattle, which I have enjoyed.

My dream living scenario would be spending half the year in Santa Cruz and half the year in the San Juans but then again I am a super white boy who doesn't tan and doesn't mind the rain.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast