Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where to go in San Francisco

I'll be in San Fransisco this summer. Where should I go? What breweries? What to avoid?
    Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Where are you staying? Will you have transportation? SF only or greater Bay Area?

Lot's to see and taste so just trying to narrow it down.

Beer Please!
    If you can cross the Bay to Oakland/San Leandro I would recommend you hit up the following:

Beer Revolution, Oakland
    Cato's, Oakland (Piedmont)
    The Trappist, Oakland
    Drakes Brewing, San Leandro

In San Fran itself I have only been to 21st Amendment brewery and Monks Kettle, both of which were cool. I have heard good things about Toronado as well.

North Bay it is worth the drive to hit up Moylans, lagunitas and Russian River, and if you are feeling extra frisky drive all the way up to Bear Republic.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Please!
    Also I have an App for my smart phone called "find craft beer" which is always handy in finding craft beer close to where you are going or are currently at.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking we will be in the Bay area, but I'll make it a point to go to Russian River. Any other suggestions for things to do either beer or non beer related?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's a big area. Lots to see and do. Touristy stuff, great food, history, scenery, wineries. If you go up to the Russian River area, you can go tubing or kayaking on the river, hit the brewery, visit some wineries, see redwoods - drive over to the coast. It's a super beautiful area.

Closer to San Francisco, Marin County also has a lot to see and do. South of San Francisco, there are a lot of beautiful areas on the peninsula.

Beer Please!
    There is also a pretty cool Karting track called Lens Karting on the east Bay side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    There is also a pretty cool Karting track called Lens Karting on the east Bay side.
    I turned up Le Mans Karting in Fremont. LeMans Karting Center | Indoor Outdoor Kart Racing | Fremont, CA | Go Kart Racing | Fun for the Whole Family ? LeMans Karting

I never knew that was there, and it sure looks like fun.

21st Amendment was the place I visited when I was in San Francisco about a year and a half ago. I pulled up the Great American Beer Fest awards for the year and tried to find breweries with award winners. Didn't find any of the award-winning beers on my short visit, but the beers I did taste were excellent, anyway.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    A couple other suggestions from yet-another-non-resident:

- Toronado
    - City Beer Store
    - Monk's Kettle
    - Amnesia

And as a beer aficionado, you have a moral obligation to take the Anchor tour.

aka baycat
    As someone who lives and drinks throughout the City, my recommendation would be this:

City Beer Store
    Toronado
    Magnolia Brewery

If you are traveling outside SF:

Russian River
    Beer Revolution
    Trappist

mtbr member
    I will second the recommendation of Drakes Brewing. Great brews (I'm drinking a Drakes Denogginizer DIPA right now), and big selection of barrel aged goodies.
    The tap room is actually the barrel room.
    The building they are in is part of the original Caterpillar manufacturing facility.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Check out Triple Rock Brewery in Berkeley. They brew their stuff on site, you can't really buy any of it, but they have some delicious beers. If you're there on a Thursday, you can try the Monkey Head beer, which is delicious, but get there by 8 because they run out quickly. Also, Pyramid has a brewery in Berkeley as well. I have heard a lot of good things about Beer Revolution in Oakland which has been mentioned above. Enjoy!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    I turned up Le Mans Karting in Fremont. LeMans Karting Center | Indoor Outdoor Kart Racing | Fremont, CA | Go Kart Racing | Fun for the Whole Family ? LeMans Karting

I never knew that was there, and it sure looks like fun.
    That is the one! I was up in Oakland for a work thing, and me and my co-worker were working nights, so one day we drove down there an did a race, it was a blast!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Someone mentioned Toronado.. great beers. Odd place.. don't do the wheat grass shot or whatever that is. You may not wake up the next morning.. this is not a dare. Haha.

Beer Revolution in Oakland is awesome.

21st Amendment is top notch, go here first.

Will you just be in SF? Great places throughout the bay. A new beer bar just opened in San Jose - Original Gravity Public House

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDrew View Post
    Someone mentioned Toronado.. great beers. Odd place.. don't do the wheat grass shot or whatever that is. You may not wake up the next morning.. this is not a dare. Haha.
    I have a permanent love affair with the Toronado after I watched the heavily-tattoed bartender punch some drunken frat-boy/banker d-bag right in the face when he grabbed her after repeatedly being told to chill the f' out. He was then picked up by the bouncers and literally tossed out the door, over the sidewalk into Haight Street.

Ahhh...good times...

mtbr member

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    That is one of the coolest websites I have ever seen. I wish we had a guide like that for San Diego, though there are only a few places within walking distance of the train system's we have here in the county, Sprinter/Coaster/Trolley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I have a permanent love affair with the Toronado after I watched the heavily-tattoed bartender punch some drunken frat-boy/banker d-bag right in the face when he grabbed her after repeatedly being told to chill the f' out. He was then picked up by the bouncers and literally tossed out the door, over the sidewalk into Haight Street.

Ahhh...good times...
    Sounds about right.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would also check into Rogue Ales Public House in North Beach if in the Area. Always a great selection!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sinforsale View Post
    I would also check into Rogue Ales Public House in North Beach if in the Area. Always a great selection!
    I second this.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Take a tour of Anchor. It's free, but requires reservations. Their beers may not be trendy, but Maytag (former owner of Anchor) is the grand daddy of the craft beer movement in the Unites States.

As for other stuff to do, you will have to be very specific as to what you *want* to do. I've been living in the area for over 25 years and have yet to be bored. Give some specifics on where you are staying, what turns your crank and your mode of transportation for getting around the area and you'll likely get some good suggestions.

mtbr member
    Rouge is very close to the basement at La Trappe..
    once you see their beer menu you will understand
    they also have good real deal pommes frites
    try that and an order of Mussels in beer
    Name:  homer-drool.gif
Views: 646
Size:  5.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sinforsale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magnato1 View Post
    I second this.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Must see brewery is South Pacific Brewing company.

Off the top of my head, here are some awesome places to go:
    -Dolores Park on a sunny day
    -Shanghai Dumpling King in the Outer Sunset (byob best chinese in the city)
    -Emmy's Spagetti Shack in Bernal Heights (best spaghetti and meatballs in the world)
    -walk from the Lower Haight to the Upper Haight
    -take the ferry to Sausalito
    -Suppenkuche in Hayes Valley (german beerhaus)

Other than that, it all depends on what you want to do. Shameless plug -- me and my buddy just made an app for this. Tell us where you would go in your hometown, and we'll show you the closest match in San Francisco. You can check it out for free at Zofari City Guides.

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast