• 12-16-2012
    Gordon Shumway
    1 Attachment(s)
    What's your latest homebrew?
    I brewed a Blind Pig IPA clone yesterday and it is bubbling away nicely. The storage room where it's at is at a perfect 68f. What is currently in production at your house?

    Pic added:
  • 12-17-2012
    willapajames
    Just brewed a Belgian Double on Saturday. Partial mash kit from Northern Brewer called "La Petite Orange". It had been a few months since I'd brewed, so it was nice to fill the house with the delicious smells of wort again.
  • 12-17-2012
    trevor_b
    A vanilla porter that's ready to be kegged, and an IPA.
  • 12-17-2012
    Harold
    I've got a peach ginger mead that's about ready for its first racking, and then it will be oaked for a couple weeks.
  • 12-17-2012
    Gordon Shumway
    @willapajames - That sounds good, big fan of Belgian's myself. This batch was also my first brew for a few months and it was nice to have that wort smell back! I always find myself a little tipsy by the time I am pitching the yeast and taking the SG reading. :thumbsup:

    @trevor_b - Never had a vanilla porter, you will have to report back on the outcome!

    @NateHawk - I still keep saying "I want to try out making mead" and never get around to it.. peach ginger sounds awesome so you may have inspired me!

    :D
  • 12-17-2012
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    @NateHawk - I still keep saying "I want to try out making mead" and never get around to it.. peach ginger sounds awesome so you may have inspired me!

    :D

    Mead is pretty easy. The honey ain't cheap, though. I think this batch cost me $80 in honey (tupelo honey from FL). For peaches, freestone peaches are WAY easier to use for obvious reasons. I found my last recipe, a blueberry vanilla, to be much easier because the blueberries were just so much easier to handle than peaches.
  • 12-17-2012
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Mead is pretty easy. The honey ain't cheap, though. I think this batch cost me $80 in honey (tupelo honey from FL). For peaches, freestone peaches are WAY easier to use for obvious reasons. I found my last recipe, a blueberry vanilla, to be much easier because the blueberries were just so much easier to handle than peaches.

    Sorry in advance about the threadjack:
    Do you do multiple pitches of yeast for your mead? If yes, does it work? I read about some pro mead makers that pitch yeast multiple times (Day one, after fermentation starts to slow, and once more to fully attenuate). The reports are this method gets compelte fermentation in weeks vs months.
  • 12-17-2012
    Gordon Shumway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Sorry in advance about the threadjack:
    Do you do multiple pitches of yeast for your mead? If yes, does it work? I read about some pro mead makers that pitch yeast multiple times (Day one, after fermentation starts to slow, and once more to fully attenuate). The reports are this method gets compelte fermentation in weeks vs months.

    Threadjacks welcome.. I just wanted to get more homebrew chatter going so keep it all coming! Beer, mead, wine, moonshine... :band:
  • 12-17-2012
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Sorry in advance about the threadjack:
    Do you do multiple pitches of yeast for your mead? If yes, does it work? I read about some pro mead makers that pitch yeast multiple times (Day one, after fermentation starts to slow, and once more to fully attenuate). The reports are this method gets compelte fermentation in weeks vs months.

    nope. I've never had a problem getting complete fermentation in weeks with my batches. I choose yeast strains that work well with the temp ranges that I have in the room where my fermenter does its magic. For me, I tend to ferment at around 70F because I don't have a basement and I don't have any cooling gear. I do have dark closets. I am also generous with supplying my yeast with enough nutrient and degassing. I also hydrate my yeast a day or two before pitching it.

    For my blueberry vanilla, I tossed everything into primary and it zoomed through the fermentation. It took me longer to get to bottling waiting for the lees to settle, and at the time I had to rack it from primary into 1gal carboys, which I then bottled from. it was a clumsy process.

    With my peach ginger, I did a primary fermentation that only took about 2 weeks with just the honey, and the peaches and ginger went into secondary. I only got a little additional fermentation and it was slower because whole peaches release their sugars slowly. This one has more residual sweetness than the blueberry vanilla, which went completely dry to around 19-20% alcohol. I don't have a good way to measure the peach ginger, but going by taste, it seems significantly lower in alcohol than my previous batch.

    Also with this batch, I've been super busy and unable to keep on top of it exactly. I left the peaches in secondary for quite a long time after the fermentation finished. It didn't hurt anything. After that, I let it "bulk age" in the fermenter for awhile. Now I'm ready to rack it off of the lees and oak it and that process will probably take about a month if I am on top of things. I'm using sparkolloid to get the lees to settle out better since this is a light colored mead, I want it to be clear.
  • 12-17-2012
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    nope. I've never had a problem getting complete fermentation in weeks with my batches. I choose yeast strains that work well with the temp ranges that I have in the room where my fermenter does its magic. For me, I tend to ferment at around 70F because I don't have a basement and I don't have any cooling gear. I do have dark closets. I am also generous with supplying my yeast with enough nutrient and degassing. I also hydrate my yeast a day or two before pitching it.

    For my blueberry vanilla, I tossed everything into primary and it zoomed through the fermentation. It took me longer to get to bottling waiting for the lees to settle, and at the time I had to rack it from primary into 1gal carboys, which I then bottled from. it was a clumsy process.

    With my peach ginger, I did a primary fermentation that only took about 2 weeks with just the honey, and the peaches and ginger went into secondary. I only got a little additional fermentation and it was slower because whole peaches release their sugars slowly. This one has more residual sweetness than the blueberry vanilla, which went completely dry to around 19-20% alcohol. I don't have a good way to measure the peach ginger, but going by taste, it seems significantly lower in alcohol than my previous batch.

    Also with this batch, I've been super busy and unable to keep on top of it exactly. I left the peaches in secondary for quite a long time after the fermentation finished. It didn't hurt anything. After that, I let it "bulk age" in the fermenter for awhile. Now I'm ready to rack it off of the lees and oak it and that process will probably take about a month if I am on top of things. I'm using sparkolloid to get the lees to settle out better since this is a light colored mead, I want it to be clear.

    I've always just put a bit of nutrient, adjust pH, add some air, yeast and let it go. I usually add any spice/fruit/flavor after primary. Product is great, but it takes quite a while to get through the ferment.... I'll probably try the multiple pitch method sometime though.
  • 12-17-2012
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I've always just put a bit of nutrient, adjust pH, add some air, yeast and let it go. I usually add any spice/fruit/flavor after primary. Product is great, but it takes quite a while to get through the ferment.... I'll probably try the multiple pitch method sometime though.

    what strain(s) of yeast do you use? I've used D47 and K1V in my recipes because they're good in the temp ranges I have to work with.

    Austin Homebrew Supply
  • 12-18-2012
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    what strain(s) of yeast do you use? I've used D47 and K1V in my recipes because they're good in the temp ranges I have to work with.

    Austin Homebrew Supply

    I've experimented with various liquid (beer, mead, cider) strains over the years. It seems the yeast variety makes less difference than in beer beer. I've never settled on a favorite.
  • 12-18-2012
    dmboarder
    My last one was a Cherry Bomb Cider. It's bottled, but I will have to pasteurize it in the next day or two to keep from having bottle bombs. It finished at 9.5% with a tart apple and a slight sweet cherry finish. Dangerous.

    I'm gonna do another batch of honey cream ale tomorrow. It's cream ale extract kit that I add some steeped honey malt to for a little extra flavor. It's our go-to after ride beer and is very refreshing.
  • 12-18-2012
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I've experimented with various liquid (beer, mead, cider) strains over the years. It seems the yeast variety makes less difference than in beer beer. I've never settled on a favorite.

    I always get the dry yeast and rehydrate it in a small bottle of must, so I see it churning away when I pitch it. the strains I mentioned are wine yeasts, FWIW.
  • 12-18-2012
    Harold
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dmboarder View Post
    My last one was a Cherry Bomb Cider. It's bottled, but I will have to pasteurize it in the next day or two to keep from having bottle bombs. It finished at 9.5% with a tart apple and a slight sweet cherry finish. Dangerous.

    I'm gonna do another batch of honey cream ale tomorrow. It's cream ale extract kit that I add some steeped honey malt to for a little extra flavor. It's our go-to after ride beer and is very refreshing.

    what was your basic recipe for the cider (no need for any secret ingredient lists or ingredient ratios or anything)? I would like to do a cider or a cyser (apple mead) but the only cider I can manage to find has preservatives in it and I'm not quite ready to buy my own apple press.
  • 12-19-2012
    dmboarder
    No problem, it's not some crazy secret concoction. I basically used a variation of UpstateMike's Carmel Apple Cider from Homebrewtalk.com. For mine, I put a gallon of the fresh cider from Sam's and 2 of the 96 oz Member's Mark Apple Juice into the bucket. Then, you pour half of two bottles of the MMAJ into the bucket and put 1.5lb of dextrose into the bottles and shake until it's dissolved. Pour that into the bucket and then add one more 96oz bottle and one 64oz bottle of store brand apple juice. I then put a can of the Vintner's Harvest Sweet Cherry Puree and mixed well with my cordless drill and the wine mixer thing. That aerated it pretty well, too. I pitched one pack of Nottingham that I had re-hydrated in some water for 15min and airlocked it. After a few days, there was virtually no activity and I got worried. Seems I should have put the cherry puree in after it was fermented since there's apparently something in it that inhibits. I used some of the mixture and started another packet of Nottingham and pitched that into the fermenter. It then took off and started bubbling like crazy. I think the OG was around 1.069 and I let it get to 0.995, which took about 2 weeks. I then racked it to a carboy, using a grain steeping bag as a filter, which was good since there was a lot of cherry peel lees that really made it super cloudy. You leave it in the carboy one day and then make the backsweetening carmel sauce. I boiled for 5 minutes 2C of brown sugar, 2C water, 2 tbl cinnamon extract, 3 tbl vanilla extract, and 1 tbl Watkins butter extract. I made the cinnamon by soaking some cinnamon sticks in spiced rum and the vanilla by soaking vanilla bean (opened and scraped) in vodka. After it cools, you add the carmel mixture and 4 cans of thawed frozen concentrated apple juice to the bottling bucket and then add the juice mixture. Be sure to mix well and stir several time while bottling. When you bottle, be sure to bottle into two plastic Coke type bottles and squeeze the air out of the headspace to be able to gauge carbonation. When it's carbonated, you then have to pasteurize the bottles to prevent them from becoming bombs. All of these procedures are discussed very thoroughly in the thread above.

    As for the cider, I will be pasteurizing tonight, as the two plastic bottles are getting pretty firm. I opened one bottle last night to check it and let my wife drink it. Since I put the cherries in the primary, the cherry flavor is very subtle. You just pick up a tiny bit of cherry sweetness on the finish, along with some apple tart. She said it tasted like a cinnamon roll, and I agree. I would cut the cinnamon down to probably 1 or 1.5 tbl in the next batch and add the cherries later in the process. Overall, it's very tasty, if you like a sweet cider and you can't taste the alcohol at all. Judging from the way her eyes got glassy and red after about half a glass, though, it's definitely in there. :thumbsup:
  • 12-19-2012
    square
    simcoe/amarillo ipa in primary.

    wookey jack clone on deck.
  • 12-20-2012
    Gingerdawg
    Surly Furious clone
    Kate The Great Russian Imperial Stout
  • 12-20-2012
    andy f
    Not beer, but lately I've been drinking a 2009 60% Sangiovese/40% Syrah blend that I made. The Sangiovese came from Dos Ninas vineyard in Gilroy and the Syrah was from Split Rail vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mtns. above Corralitos. Crushed, fermented, and pressed in my garage and aged in a one year old Remond French oak barrel for 16 months. Four day cold soak prior to pitching the yeast.

    I have 16-17 cases left so I'm glad it turned out well. A year ago or so, it wasn't tasting so nice.
  • 12-20-2012
    ndinh
    Kegged a Blind Pig a week ago and it's muy delicioso. Just kegged a Belgian dark ale, brewed with star anise, fresh orange peel and corriander. Can't wait to try that because it smells so good. On deck, a Delerium Tremens clone.
  • 12-20-2012
    Gordon Shumway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Kegged a Blind Pig a week ago and it's muy delicioso. Just kegged a Belgian dark ale, brewed with star anise, fresh orange peel and corriander. Can't wait to try that because it smells so good. On deck, a Delerium Tremens clone.

    Nice! I've been wanting to do a Delerium Tremens clone. All grain or partial mash/extract?
  • 12-20-2012
    ndinh
    It'll be all grain. I found this on homebrewtalk:

    All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone) - Home Brew Forums

    It looks tasty.
  • 12-22-2012
    GelatiCruiser
    I have been into homebrewing since somewhere around 2000. I have moved twice in the last few years and just yesterday went to pick up a homebrew kit for a cousin of mine who is looking to get into it. I haven't brewed in about 4 years because...well, I don't really have an excuse other than "life got in the way"...but any way, I went to the local homebrew shop yesterday and ended up scooping a kit for myself. It's a partial, but I'm dusting the gear off and brewing an IPA. After this I'll be doing an Irish Red Ale and a Steam brew. Can't wait! I love brewing beer, especially this time of year.
  • 12-22-2012
    Gordon Shumway
    1 Attachment(s)
    My latest homebrew pour: a Belgian strong golden ale I brewed in 2011. I actually got 2nd in a little local contest with this one, my first contest too. It aged really well but I only have 2 bottles left.

    Bad sideways iphone pic:
  • 12-24-2012
    toezter
    Fade to Black IPA brewed last night, and apple jack today.
  • 01-20-2013
    moschika
    Tried a Hot Rod Rye IPA clone.

    bottled it about a week ago, so not sure yet. but the pre-bottle tasting says it should be good.
  • 01-20-2013
    SkidVicious
    I'm gonna try home brewing this year, nothing like fresh beer. My buddy cracked a rye PA from his batch thats still bottle fermenting on friday night to try, soooo yummy...
  • 01-21-2013
    JFryauff
    Just ordered a pound of El Dorado and Citra for a DIPA recipe I am putting together.
    Had a single hop El Dorado IPA this past weekend, and fell in love with it.

    8.5 SRM, 8-8.5% ABV, 100+ IBU (116 calculated).
    Lots of Golden Promise, lots of late addition hops, and two dry-hop schedules.
  • 01-21-2013
    Klurejr
    This thread should be merged with the other home brew thread since they are basically the same thing.... Admins? Moderators?

    :-)
  • 01-21-2013
    jafstl38
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
  • 01-22-2013
    square
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Just ordered a pound of El Dorado and Citra for a DIPA recipe I am putting together.
    Had a single hop El Dorado IPA this past weekend, and fell in love with it.

    8.5 SRM, 8-8.5% ABV, 100+ IBU (116 calculated).
    Lots of Golden Promise, lots of late addition hops, and two dry-hop schedules.

    where'd you order the citra from? I'm down to .5 lbs...

    planning an simple irish stout for this weekend (if it's not too cold).
  • 01-22-2013
    dirtyjack
    Head Scratcher India Pale Weizen
  • 01-22-2013
    shyamrox
    red ale from brewer's best. brewed on the 13th hour of the 13th day of '13!
  • 01-22-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by square View Post
    where'd you order the citra from? I'm down to .5 lbs...

    planning an simple irish stout for this weekend (if it's not too cold).

    My local home-brew store has Citra for the moment, so that wasn't hard.
    Sourcing the El Dorado was more difficult though, other than placing a bulk order as an actual brewery, only 10% of every years crop is allocated for home-brew use/distribution.
    I was able to find one place out in MO that had a little left.
  • 01-22-2013
    Klurejr
    Do you guys use whole hops or pellets?
  • 01-22-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Do you guys use whole hops or pellets?

    Both.
    Obviously some varietals are easier to get in pellet form, and you can use less pellet than whole leaf by weight, which can be nice in certain instances.
    I don't really prefer one over the other normally.
    I do love using the ones I grow in some sort of annual wet-hopped brew, it's just fun cramming that much whole hop cone into the kettle ;)
  • 01-22-2013
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Do you guys use whole hops or pellets?

    I also use both - but mostly whole.
    I prefer whole because my system is made to use whole - easier to clean. :)
    I grow more hops than I can use, so, unless there is some specific need I generally make recipes that work with what I grow.
  • 01-22-2013
    square
    i use pellet. i try to buy in bulk and pellets are easier to store.
  • 01-22-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I grow more hops than I can use...

    Sounds like an issue...I'll PM you my address :D
  • 01-24-2013
    customfab
    I've put up 40 gallons this month. Should last me for a wife.

    pale, based off Dales Pale
    Rodeo Monkey, 140 IBU cascadia dark ale
    Espresso stout
    SN, Celebration clone.

    That's going to do me for a while. I'll probably do another couple batches right before summer starts and I start traveling again.
  • 01-25-2013
    banditfl
    I know "Obama Beer"
    Just bottled a week ago:

  • 01-25-2013
    bob82pigdog
    Can't post up pictures yet, but I just finished drinking off my first batch of homebrew - citrus spiced wheat beer. It was basically a Blue Moon clone and tasted great! Very similair to Blue Moon itself but had that extra sweet taste of satisfaction added! 3 weeks after initial bottling, however, it started losing its flavor and started to taste more just like a plain wheat beer, which is still fine.
  • 01-25-2013
    bob82pigdog
    JFryauff and debaucherous - That's awesome that you grow your own hops! How hard is this to do at home?
  • 01-25-2013
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    JFryauff and debaucherous - That's awesome that you grow your own hops! How hard is this to do at home?

    Stupid easy. They grow like weeds.
    Cascade will grow well in most climates and generally produces well.
  • 01-25-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I've put up 40 gallons this month. Should last me for a wife.

    I am not sure I understand this unit of time measurement. :cool:
  • 01-27-2013
    jafstl38
    just made a nice Cream ale, great lawnmowing beer!
  • 01-27-2013
    customfab
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    just made a nice Cream ale, great lawnmowing beer!

    Are you still mowing the lawn? That wont happen around here for another 3-4 months.
  • 01-28-2013
    JFryauff
    Almost ready for DIPA brew-day!





    1lb of each (pellets).
  • 01-29-2013
    Gordon Shumway
    I'm lazy...
    ...so I want to start kegging my homebrews. I already have a kegerator that fits a 15gal barrel so I am set there. Now I just need to find a couple of soda kegs and research how to get it all setup etc. The dude at a local shop laughed at me when I asked if he had any used ones so I guess I'll start my internet hunt. My Blind Pig clone I brewed in December is ready for bottling (2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary after dry hopping) so I guess I'll bottle it rather than waiting. I hate bottling. :prft: /rant
  • 01-29-2013
    JFryauff
    First of all...kegging will change your life :D
    It's hard to bottle at all anymore, even if I feel a style will be better off bottle conditioned (Belgians, farmhouse, etc.), kegging is just so wonderfully easy.

    Second of all...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    The dude at a local shop laughed at me when I asked if he had any used ones so I guess I'll start my internet hunt.

    Is this because they sell out too quickly, or because they are turning up their noses at used kegs?

    Good luck with your kegging endeavor!
  • 02-02-2013
    customfab
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    ...so I want to start kegging my homebrews. I already have a kegerator that fits a 15gal barrel so I am set there. Now I just need to find a couple of soda kegs and research how to get it all setup etc. The dude at a local shop laughed at me when I asked if he had any used ones so I guess I'll start my internet hunt. My Blind Pig clone I brewed in December is ready for bottling (2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary after dry hopping) so I guess I'll bottle it rather than waiting. I hate bottling. :prft: /rant

    Used corny kegs are getting fairly hard to find. I know my local shop "the brew shop" in BendOR normally has some. Most of the good ones were cherry picked long ago, not just locally, but all around the country. The soda industry still uses them for temporary setups so their not completely obsolete. Might check with your local cola distributor first.

    As far as setting up a keg system you will need a co2 bottle, regulator and the correct style fittings for your keg (pin or ball lock) then your down to some hose and plumbing fittings. Make sure you use Teflon tape on everything so it doesn't leak. It sucks to blow through Co2, not so much from an expense stand point more just a convince. If your looking to do t on the cheap genuine innovations makes a corny Co2 setup that works off the Co2 cartridges we are familiar with. It's a little hard to force carbonate with them but it can be done. Whatever you do DO NOT use the BB gun cartridges for beer, they contain oil to lube guns. You can either use a picnic faucet or put a proper tap handle/s in the door. Then you just have to convince your wife to let you put it in the house.

    I got lucky when I bought 6 kegs off ebay several years ago and they were all in pretty good shape. Then last summer I picked up another pair because they were cheap and almost new.
  • 02-04-2013
    Klurejr
    Yesterday morning I went over and helped Rack my first home brew into secondary.

    Here is a selfy of me sampling the brew out of the hydrometer tube:


    10.5% Imperial Stout.

    Check out that deep rich color:


    Siphoning one of the two Carboys:


    And here is a quick video of us using this cool brush thing attached to a drill to help clean our the yeast residue:
    Cleaning the carboy - YouTube

    Going to let it sit for a week and bottle and keg this weekend!
  • 02-04-2013
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Yesterday morning I went over and helped Rack my first home brew into secondary.

    Going to let it sit for a week and bottle and keg this weekend!

    Great job!
    What were your starting and current gravity readings, just out of curiosity?
    How does it taste?
  • 02-04-2013
    Notactjack
    1 Attachment(s)
    What's your latest homebrew?
    Attachment 768631
    This is my Amarillo / Citra ipa. It's a little cloudy but oh well it has tons of hop character.
  • 02-05-2013
    dmboarder
    2 Attachment(s)
    I make a honey cream ale that is our team's go-to beer for after rides. It was named after one of our team member's personal problem with collecting LED lights:
    Attachment 768846
    It's super refreshing, which is what we all seem to want right after a ride.

    Last night, I kegged a new batch of Pretator Porter. My 7 year old loves the movie Predator, so I had him draw a picture for the label. He spells it "pretator" and wrote out the sound it makes as "cnahcnah". Here's what the label looks like for this one:
    Attachment 768847

    I ordered the Light Fetish labels from Grogtag.com and they turned out awesome. However, since then I have been just making a picture and printing them out four to a page on the laser printer at Kinkos and then applying them to the bottle with milk. It works great, too, and is much much cheaper. I have thought about how much extra work it is for labels, but then again, it is a hobby so I might as well have fun with it.
  • 02-05-2013
    JFryauff
    Very nice!
  • 02-05-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Great job!
    What were your starting and current gravity readings, just out of curiosity?
    How does it taste?

    Started at 1.086 and ended at 1.014 "I think" My buddy is helping me a ton with all the math stuff, but we basically figured out 10.5% abv.

    The flavor is really nice, I used another friends recipe for his Imperial Stout, and modified it slightly. We added 1lb of Honey near the end of boil to increase the amount of fermentable surgers, and also 12oz of Molasses to give it a slightly sweet finish(14gallon boil, 11 Gallons of finished product).

    I am very impressed with the flavor as it stands now, plenty of hop characteristics of an Imperial Stout, with a very slight sweetness on the aftertaste.

    We think the 12oz of Molasses could have an effect on the Hydrometer reading because of the extra sugar left over, have you ever added an adjunct that could throw off the final reading?
  • 02-05-2013
    Notactjack
    What's your latest homebrew?
    I'm getting 9.4% abv. OG - FG x 131 = abv.
  • 02-11-2013
    JFryauff
    Enjoyed a double brew-day this past Saturday.
    Started off with a 10 gallon batch of an all Citra and El Dorado DIPA.

    Hit mash temps perfectly, despite it having just snowed, and being colder than expected.



    Sparging out and dividing up the 1.9 lbs of hops for this brew.



    Second batch was a Berlinerweiss, which is sitting warmly on some Lactobacillus until souring reaches my liking, and will then be further fermented with Saccharomyces.



    Finishing up, and toasting another long, but enjoyable brew-day.

  • 02-11-2013
    Klurejr
    Soaking some bottles in Oxi-Clean to remove the labels so I can fill them up with my first home brew this evening.

  • 02-11-2013
    phartbrinson
    Love the posts! I just finished my last bottle of a Honey Porter brewed by the White House kitchen. Recipe kits are available from Northern Brewer, maybe from some other places, too. I highly recommend it: very smooth and mild, very drinkable even for folks who don't like dark beers. The honey makes it more mellow than sweet.
  • 02-12-2013
    Klurejr
    I had to make a quick stop to pick up a few items before our bottling of the beer last night.



    I had a quick sample of the Dorado DIPA while there....


    Transferring from the Carboy to the bottling bucket, the DME has already been mixed with water and boiled and cooled:



    Check out that deep rich color:


    I have had the name of this beer and the picture for the label in mind for a very long time, Here it is:





    This is a picture I took a few years ago of my buddy Caleb hitting a section of the trail called "Flow" at Mammoth Resort, this section of Flow is technically a Double Black Diamond, but I am saving the "Double" name for when I do a barrel aged version of this beer.

    Next on the list is an Irish/Imperial Red.
  • 02-12-2013
    JFryauff
    Nice work!
    That color looks amazing, super rich and dark.
  • 02-12-2013
    dmboarder
    Good looking brews. The White House Honey Porter recipe really gets better after about 6 weeks. Try to let it age.
  • 02-12-2013
    Klurejr
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Nice work!
    That color looks amazing, super rich and dark.

    Thanks! I was hoping to get a super dark rich color. This recipe still has a nice hop character considering it had such a huge grain bill. It tasted really good right out of the carboy, I cannot wait to try it with some carbonation.
  • 02-24-2013
    Klurejr
    Brewed for my second time yesterday! We made a dark IPA. Our Gravity was 1.066, so we are hoping for about 7.5% abv on the finished product. Here are a few pics:

    First we had something to fuel the process:


    My friend has a grain mill, and my other friend has a hook up with one of the local breweries, so we got a killer deal on a 55lb bag of two row. Milling up all our grains right before we start.


    My artsy shot of the Hot Liquor tank warming up as the sun begins to set:


    And just before boil to give you a good idea of the coloring:


    Combination of Mt. Hood, Magnum, Nelson and Simcoe with a dry hop of the Nelson as well.
  • 02-25-2013
    JFryauff
    Nice work!
    Someone needs to smooth out the rim of that kettle before they lose a finger! ;)
  • 02-25-2013
    JFryauff
    Busy weekend in the brewhouse.
    Racked our American IPA into secondary, with it's first of two dry-hopping schedules.
    Also racked the Berliner into secondary with pineapple juice/pulp, and toasted coconut.
    Both have hit final gravity, and will see kegs in about two weeks for conditioning.

    Brewed 10 gallons of our collaborative Belgian-style Saison as well.





    Indulged a bit in some fine beers during the process as well ;)



    A last but not least, whipped up some homemade beer brats for a post brewday dinner.

  • 02-25-2013
    dmboarder
    Looking tasty. Last week I kind of last minute decided to make something for St Patrick's Day so I made up a 1G batch of an ESB style. I'm sure it'll still be a little green for SPD, but we'll suffer through. I also made a 1G batch of a burnt style mead. I boiled the honey until it got pretty dark and then added some water, a couple of vanilla beans, and a cinnamon stick. I'll bottle it and age for our team Christmas party.
  • 02-25-2013
    Gordon Shumway
    Nice pics Klurejr & JF! I'm still a lazy MF and still have my latest IPA in secondary. I am sure the hops are fading but I just hate bottling that much. Maybe I'll throw some more hops in and bottle it this weekend.
  • 02-25-2013
    Hophead1
    WOW Brewing and bikes. cool. I just kegged up an IPA with chinook and centennial. 1.070.
  • 03-06-2013
    Dry Cownty Brewer
    I just half kegged and half bottled a Bourbon Breakfast Stout, haven't tried it yet.
  • 03-16-2013
    Drewbis1
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 03-22-2013
    Davis61381
    I just bottled my Dogfish Indian Brown Clone on Sunday and I'm headed to the store this afternoon to grab some ingredients for my 3rd batch. Headed for an IPA either a Stone IPA or Dale's Pale Ale Clone.
  • 03-22-2013
    RichardinLA
    What recipe do you use the Indian Brown and how close is it to the beer straight out of tap? It sure is tasty...
  • 03-24-2013
    GelatiCruiser
    Re: What's your latest homebrew?
    Finally! Brewed my first batch in about 5 years yesterday and I can't believe. I've been out of it this long. Brewed a Pale Ale and I'll be brewing the WH Honey Porter next week along with a steam beer... Can't freakin wait!
  • 03-25-2013
    Klurejr
    Awesome! Do you plan to bottle or Keg your beer?

    We are bottling and kegging our Black IPA this evening.
  • 03-25-2013
    square
    brewed an ipa (that will later sit on some apricot puree).

    kegged a rye red ale.
  • 03-25-2013
    GelatiCruiser
    Re: What's your latest homebrew?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Awesome! Do you plan to bottle or Keg your beer?

    We are bottling and kegging our Black IPA this evening.

    I'm stuck on bottling as of ow... I plan getting into kegging once I finish the basement.
  • 03-25-2013
    dmboarder
    Just put a batch of Skeeter Pee in the primary. Getting ready for summer.

    I'm going to bottle it with a mint leaf in each bottle for a mojito type drink. The chicks should love it.
  • 03-31-2013
    ASH[Housewares]
    Russian Imperial Stock in fermenter 1, French saison in fermenter 2, and ESB on deck.
  • 03-31-2013
    Firestem4
    Re: What's your latest homebrew?
    I just bottled my American Hefe yesterday and am now playing the waiting game lol. :-)
    I need to figure out what to brew next!

    Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  • 04-02-2013
    MotherGoose831
    Just Bottled a Blackberry Mead yesterday and racking a Cinnamon Pear Mead this afternoon.
  • 04-02-2013
    trevor_b
    Re: What's your latest homebrew?
    I have an IPA and vanilla porter on tap and nothing fermenting. I just can't drink the beer fast enough so I don't brew as often as I used to.
  • 04-03-2013
    Sherpa41
    Dan's Imperial Bender. Surly (brewing, not bikes) had a special version of their bender (porter) called Moe's Bender for a limited time last year and I've been wanting it real bad. Brewed an imperial porter. Soaked toasted oak and vanilla in bourbon for 2 weeks, then added the bourbon to the secondary fermenter along with some cocoa nibs. It's got a smoky, bourbon-y taste with notes of vanilla and chocolate. A little sweet but not bad I say.
  • 04-07-2013
    JHart94949
    What's your latest homebrew?
    Bottling my New Zealand Rye IPA soon, getting some stockpiled for summer evenings after a nice hard ride!
  • 04-10-2013
    airlocksniffer
    Brewed my first saison last wknd using the new Belle Saison dry yeast from Danstar. More of a table version of saison (OG 1.054). Hopefully she'll finish below 1.005.
  • 04-11-2013
    leonardojones
    Wow, I haven't experienced Black IPA, they said that was great!
  • 04-11-2013
    Stupendous Man
    I just bottled a cream stout, and transferred an Octoberfest brew to lager for a few months. Up next is my own spin on a SNPA clone.
    Time to order more grain.

    To BEER and BIKES!!
  • 04-16-2013
    Klurejr
    [/URL]

    Finally cracked open one of these, they just finished bottle conditioning. The Aroma's from the Nelson Dry Hop are beautiful.
  • 04-19-2013
    Davis61381
    I just found this thread. I just racked my Dechutes Obsidian Stout clone yesterday. Conditioning I have a Stone IPA Clone. In my fridge I have a DogFish Head Indian Brown.

    So far I've only done 4 mini-mash kits. Trying to dial in my technique before I get crazy and start trying to make my own recipes.
  • 04-26-2013
    square
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout tomorrow...

    this will be my second attempt at it, I'll be doubling the PB2 to 2 lbs and adding extract at kegging (if needed)
  • 04-26-2013
    Gordon Shumway
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by square View Post
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout tomorrow...

    this will be my second attempt at it, I'll be doubling the PB2 to 2 lbs and adding extract at kegging (if needed)

    How did the first batch turn out? Sounds tasty!
  • 04-28-2013
    granite_One
    Just finished up my first couple of AG brews a week ago. a Fat Tire clone and SNPA clone. Still getting my equipment constants lined out. Only hit 60% eff on the Fat Tire but 75% on the SNPA with some stirring during the mash
    think i will need to get the LHBS to double crush next time as these two were pretty coarse.
  • 05-13-2013
    JFryauff
    Cold-crashing an American pale-wheat, which uses: wheat, Pilsen, and Marris Otter; along with a healthy hopping of Columbus, Chinook, and Citra.

  • 05-23-2013
    DangerDad
    Always got an IPA and DoppleBock on tap!





    Cheers!
  • 11-24-2013
    Gordon Shumway
    1 Attachment(s)
    Anyone been brewing? I have been lazy myself and more into my big green egg/food... until now. My buddy wants to learn how to brew and picked up an ingredients kit so I am going to show him the ropes using my equip.

    Here is what he got in a sideways pic, Mirror Pond clone.(partial mash):

    Attachment 849543
  • 11-24-2013
    DangerDad

    Always got something brewing....I got two IPA's and two cider's bubbling now.
  • 11-24-2013
    Gordon Shumway
    ^ Nice! I need to get a freezer/keezer setup.
  • 11-24-2013
    DangerDad
    Yep its the best part of my setup. I can keep temps + or - 1 degree of what I set it at...and then I can cold crash/condition my beer. This was a free-be freezer that I just put a ceramic heat emitter on the lid. The pc fans are to keep the colder air from settling at the bottom.