Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I eat cats
    Showed a buddy how to brew yesterday (Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone pictures a few posts above). Didn't get any pics but this one because I was busy the whole time. Just got a text from him saying the airlock is going wild!

He fried his turkey this year so we cleaned the **** out of his pot and used his setup for the boil.

What's your latest homebrew?-image.jpg

Don't look down here...

Beer Please!
    Very cool! We brewed an English Style old Ale last month. It is currently bottle conditioning and should be ready in a few weeks.

My buddy and I wanted to change it up a bit so we went about 10% Rauche Malt for some smokey bacon aroma, and added some maple Syrup for a slight maple sweetness at the back end.

Because my buddy was visiting from Australia we called it "A Bogans Breakfast"

I was happy with the results before bottling, I cannot wait for it to age some and really come into its own.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

What's your latest homebrew?

Bottling my first brew today. It is a Honey Porter and I made a few mistakes. Mainly over boiling and came up short. I'm doing small batch 1 gallon stuff to start until I get the hang of it. Also today I'll be brewing a Chinook IPA. Gonna focus in controlling the boiling temperature more !!! Happy brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Currently have a single hop (Citra) DIPA bottle conditioning along with an Oatmeal Stout and an Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout....

The first 2 will be ready by X-Mas...the ORIS 'might' be ready (fingers crossed)
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My Steam Beer is currently bottle conditioning. I can not wait to try it .
    I made it with a lot of vienna and 2-row, the flavor from the last sample I took before I bottled it was encouraging.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I brewed up a Pliney clone last weekend. It's now in secondary, after only four days in primary. It has another six days in secondary, then I'll bottle it and let it sit for a month.
    I also have a hard cider fermenting. It should be about done.
    I have a keg full of Vanilla Bourbon Stout sitting around. My wife really likes that one, it's a bit too sweet for my likes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just brewed a Belgian Dubbel (Northern Brewer kit) tonight and put the finishing touches on my new Surly Big Dummy

On tap:

ESB
    Dogfish Head Brown ale clone

in secondary: Belgian wheat beer

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Single Hop Citra DIPA is a winner (from my perspective)...will put that one into some local competitions and see if my taste buds are sane or crazy.....

Currently enjoying my ORIS blend (Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout)....surprisingly good.

Have an Amarillo single hop IPA in the queue...along with my first stab at a Belgian Strong Dark Ale (which will take about a year).

My RIS has been bulk conditioning for 3 months...will pop in the oak cubes I've had soaking in port for the last 9 months soon and let it sit for another 4 weeks before a 6 month bottle condition....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Outlaw
    Joe's Duct Tape Label Brewing, Wait of the World - Strong/Old Ale.

Bottled Monday January 6, 2014. Gonna pop the first one this Friday and see how its doing.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    My RIS has been bulk conditioning for 3 months...will pop in the oak cubes I've had soaking in port for the last 9 months soon and let it sit for another 4 weeks before a 6 month bottle condition....
    I want to try this when it is done. Bottle Trade?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Bottling my first brew today. It is a Honey Porter and I made a few mistakes. Mainly over boiling and came up short. I'm doing small batch 1 gallon stuff to start until I get the hang of it. Also today I'll be brewing a Chinook IPA. Gonna focus in controlling the boiling temperature more !!! Happy brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just finished my first 1 gallon batch yesterday! I have been staring at the fermenter for a good chunk of the day watching it bubble.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got a Belgian Trippel sitting in secondary and just bottled a Black ale, simply used grains left over from a Oatmeal stout I made with the addition of 2-row instead of Marris Otter, turned out great. light smokey flavor with a hint of chocolate

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    I just finished my first 1 gallon batch yesterday! I have been staring at the fermenter for a good chunk of the day watching it bubble.
    Haha, just saw this post. The first batch I did was the same, couldn't stop checking on it. How is it coming along?

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Haha, just saw this post. The first batch I did was the same, couldn't stop checking on it. How is it coming along?
    Good, finished bottling it today. Had a slight mishap with the bottle capper, on bottle #2 the capper broke into 4 different pieces. Long story short I had to wait a day to get to a local home-brew shop to get a new one. The batch is probably funky now, but since it was a 1 gallon batch, the beer stayed in the carboy and I just reinstalled the airlock once the capper broke. Restarted the bottling process the next day. So, hoping for the best, but I am assuming it is not going to be too great.

I bought the gear from Northern Brewer, and after a quick email to them they have a new capper and another 1 gallon ingredient kit coming my way for free. Great customer service from those folks!

Not all is lost though, I have a barley wine in another fermenter that will be bottled next week or so, hoping for smooth bottling!

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Latest projects this winter.

Galena, Fuggles, and Spalt (not shown...still puny). 10 days from putting em in soil.

Strong golden ale with WLP570...the east coast "saison" strain with brett B...excited.

Also have a Braggot carbing in keg, and a 1776-style porter ala "Radical Brewing". Planning a jasmine pearl green tea IPA and an electric kettle to upgrade batch size to 10-15 gal comfortably...watching for boilovers on stovetop is getting old.

Too many friends and bike events to go to this year...

mtbr member
    My buddies and I got to enjoy our latest homebrew during the superbowl. It was fantastic.
    Very hoppy/floral aroma Pale Ale that has a nice citrus flavor and finishes with a hoppy bite at the end.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Tasted my Bohemian Lager after the diacetyl rest. It was pretty good, and a high alcohol content for a lager too. ABV 6.8%. That'll give it a kick while you think you're drinking a lighter beer.

Outlaw
    Brewed up Joe's Duct Tape Label Brewing, Totally Tubular Pale Ale, on Feb 6th. Gonna transfer it to a secondary in a few days.

5 Gallon extract

1/5Lb Crystal 40
    5Lbs light DME
    2oz English Golding (boil) Whole Leaf
    1oz English Golding (flavour/aroma) Whole Leaf
    1 vial of White Labs 007 Dry English Ale Yeast
    60 min boil
    O.G. 1.042

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: What's your latest homebrew?

I brewed an Old Ale I put together for a blending project I'm participating in with a local homebrew club. We each brew an ale in a given style. (Style and target gravity is specified.) We each contribute 1 gallon after fermentation, blend it, bottle it, and share it. Looking forward to the results of this one.

Oaked for a couple weeks in the secondary, so it'll only have hints of oak. Used a can of Lyle's Black Treacle in the boil as well.

Probably going to brew a Wee Heavy next for another blend.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Knolliac
    Imperial Rye IPA. Dry hopping now, bottling on the 22nd. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm taking a break from building up my commuter/mtb and kegging my lager.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Got an oatmeal stout hanging out in the primary right now. I did something a little different and added a little brown sugar, and honey to the boil.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    At the moment...

Kegged/On Tap:
    Chocolate-coffee stout
    Chocolate-coffee stout with; lactose, guajillo chilies, cardamom, vanilla bean
    Tequila barrel-aged RIS
    American pale ale (Nugget, Amarillo, Simcoe, El Dorado)

Fermenting:
    Kolsch
    Weizenbock
    English Mild

Brewing a double batch of Saison this weekend, and experimenting with two new farmhouse strains for fermentation.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    At the moment...

Kegged/On Tap:
    Chocolate-coffee stout
    Chocolate-coffee stout with; lactose, guajillo chilies, cardamom, vanilla bean
    Tequila barrel-aged RIS
    American pale ale (Nugget, Amarillo, Simcoe, El Dorado)

Fermenting:
    Kolsch
    Weizenbock
    English Mild

Brewing a double batch of Saison this weekend, and experimenting with two new farmhouse strains for fermentation.
    doing a javahead inspired coffee stout this weekend. care to share your choc/coffee stout recipe?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    doing a javahead inspired coffee stout this weekend. care to share your choc/coffee stout recipe?
    Happy to...

This was actually brewed in conjunction with Counter Culture Coffee for their annual corporate meeting held down in Raleigh, NC. The coffee used was a specific small batch from Ethiopia, which is a fairly delicate roast, with dark berry flavors/aromas. The reason I say all this, is that I built the recipe around the coffee profile, so even though it's a fairly robust stout...the coffee-chocolate flavors/aromas from the malt base is low, as to not over power the adjunct flavors. I would suggest using a Sumatra or Kona coffee blend, to get full flavors required for a Java Head clone.

6Gallon
    60min mash @ 151 (single infusion)/mash out at 170
    90min Boil
    WY 1056
    8-8.5% ABV

73% 2-Row
    9.5% Flaked Oat
    4.5% Biscuit
    4.5% Crystal 80L
    2.5% Black Patent
    2.5% Chocolate Malt
    .5% Crystal 120L
    .5% Special B

1.15oz Nugget First Wort
    .75oz Columbus 60min
    .35oz Nugget 60min
    .75 oz Cascade 30min
    .75oz Columbus 10min

1oz Cocoa Nobs KO/Whirlpool
    2oz Coffee (rough grind) KO/Whirlpool

O.G. 1.075-1.080
    F.G. 1.011-1.016

Secondary @ +/- 7 days (assuming target gravity is achieved) on 2oz cocoa nibs.
    Aged on nibs +/- 14 days.

At kegging/bottling, add 50g cold-pressed coffee (2g coffee to 1oz H2O ratio, 24 hour cold-press), and 2oz lactose sugar.

Carb to 2.0-2.2 CO2/volume.

If you have any questions as to the specifics of any of the steps, let me know.
    Cheers!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast