Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What's your latest homebrew?

Sorry not quite, liquidized with hot water and added pectinase, let sit for a day and then into the boil
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Going to brew a couple beers this coming weekend. These might be the last beers we brew before packing up and moving this summer.

1. Hatch chili chocolate porter- I've been wanting to do something with chiles for awhile and after looking at some recipes online decided to go with a northern brewing kit that has some chocolate and coffee tones to it. I was thinking about adding just a hint of chocolate powder (maybe an ounce) at burnout. My plan was to add 2 oz of dried hatch chiles for 5 days in the secondary.

2. An assertive or double IPA. We were thinking about just ordering a kit. Maybe heady topper or pliny the elder clone? Haven't decided yet, but we have a gift certificate to burn up. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Where do you get the Burnt Figs from? Are you putting them in at end of boil or dry hopping with them, or just adding to the keg?
    another great way for additions is in the mash too! We do it all the time at work.

mtbr member
    Still haven't home-brewed in a while... but i drank a friends homebrew last night. I am actually glad he just dropped it off rather than drinking it with me. It was awful. Straight up, I RARELY pour a beer down the drain but i couldn't get past 2 sips. Huge amounts of Dimethyl Sulfide. Between that and a weird heavy onion hop flavor(the only hop flavor) it was an easy candidate for being poured down the drain... Sad but true.

mtbr member
    Yikes. Good that he wasn't there to see the look on your face, but you've gotta give him some fairly honest [but carefully worded!] feedback!

I did two brews last weekend on my new Grainfather and they both went flawlessly! Best investment I've made, so much easier than mucking around with BIAB etc. The coffee/choc milk stout I mentioned on the last page turned out bang on, and the Russian River R2H56 bastard [same grain, different hops as there's no Simcoe in NZ at the moment] was just a couple of points under target OG. Both smelled and looked fantastic.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    another great way for additions is in the mash too! We do it all the time at work.
    Helms Brewery does that for their Beeracino, they put the Grounds in with the Mash. That is a pretty good Coffee Beer too.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    I was nearly going to do that with my stout but someone suggested the hour boil would increase the bitterness and boil off some of the aromatics from the coffee. The initial fermentation is over now so I'm going to have to make up my mind soon, I think I might just use regular espresso as it taste like it could use a little more bitterness when I tasted the OG sample

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I was nearly going to do that with my stout but someone suggested the hour boil would increase the bitterness and boil off some of the aromatics from the coffee. The initial fermentation is over now so I'm going to have to make up my mind soon, I think I might just use regular espresso as it taste like it could use a little more bitterness when I tasted the OG sample
    That is what I was thinking, but the beer is good and the coffee aroma and flavor are there.

Land of the 230+
    More beer has 10% off today with coupon code FULLSITE10

Theyre not my favoritie kits, compared to midwest or northern, but if you need bulk grain, hops, or equipment, theyre priced quite well. Free ship over 59 bucks, excluding 55 lb sacks.

I just picked up 40 lbs milled 2 row, 5 lbs of dextrose and 8 Hop Rhizomes (two of each C hop) for $85 shipped.

mtbr member
    Brewing an IIPA on friday. Keeping it simple, 28# 2 row, 2 # munich malt, 2# c40 and a few handfuls of rice hulls as my 2 row is virtually powder. Keeping it around 8% abv using Magnums for bitter, citra/simcoe at 15min, knockout, and dry hop.
    Last edited by mrmattjohnson; 03-12-2015 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    What's your latest homebrew?-20150313_084701.jpg
    Brewing my IIPA right now... mashing away at 151

mtbr member
    Brewing an IIPA on friday. Keeping it simple
    Sometimes simple is best. Haven't tried Citra and Simcoe together, but hard to imagine it wouldn't be awesome! What sort of ratio are you using them in?

mtbr member
    Sometimes simple is best. Haven't tried Citra and Simcoe together, but hard to imagine it wouldn't be awesome! What sort of ratio are you using them in?
    i do a 50/50 blend at 15min, knockout and dryhop

Land of the 230+
    Tomorrow I'm gonna brew my 3rd and 4th ever all grain batches.

Here's what I have for recipes so far:

Amber IPA 1.076 SG, 82 IBU, 9.3 SRM, ~7.3 ABV
    12 lb 2 row
    1 lb Munich
    1 lb Caramel 20L
    .5 lb Caramel 60L
    1.5 oz Bravo @60
    .5 oz Cascade @15, @10, @5, @0
    .5 oz Willamette @15, @10, @5, @0
    US-05

Celebrate IPA 1.072 SG, 73 IBU, 8.0 SRM, ~7.0 ABV
    12 lb 2 row
    1 lb CaraPils
    1 lb Caramel 40L
    1 oz Chinook @60
    2 oz Cascade @30
    1 oz Cascade @5
    1 oz Columbus @5
    US-05

Amber IPA is a continuation / refinement of the bits and pieces I liked form my last two IPA recipes. Bittering with bravo only, no chinook. No 30 minute addition. Flavoring and aroma hops will be 50%50% cascade and willamette, continually hopped the last 15 minutes.

Celebrate IPA is very loosely modeled after Sierras celebration ale, substituting columbus for centennial, and adjusting the hop schedule. Adding hops at flameout instead of a dryhop.

Ill probably do an extract kit at the same time, since I still have a dozen of so, and I have room on the stove for all three 8 gallon kettles.

mtbr member
    i do a 50/50 blend at 15min, knockout and dryhop
    Sounds good, will have to try it some time, if I can ever get my hands on some Simcoe!

mtbr member
    Sounds good, will have to try it some time, if I can ever get my hands on some Simcoe!
    i never really realized Simcoe was super limited. I just get them free from work

mtbr member
    You lucky bugger. Only limited quantities seem to make it to this side of the world, and it's so popular it always sells quickly, which means people to hoard it, which means it sells even faster! Luckily our local hops aren't so bad, I just did an IPA with Riwaka, NZ Cascade and Amarillo and it was brilliant.

It's Stone you work for, eh?

mtbr member
    yep, my kegerator flows a plentiful of IPAs

mtbr member
    Just kegged a "clone" of Russian Rivers R2H56 brewed with a 2:1 mix of Citra and Amarillo (Citra only at 90 & 30min), smells that damn good I'm gonna force-carb it so I can have one when I get home from work tomorrow!! I love the really light malt base of this beer, will certainly brew it again true-to-form as soon as I can get some Simcoe. Might just become my go-to malt profile for experimenting with different hop combos...

mtbr member
    Think I might have hit a winner this time around. Brewed up what I am calling WHOA - Wee Heavy Oak Ale.

I effectively did a Wee Heavy around 7.4%, after 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, I added 2oz of Oak chips soaked in Bullit.

After about 5 days, moved it to another secondary with 10oz of Bullit and let it cold crash for a week.

Holy cow! It starts out with a hint of bourbon, quickly into a buttery smooth Scotch type ale, lead outs with a hint if sweet malt and finishes with a near coconut, vanilla, oak flavor. Only drink 1 full pint though, sucker is strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I did two brews last weekend on my new Grainfather .

Keep in mind I am relatively new to home brewing, but I have seen the grainfather in a magazine. What are your thoughts on this wonderful looking piece of equipment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgrin View Post
    Keep in mind I am relatively new to home brewing, but I have seen the grainfather in a magazine. What are your thoughts on this wonderful looking piece of equipment?
    Personally, after two brews I think it is brilliant! A great way to simplify All-Grain brewing and produce great beer without needing stacks and stacks of equipment. But don't take my word for it, check out the Grainfather Users Group on Facebook, where you'll get similar responses from newbies just starting out and experienced brewers who are looking to simplify their brew day alike.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557...04380/?fref=nf

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bottled a west coast amber on Tuesday that tasted great.

since 4/10/2009
    Doing my first beer today - a chocolate porter.

I've done a couple meads so far that have turned out well (one took 5 years of aging before it was any good at all).

I've been wanting to try beer, so I picked up a kit from the local homebrew supply shop. They build out their kits in-house, and I have several friends who have had really solid results with them.

I have the absolute minimum kit already, so I'm giving it a go. If it goes well and I like the results as much as the mead, I'll probably pick up a propane burner and a big brew kettle, as well as a wort chiller to help the process along.

The so far the ingredients for the beer have cost me half as much (maybe 1/3 as much) as the supplies for my last batch of mead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So when (you will) you get that kettle, you'll never regret going bigger. I got a 10 gallon so that I could do full boils and BIAB and I wish I would have got a 15 gallon instead. And just make your chiller.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    So when (you will) you get that kettle, you'll never regret going bigger. I got a 10 gallon so that I could do full boils and BIAB and I wish I would have got a 15 gallon instead. And just make your chiller.
    maybe I should get a bigger brew kettle. Right now I have a couple of 6.5gal fermenter buckets, but I'd like to get a fancier primary fermenter that makes it easier to separate product from the sediment. If I start to go bigger, though, I'll need to put a little more into a siphon setup, to move the wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter.

mtbr member
    So only my second post here, and just got a fatbike that I've been riding the piss out of, but have been homebrewing for 19 yrs. Right now on tap: IPL, Imperial Pils, RIS, Oktoberfest (still lagering), Hefe, Scottish 60, IPA, English Cider, Schwarzbier and English Mild.

Pic of the brew rig (v3.0):

What's your latest homebrew?-img_0002.jpg

Cheers all!

mtbr member
    Anyone got any experience with English IPAs? I love drinking them, never brewed one before, how does this look? Not sure about the ratio of Challenger to EKG, I know it can be a bit over-powering. Also wondering if I should drop the dry-hop and bump up the FO additions?

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
    Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
    Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
    Bitterness: 35.9 IBUs
    Est Color: 9.6 SRM

Ingredients
    4.80 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.7 %
    0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
    0.19 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
    0.16 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.5 IBUs
    25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 11.2 IBUs
    20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
    8.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 2.3 IBUs
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 9 3.2 IBUs
    10.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Burton Union Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M79) Yeast 11 -
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
    10.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

mtbr member
    I've been a big fan of dropping the early hop additions in favor of late-only. Especially for a style like EIPA, where a bit of softness can go a long way, I would consider modifying your hop additions to keep the IBUs between what you have and maybe 40, but doing all of the hops at once at T-20 minutes. You will not be lacking in hop flavor. You'll need to add more volume, but you'll more than make up for it with the lack of sharpness that late-hop bursts like these give. I have an IPL on tap now where I did that and the late-only hops really help the lager flavor come out in the front and not be killed by bitterness. Just my .02. Your malt bill looks spot on.

mtbr member
    Cheers, the grain bill should be good, gold medal worthy in fact, I got it from here; Home Brew Forums - View Single Post - Anyone brewed an IPA with EKG ?

I'd like to keep this one pretty well balanced, and I'm a little concerned that the hops would completely over-ride the malt if I did only 20min or less additions with the amount that would be required to get it up to 40IBU. I'll have a loot at it and might reduce the 60 and up the 30 and 10min additions though.

Less yap more braaap
    The last 4 batches I've made have been IPA's. I'm switching it up this time though, I'm making a malty ale using a fairly high yield yeast (supposed to live at up to 12%) with 1.3 Kg of sugar/fermentables. My next I think might be a Flanders red ale or maybe something in the Japanese style (except I use LME's due to a lack of a large pot to do all grain brewing so I'd need to figure a way to introduce the rice flavoring into the beer).

mtbr member
    baltobrewer (or anyone else!), speaking of late hops, I'm just working out a "use up the left-overs" session IPA. After what's listed below, I've got 35g Columbus, 85g Cascade and 60g Amarillo left. Any suggestions/improvements?

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
    Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
    Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
    Bitterness: 44.4 IBUs
    Est Color: 6.5 SRM

3.00 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 62.0 %
    1.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 24.8 %
    0.60 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.4 %
    0.04 kg Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.8 %
    28.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 22.5 IBUs
    28.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
    28.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
    40.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 8 2.2 IBUs
    40.00 g Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 9 3.7 IBUs
    40.00 g Simcoe [12.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 10 3.2 IBUs
    20.00 g Riwaka [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 11 1.3 IBUs
    1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M07) Yeast 12 -
    30.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Riwaka [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

mtbr member
    Wondering why the Acidulated malt? Don't think that's going to do anything nor really be noticeable at that volume considering the hop bill. I'd leave it out, and also probably switch the vienna and pale around (volume-wise), unless this is a true kitchen sink where you're just clearing out stock. You will certainly have a grapefruit bomb with that hop bill. Any more hops and you're just adding them to add them. How long are you planning to steep/whirlpool? You have 3 mins and 5 mins, assuming those are just t-minus times? Steeping for any less than about 15-20 minutes won't isomerize any of the aromatics.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've found that with my set up, or maybe just my palate, beersmith over estimates the IBUs from the long hop steep if I enter in the actual time. I usually start circulating thru my counterflow chiller at the end of the boil with no water flowing and the temp drops to the mid 90s, where I leave it for 20-30 minutes before starting the water to chill the wort.

As for the hops, grapefruit bomb is good in this case, but I was wondering if the Columbus would add a bit more 'dank' (what ever that is) if I added them perhaps instead of the Riwaka or Citra.

The grains are set as I've already ordered them, the acid malt was a last minute thing which in hindsight isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Columbus to me adds more resinous pine-tar rather than dank. Simcoe to me is the dank hop standout of your bunch. If you want dank, bump that up in the boil schedule. When I did the BJCP, we used Simcoe as the flavor identifier for that. I personally don't like dank, reminds me of cat pee. I use ProMash (i know, crappy but I've had it forever and it's tuned to my system), so I can't comment on BeerSmith, though I have heard good things about it. You whirlpool technique is spot on. Brew on, my man.

mtbr member
    Cheers, brew day went off without a hitch and it smells great going into the fermenter. Two points above the target OG, hope it finishes fairly high to retain some body and so it isn't too boozy. Next up; Rye Barley Wine....

mtbr member
    Sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Just kegged the English IPA I mentioned a few posts back and was blown away by the colour and clarity when I took the FG sample. Didn't even bother cold crashing it!

What's your latest homebrew?-eipa.jpg

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have been on a roll..

We have had some seriously bad weather in Colorado the last month so I took time to build up my stockpile of beer.

In the last month I have brewed a Farmhouse, Belgian Triple IPA, Belgian Oak Aged Quad, White IPA and a German Alt. I have a Heady Topper clone to brew this week.

Farmhouse and Belgian Triple just went into kegerator, tasting good, but not fully carbed yet.. Quad and German Alt will age until Fall, in secondary now. White IPA will go on tap next..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Wow, I came here to learn more about biking and I find a home brew thread, I think I am going to like this place.

mtbr member
    Just kegged the English IPA I mentioned a few posts back and was blown away by the colour and clarity when I took the FG sample. Didn't even bother cold crashing it!
    Looks great out of the fermenter. British ale yeasts are known for floccing like wet cement, but that is still very impressive. How's the taste/aroma?

mtbr member
    Good, I think, don't think it needs or wants to be consumed fresh like a US-IPA, I'll give it a few weeks to carb up and mellow a little. That was the first time I've used one of the Mangrove Jacks yeasts, M79 Burton Union, pretty impressed with how it went.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just dry hopped 20 gallons of a IIPA with a mix of Amarillo, cascade, centennial, and Chinook. Last keg of this only lasted 8 hours at the store I run. Hopefully I can get a full weekend out of this.

mtbr member
    Bottle conditioning a Saison at the moment. Next up, finally jumping into all grain (in a bag) with a small batch single malt, single hop experiment!

mtbr member
    I did an experimental batch last night. Trying to get a Red Vienna Lager! Looked to have a slight reddish tinge to it in the boil kettle. Hopefully it turns out ok.

mtbr member
    no homebrew on right now unfortunately. Empty conical makes me sad. However i am in the process of moving so i have to wait a few weeks to brew.
    Atleast in the meantime my kegerator has Stone Delicious IPA on draft...

Brewed an experimental pale yesterday. Did a base malt of Golden Promise and some Caramel Pils and Caramel 15 for color and flavor. Boil Hopped with Cascade, not sure if i will Dry hop it or not. Trying to make a low ABV Caramel Pale. Malt Forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Bottle conditioning a Saison at the moment. Next up, finally jumping into all grain (in a bag) with a small batch single malt, single hop experiment!
    Good on ya. Once you go all grain you will never look back. Brew some of the same recipes that you brewed extract (assuming you did extract and not partial grain) and wait for it. You'll be blown away by the increase in depth of flavor. It took me about 3 years to go all grain (that was in the late 90's and we didn't have as much access to good stuff back then), but I was amazed at what happened when I took extract out of the equation. Kind of like comparing fresh squeezed OJ to concentrate.

BTW just took a Saison out of primary. Didn't finish as low as I wanted, only got down to 1.010, but it's got plenty of flavor. 7 out of 10. Belgian yeast do what they want.

mtbr member
    Clone of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout on the boil now, never tried the beer before but it seemed like a good place to start for my first oatmeal stout. Smells like a chocolate covered grapefruit at the moment, yum!

What's your latest homebrew?-stout.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ Are you running an electric kettle there? Looks like a grainfather. Those things are pretty cool if so. I'm all electric on my rig and woudn't go back to gas for love or money.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast