Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    orthonormal
    I ferment grapes instead of barley. Right now, I have a 60 gallon barrel of 2013 Syrah aging in my garage. Local fruit from a grower in Carmel Valley, CA. It takes about 1/2 ton to make one barrel. I'll bottle some time between Oct. 2014 and Mar. 2015, depending on taste and start consuming 12-18 months after that.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donny70 View Post
    Rye IPA with Amarillo and Simcoe
    Brewed a black IPA last night and a fat tire clone next weekend.

Trying to get my hands on some Denny's 50 yeast for a rye IPA.

Plays with tools
    I'm brewing my jalapeno beer right now. Only beer I brew that I don't like, but my friends sure do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What's your latest homebrew?

If anyone is looking for label ideas or just want to show off their creations, I've created a Facebook group for just that. Hope to see you there

www.facebook.com/groups/craftbrewlabels/
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

banned
    Sep 2012
    If anyone is looking for label ideas or just want to show off their creations, I've created a Facebook group for just that. Hope to see you there

I don't do Facebook so if you'd like to post up some labels on here please do so!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

This is a set of 3 I did

My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^ Very cool... Clean and simple but not too plain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

If anyone is interested I'm still building this up.
    www.facebook.com/groups/craftbrewlabels

My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    nothing fermenting at the moment, though i kegged off an Russian Imperial Stout a few weeks back. Wife's request so i brewed my award winning RIS, then added coffee, nibs and vanilla. Its delicious but dangerous. 10.35% abv. Not a huge fan of when you go too crazy with the abv because then it can get meaty and really boozy...

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thinking about doing a hard cider. Haven't ever made one, but locally made cider is less than $5/gal right now, so that's only ~$30 with yeast. Might not even boil it since it's already homogenized, just dump it in a carboy, add some yeast, and let it eat.

mtbr member
    On your first one go simple but then on your second one you can add specialty ingredients before pitching your yeast. Like boiling some cinnamin stix and sugar, or boil some raspberries and sugar to add a little color and fruity flavor. Kind of play with things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Thinking about doing a hard cider. Haven't ever made one, but locally made cider is less than $5/gal right now, so that's only ~$30 with yeast. Might not even boil it since it's already homogenized, just dump it in a carboy, add some yeast, and let it eat.

Beer Please! SuperModerator

Cool Idea. I joined the group.

Since I started brewing a few years ago I decided to make my own labels, especially because I Bottle my beer still. They make nice gifts. Here are the Labels and brews in the order I have made them. I also brewed a Lager this summer, but it was over-carbonated, and I did not want to make up labels for a bunch of 12oz bottles. I went with the smaller bottles because it was for my wife, an attempt at Sierra nevada Summerfest Clone that is not my best beer.

I am also going to rack and dry hop a Mosaic DIPA tomorrow but do not have a name or label idea for that one yet.

This was a double batch. I Dry Hopped half of it with Centenial and the other Half with a Cinnamon stick, so the labels just have one little difference in them.

One of my favorite beers so far:

On the bottle:
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    i've always been too lazy to bottle homebrew... when i bottled, i just initialed the crowns. Now i keg only and pass out growlers...

mtbr member
    I hate the bottling too, going to get set up for kegging some time in the not too distant future. Currently have a Rye-IIPA in the fermenter, with a massive load of Centennial and Chinook hops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I hate the bottling too, going to get set up for kegging some time in the not too distant future. Currently have a Rye-IIPA in the fermenter, with a massive load of Centennial and Chinook hops.
    Go to kegs and you will not go back, it is incredibly easy to still bottle off of your kegs, and you only have to clean and save the amount you want to pass out.

*Edit* per thread title: Cream Ale (carbing), Amber (conditioning, 1/2 the batch will get pumpkin spice 'dry hop' for my wife and friends), and barley wine (conditioning, 8 months out).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuryan View Post
    Go to kegs and you will not go back, it is incredibly easy to still bottle off of your kegs, and you only have to clean and save the amount you want to pass out.
    Trust me, I don't need any more convincing, just a little more money...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My brew fridge. Everyone gets a label. 2 commercial brews on the floor

Currently drinking my wai-iti 60 minute IPA bittered with Magnum and then wai-iti @ 10g per litre every 10mins and then dry hopped twice over the course of a week.

My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Brewing an employee brew competition at work tomorrow. 479#s of grain milled and ready to go for tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Rye IPA this weekend... also thinking about doing a graff...anyone try one of those?

mtbr member
    Ive heard of Graffs but never actually tried it. Could be an interesting cider brew.

mtbr member
    I've got a few things going.

-This weekend I'm brewing an experimental hop IPA; ~110 CIBUs and should have a Chocolate Caramel mixed with Peachy-Orange Guava flavor and aroma. Features Otto Supreme and Chocolate hops.

-On tap I've got a Peach Berliner Weisse and a Hazelnut Coffee Imperial Brown Ale.

-Aging I have some of that Hazelnut Coffee Imperial Brown Ale on virgin Sugar Maple.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Just bottled a Black IPA, Currently fermenting an Imperial Red, Aging a Trippel and drinking a Pliny Clone.

I just ordered a sour kit (mostly for my wife, I don't care much for it), but that will take at least a year.

Going to buy a 2 keg system tomorrow hopefully....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Just bottled a Black IPA, Currently fermenting an Imperial Red, Aging a Trippel and drinking a Pliny Clone.

I just ordered a sour kit (mostly for my wife, I don't care much for it), but that will take at least a year.

Going to buy a 2 keg system tomorrow hopefully....
    You'll love the kegging system it makes this SO much easier.

You should try to make a Berliner Weisse. It's a sour, that you can get VERY sour, very quickly (it sours in ~ a week and then you ferment it).

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickkyGangsta View Post
    You'll love the kegging system it makes this SO much easier.

You should try to make a Berliner Weisse. It's a sour, that you can get VERY sour, very quickly (it sours in ~ a week and then you ferment it).
    thanks for the tip..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    2 most important things to brewing beer is sanitation and controlled fermentation temps.

mtbr member
    Apple cider fermenting right now, plan to distribute for Christmas presents to my coworkers. Planning on jumping into all grain after the new year!

Land of the 230+
    I did three 5 gal batches two weekends ago. A "Columbus IPA" from more beer, "Hop Cult" from Midwest, and then a DME "Pliny the Elder" clone from ingredients. Going to keg the columbus ipa this saturday I hope. The Hop Cult and Pliny will mellow in their secondaries another couple weeks before dry hopping.

mtbr member
    Imperial Rye IPA, loads of Chinook, Centennial and Riwaka, 8.5% ABV, best beer I've brewed by a mile!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Belgian IPA using wlp 570. 7.5%. 55ibu. Mosaic Amarillo and simcoe. Also going to dry hop and cool condition for 3 weeks.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Saison using 3724.. Had to rush it a bit to get ready for Thangsgiving, kept fermenting temps in the high 80's.. Came out great, even better than I anticipated. I put about 1.5 gallons in bottles to see how it ages, but the rest got kegged and is probably almost gone..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Saison using 3724.. Had to rush it a bit to get ready for Thangsgiving, kept fermenting temps in the high 80's.. Came out great, even better than I anticipated. I put about 1.5 gallons in bottles to see how it ages, but the rest got kegged and is probably almost gone..
    Just did the same but now with cherries and cocoa nibs in secondary.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Land of the 230+
    Just emptied the secondaries of a Spiced winter ale from northern, and Happy holiday ale from midwest. Still mellowing, we have midwest's winter ale, and northern's winter warmer. Shortly after the holidays, I plan on my first foray into all grain, with the brew-in-a-bag method. I also picked up two more brew kettles so I can work on three batches concurrently.

mtbr member
    5g of mead, plain on the left, w/oranges on the right. Ready to bottle, might rack them first and let sit for a while before bottling.

mtbr member
    I've got a 5 gallon batch of my standard house IPA going. I'm going to do a nut brown over the weekend and hopefully a coffee stout after that. Gotta keep the pipeline moving!

I got a nice 3/8"x50' stainless chiller and weldless valve for my kettle for christmas. I also wired up a temperature controller for the fermentation fridge. So now I can fill my kettle, crush my grains, mash, boil, chill, transfer, and ferment all in the comfort of my garage and the only time I have to muscle anything around is when moving the primary bucket into the fermentation fridge. Very happy with the system. Doing BIAB .

how do you plan to get the coffee in the beer? I made a coffee porter last year and I crushed about 4-5oz of beans and put them in a hop bag and let them steep in the beer after I pulled it off the yeast for about 6 days.

mtbr member
    How did that turn out?

This will be my first coffee brew. Also, I doubt I'll specifically buy Sumatran coffee. Most likely use whatever whole bean we have from costco, my wife likes some organic whatever coffee from there and she usually does the shopping. Here is the recipe I'm planning on using and was going to follow their method:

9 lb 2-row
    1 lb DME (substitute out 2-row as necessary)
    22 oz. flaked oats
    1.0 lb. crisp chocolate malt (412 L)
    12 oz. Briess roast barley malt (300 L)
    9 oz. debittered, black malt (550 L)
    7 oz. crystal malt (120 L)

2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
    2.0 oz. (57 g) ground Sumatran coffee
    2.5 oz. (71 g) chocolate chips
    2 oz. (57 g) unsweetened chocolate baking nibs

1 oz Nugget pellet hops (60 min.)
    1 oz Willamette pellet hops (30 min.)
    1 oz Willamette pellet hops (0 min.)
    1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes)

4 oz (113 g) of corn sugar for priming

Mash at 148 for 60 min at 1.25 qt/lb
    Add 2 oz coffee and chocolate at flameout, in bag

At bottling/kegging, dissolve priming sugar in 2 oz coffee steeped in 1 qt of water in French press

EDIT: Give credit where credit is due. Here's where I pulled the recipe from.

All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner) - Home Brew Forums

Are you not on an All Grain setup? I see you have some DME in there as well...

Also be careful of the boil temp when you add coffee at Flame out, boiling the grounds will cause major acid and bitterness. I think the temp for brewing coffee should be between 130-150 Fahrenheit.

I have also heard that a lighter roast will contribute more aroma and flavors and a darker roast has more of a chance to impart bitterness. I used a Nicaraguan blend light roast. The Aroma is very strong and the coffee is just right for my pallet, but I have found it needs to be served cold, when it warms up I do not like how the flavor changes, that might be different with a Stout though.

mtbr member
    Yeah I am doing AG. I copied the recipe verbatim and for whatever reason the guy who posted the recipe put that random 1# of DME in there. It'll be subbed for 2-row.

Thanks for the info on the coffee, something to think about. You never added any of the coffee to the hot wort? You basically just "dry hopped" with it? Did you sanitize the hop bag, put the crushed coffee in the hop bag and chuck it into the fermenter? I'm sure at that point the alcohol is enough to not worry about any nasties in/on the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Yeah I am doing AG. I copied the recipe verbatim and for whatever reason the guy who posted the recipe put that random 1# of DME in there. It'll be subbed for 2-row.

Thanks for the info on the coffee, something to think about. You never added any of the coffee to the hot wort? You basically just "dry hopped" with it? Did you sanitize the hop bag, put the crushed coffee in the hop bag and chuck it into the fermenter? I'm sure at that point the alcohol is enough to not worry about any nasties in/on the coffee.
    No Sanitation, as you said it was the same process as "dry hopping" which we always do without sanitizing, the alcohol in the beer should be enough to keep it bug free at that point.

Land of the 230+
    Hey, since theres a couple of AG guys here, do you mind if I run a recipe by you?

Ive been brewing extract for a few years, and at any given time I have about 3 batches fermenting, and occasionally as many as 6 concurrently. I plan on making my foray into AG next brew day. I was going to do BIAB, but have since purchased two 52 qt coolers and necessary parts for to convert to braided stainless hose mash tuns.

I primarily like american IPAs, somewhat sweet, with a floral piney grapefruit character, more so than an orange citrus note.

This is a recipe loosely based off a combination of some extract kits ive enjoyed in the past, tweaked for some characteristics I think I might enjoy, and also considering the ingredients I happen to have on hand. I was wondering if you could take a look and let me know your thoughts:

10 Lbs 2 row pale
    1 lb crystal 20L
    .5 lb crystal 60L
    .5 lb aromatic
    .5 lb corn sugar (boil)

1oz bravo - 60 mins
    1oz chinook - 30 mins
    1oz cascade - 15 min
    1oz cascade - 5 min

Beersmith estimates an OG of 1.067, 89 IBUs and 9.3 SRM. The corn sugar is added to the boil to help dry it out, considering the pound and a half of crystal. I like the sweetness of the crystal, but I'm hoping its not so much that it becomes a red IPA. Is the 20L/60L split too high in color? Also this will be my first time working with bravo hops. Will it blend well with the chinook mid way through the boil? or should I stick with all the same type of bittering hop? I plan on using my typical starter, which is roughly 4oz DME and safeale US-05.

Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Hey, since theres a couple of AG guys here, do you mind if I run a recipe by you?

Ive been brewing extract for a few years, and at any given time I have about 3 batches fermenting, and occasionally as many as 6 concurrently. I plan on making my foray into AG next brew day. I was going to do BIAB, but have since purchased two 52 qt coolers and necessary parts for to convert to braided stainless hose mash tuns.

I primarily like american IPAs, somewhat sweet, with a floral piney grapefruit character, more so than an orange citrus note.

This is a recipe loosely based off a combination of some extract kits ive enjoyed in the past, tweaked for some characteristics I think I might enjoy, and also considering the ingredients I happen to have on hand. I was wondering if you could take a look and let me know your thoughts:

10 Lbs 2 row pale
    1 lb crystal 20L
    .5 lb crystal 60L
    .5 lb aromatic
    .5 lb corn sugar (boil)

1oz bravo - 60 mins
    1oz chinook - 30 mins
    1oz cascade - 15 min
    1oz cascade - 5 min

Beersmith estimates an OG of 1.067, 89 IBUs and 9.3 SRM. The corn sugar is added to the boil to help dry it out, considering the pound and a half of crystal. I like the sweetness of the crystal, but I'm hoping its not so much that it becomes a red IPA. Is the 20L/60L split too high in color? Also this will be my first time working with bravo hops. Will it blend well with the chinook mid way through the boil? or should I stick with all the same type of bittering hop? I plan on using my typical starter, which is roughly 4oz DME and safeale US-05.

Thanks for any advice.
    Are you planning on dry hopping this batch?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH[Housewares] View Post
    Are you planning on dry hopping this batch?
    To be honest, I've yet to find a dryhopped batch I really enjoy. Although maybe it would do well to let it sit and condition for a while. I usually keg, or store uncarbonated in growlers, and force carbonate on demand. I did remember enjoying my PTE clone more after the last gallon had sat on a shelf for a month or two, and that was heavily dry hopped. Still didn't taste anything like the real Pliny though.

But to answer your question, no, I hadn't planned on dry hopping this batch.

mtbr member
    The last few years I've missed the boat, but this year I'm determined to have at least a couple of different dark beers bottled early enough to give them a few months before winter comes!
    Brewing this tomorrow; Milk Chocolate Stout | Bertus Brewery
    Quite keen to add some coffee to it, either do a cold steep and add to secondary, or just rack the beer straight onto the ground coffee?

I did a cold steep for 6 days, used about 4-5oz of crushed beans for 5 gallons. Tons of aroma and good coffee flavors throughout. was a 7% porter.

mtbr member
    Cheers! All going well so far, first brew on the new kit...
    What's your latest homebrew?-brew.jpg

I want to be doing what your dog is doing right now. That looks glorious!

mtbr member
    Yeah typical Northland weather though, it's now clouded over and the umbrella is on standby in case we get a shower!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Double rye, oatmeal and burnt fig brown ale with williamette, styrian goldings and dry hopped with Nelson
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Double rye, oatmeal and burnt fig brown ale with williamette, styrian goldings and dry hopped with Nelson
    Where do you get the Burnt Figs from? Are you putting them in at end of boil or dry hopping with them, or just adding to the keg?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Where do you get the Burnt Figs from? Are you putting them in at end of boil or dry hopping with them, or just adding to the keg?
    Burnt the figs on a wok until they had a nice dark caramel bitterness then into the boil.
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast