Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    ...so I want to start kegging my homebrews. I already have a kegerator that fits a 15gal barrel so I am set there. Now I just need to find a couple of soda kegs and research how to get it all setup etc. The dude at a local shop laughed at me when I asked if he had any used ones so I guess I'll start my internet hunt. My Blind Pig clone I brewed in December is ready for bottling (2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in secondary after dry hopping) so I guess I'll bottle it rather than waiting. I hate bottling. /rant
    Used corny kegs are getting fairly hard to find. I know my local shop "the brew shop" in BendOR normally has some. Most of the good ones were cherry picked long ago, not just locally, but all around the country. The soda industry still uses them for temporary setups so their not completely obsolete. Might check with your local cola distributor first.

As far as setting up a keg system you will need a co2 bottle, regulator and the correct style fittings for your keg (pin or ball lock) then your down to some hose and plumbing fittings. Make sure you use Teflon tape on everything so it doesn't leak. It sucks to blow through Co2, not so much from an expense stand point more just a convince. If your looking to do t on the cheap genuine innovations makes a corny Co2 setup that works off the Co2 cartridges we are familiar with. It's a little hard to force carbonate with them but it can be done. Whatever you do DO NOT use the BB gun cartridges for beer, they contain oil to lube guns. You can either use a picnic faucet or put a proper tap handle/s in the door. Then you just have to convince your wife to let you put it in the house.

I got lucky when I bought 6 kegs off ebay several years ago and they were all in pretty good shape. Then last summer I picked up another pair because they were cheap and almost new.

Beer Please!
    Yesterday morning I went over and helped Rack my first home brew into secondary.

Here is a selfy of me sampling the brew out of the hydrometer tube:

10.5% Imperial Stout.

Check out that deep rich color:

Siphoning one of the two Carboys:

And here is a quick video of us using this cool brush thing attached to a drill to help clean our the yeast residue:
    Cleaning the carboy - YouTube

Going to let it sit for a week and bottle and keg this weekend!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Yesterday morning I went over and helped Rack my first home brew into secondary.

Going to let it sit for a week and bottle and keg this weekend!
    Great job!
    What were your starting and current gravity readings, just out of curiosity?
    How does it taste?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

What's your latest homebrew?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360034714.005624.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  15.8 KB
    This is my Amarillo / Citra ipa. It's a little cloudy but oh well it has tons of hop character.

mtbr member
    I make a honey cream ale that is our team's go-to beer for after rides. It was named after one of our team member's personal problem with collecting LED lights:
    What's your latest homebrew?-lightfetish.jpg
    It's super refreshing, which is what we all seem to want right after a ride.

Last night, I kegged a new batch of Pretator Porter. My 7 year old loves the movie Predator, so I had him draw a picture for the label. He spells it "pretator" and wrote out the sound it makes as "cnahcnah". Here's what the label looks like for this one:
    What's your latest homebrew?-pretator-porter.jpg

I ordered the Light Fetish labels from Grogtag.com and they turned out awesome. However, since then I have been just making a picture and printing them out four to a page on the laser printer at Kinkos and then applying them to the bottle with milk. It works great, too, and is much much cheaper. I have thought about how much extra work it is for labels, but then again, it is a hobby so I might as well have fun with it.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Very nice!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Great job!
    What were your starting and current gravity readings, just out of curiosity?
    How does it taste?
    Started at 1.086 and ended at 1.014 "I think" My buddy is helping me a ton with all the math stuff, but we basically figured out 10.5% abv.

The flavor is really nice, I used another friends recipe for his Imperial Stout, and modified it slightly. We added 1lb of Honey near the end of boil to increase the amount of fermentable surgers, and also 12oz of Molasses to give it a slightly sweet finish(14gallon boil, 11 Gallons of finished product).

I am very impressed with the flavor as it stands now, plenty of hop characteristics of an Imperial Stout, with a very slight sweetness on the aftertaste.

We think the 12oz of Molasses could have an effect on the Hydrometer reading because of the extra sugar left over, have you ever added an adjunct that could throw off the final reading?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

What's your latest homebrew?

I'm getting 9.4% abv. OG - FG x 131 = abv.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Enjoyed a double brew-day this past Saturday.
    Started off with a 10 gallon batch of an all Citra and El Dorado DIPA.

Hit mash temps perfectly, despite it having just snowed, and being colder than expected.

Sparging out and dividing up the 1.9 lbs of hops for this brew.

Second batch was a Berlinerweiss, which is sitting warmly on some Lactobacillus until souring reaches my liking, and will then be further fermented with Saccharomyces.

Finishing up, and toasting another long, but enjoyable brew-day.

Beer Please!
    Soaking some bottles in Oxi-Clean to remove the labels so I can fill them up with my first home brew this evening.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Love the posts! I just finished my last bottle of a Honey Porter brewed by the White House kitchen. Recipe kits are available from Northern Brewer, maybe from some other places, too. I highly recommend it: very smooth and mild, very drinkable even for folks who don't like dark beers. The honey makes it more mellow than sweet.

Beer Please!
    I had to make a quick stop to pick up a few items before our bottling of the beer last night.

I had a quick sample of the Dorado DIPA while there....

Transferring from the Carboy to the bottling bucket, the DME has already been mixed with water and boiled and cooled:

Check out that deep rich color:

I have had the name of this beer and the picture for the label in mind for a very long time, Here it is:

This is a picture I took a few years ago of my buddy Caleb hitting a section of the trail called "Flow" at Mammoth Resort, this section of Flow is technically a Double Black Diamond, but I am saving the "Double" name for when I do a barrel aged version of this beer.

Next on the list is an Irish/Imperial Red.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Nice work!
    That color looks amazing, super rich and dark.

mtbr member
    Good looking brews. The White House Honey Porter recipe really gets better after about 6 weeks. Try to let it age.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Nice work!
    That color looks amazing, super rich and dark.
    Thanks! I was hoping to get a super dark rich color. This recipe still has a nice hop character considering it had such a huge grain bill. It tasted really good right out of the carboy, I cannot wait to try it with some carbonation.

Beer Please!
    Brewed for my second time yesterday! We made a dark IPA. Our Gravity was 1.066, so we are hoping for about 7.5% abv on the finished product. Here are a few pics:

First we had something to fuel the process:

My friend has a grain mill, and my other friend has a hook up with one of the local breweries, so we got a killer deal on a 55lb bag of two row. Milling up all our grains right before we start.

My artsy shot of the Hot Liquor tank warming up as the sun begins to set:

And just before boil to give you a good idea of the coloring:

Combination of Mt. Hood, Magnum, Nelson and Simcoe with a dry hop of the Nelson as well.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Nice work!
    Someone needs to smooth out the rim of that kettle before they lose a finger!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Busy weekend in the brewhouse.
    Racked our American IPA into secondary, with it's first of two dry-hopping schedules.
    Also racked the Berliner into secondary with pineapple juice/pulp, and toasted coconut.
    Both have hit final gravity, and will see kegs in about two weeks for conditioning.

Brewed 10 gallons of our collaborative Belgian-style Saison as well.

Indulged a bit in some fine beers during the process as well

A last but not least, whipped up some homemade beer brats for a post brewday dinner.

mtbr member
    Looking tasty. Last week I kind of last minute decided to make something for St Patrick's Day so I made up a 1G batch of an ESB style. I'm sure it'll still be a little green for SPD, but we'll suffer through. I also made a 1G batch of a burnt style mead. I boiled the honey until it got pretty dark and then added some water, a couple of vanilla beans, and a cinnamon stick. I'll bottle it and age for our team Christmas party.

I eat cats
    Nice pics Klurejr & JF! I'm still a lazy MF and still have my latest IPA in secondary. I am sure the hops are fading but I just hate bottling that much. Maybe I'll throw some more hops in and bottle it this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    WOW Brewing and bikes. cool. I just kegged up an IPA with chinook and centennial. 1.070.

mtbr member
    I just half kegged and half bottled a Bourbon Breakfast Stout, haven't tried it yet.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    These!
    What's your latest homebrew?-photo3-2.jpg

MTB Lurker
    I just bottled my Dogfish Indian Brown Clone on Sunday and I'm headed to the store this afternoon to grab some ingredients for my 3rd batch. Headed for an IPA either a Stone IPA or Dale's Pale Ale Clone.

No no...the OTHER LA.
    Jul 2005
    What recipe do you use the Indian Brown and how close is it to the beer straight out of tap? It sure is tasty...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast