Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What's your latest homebrew?

Sorry not quite, liquidized with hot water and added pectinase, let sit for a day and then into the boil
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Going to brew a couple beers this coming weekend. These might be the last beers we brew before packing up and moving this summer.

1. Hatch chili chocolate porter- I've been wanting to do something with chiles for awhile and after looking at some recipes online decided to go with a northern brewing kit that has some chocolate and coffee tones to it. I was thinking about adding just a hint of chocolate powder (maybe an ounce) at burnout. My plan was to add 2 oz of dried hatch chiles for 5 days in the secondary.

2. An assertive or double IPA. We were thinking about just ordering a kit. Maybe heady topper or pliny the elder clone? Haven't decided yet, but we have a gift certificate to burn up. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Where do you get the Burnt Figs from? Are you putting them in at end of boil or dry hopping with them, or just adding to the keg?
    another great way for additions is in the mash too! We do it all the time at work.

mtbr member
    Still haven't home-brewed in a while... but i drank a friends homebrew last night. I am actually glad he just dropped it off rather than drinking it with me. It was awful. Straight up, I RARELY pour a beer down the drain but i couldn't get past 2 sips. Huge amounts of Dimethyl Sulfide. Between that and a weird heavy onion hop flavor(the only hop flavor) it was an easy candidate for being poured down the drain... Sad but true.

mtbr member
    Yikes. Good that he wasn't there to see the look on your face, but you've gotta give him some fairly honest [but carefully worded!] feedback!

I did two brews last weekend on my new Grainfather and they both went flawlessly! Best investment I've made, so much easier than mucking around with BIAB etc. The coffee/choc milk stout I mentioned on the last page turned out bang on, and the Russian River R2H56 bastard [same grain, different hops as there's no Simcoe in NZ at the moment] was just a couple of points under target OG. Both smelled and looked fantastic.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    another great way for additions is in the mash too! We do it all the time at work.
    Helms Brewery does that for their Beeracino, they put the Grounds in with the Mash. That is a pretty good Coffee Beer too.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    I was nearly going to do that with my stout but someone suggested the hour boil would increase the bitterness and boil off some of the aromatics from the coffee. The initial fermentation is over now so I'm going to have to make up my mind soon, I think I might just use regular espresso as it taste like it could use a little more bitterness when I tasted the OG sample

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I was nearly going to do that with my stout but someone suggested the hour boil would increase the bitterness and boil off some of the aromatics from the coffee. The initial fermentation is over now so I'm going to have to make up my mind soon, I think I might just use regular espresso as it taste like it could use a little more bitterness when I tasted the OG sample
    That is what I was thinking, but the beer is good and the coffee aroma and flavor are there.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

Land of the 230+
    More beer has 10% off today with coupon code FULLSITE10

Theyre not my favoritie kits, compared to midwest or northern, but if you need bulk grain, hops, or equipment, theyre priced quite well. Free ship over 59 bucks, excluding 55 lb sacks.

I just picked up 40 lbs milled 2 row, 5 lbs of dextrose and 8 Hop Rhizomes (two of each C hop) for $85 shipped.

mtbr member
    Brewing an IIPA on friday. Keeping it simple, 28# 2 row, 2 # munich malt, 2# c40 and a few handfuls of rice hulls as my 2 row is virtually powder. Keeping it around 8% abv using Magnums for bitter, citra/simcoe at 15min, knockout, and dry hop.
    Last edited by mrmattjohnson; 03-12-2015 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    What's your latest homebrew?-20150313_084701.jpg
    Brewing my IIPA right now... mashing away at 151

mtbr member
    Brewing an IIPA on friday. Keeping it simple
    Sometimes simple is best. Haven't tried Citra and Simcoe together, but hard to imagine it wouldn't be awesome! What sort of ratio are you using them in?

mtbr member
    Sometimes simple is best. Haven't tried Citra and Simcoe together, but hard to imagine it wouldn't be awesome! What sort of ratio are you using them in?
    i do a 50/50 blend at 15min, knockout and dryhop

Land of the 230+
    Tomorrow I'm gonna brew my 3rd and 4th ever all grain batches.

Here's what I have for recipes so far:

Amber IPA 1.076 SG, 82 IBU, 9.3 SRM, ~7.3 ABV
    12 lb 2 row
    1 lb Munich
    1 lb Caramel 20L
    .5 lb Caramel 60L
    1.5 oz Bravo @60
    .5 oz Cascade @15, @10, @5, @0
    .5 oz Willamette @15, @10, @5, @0
    US-05

Celebrate IPA 1.072 SG, 73 IBU, 8.0 SRM, ~7.0 ABV
    12 lb 2 row
    1 lb CaraPils
    1 lb Caramel 40L
    1 oz Chinook @60
    2 oz Cascade @30
    1 oz Cascade @5
    1 oz Columbus @5
    US-05

Amber IPA is a continuation / refinement of the bits and pieces I liked form my last two IPA recipes. Bittering with bravo only, no chinook. No 30 minute addition. Flavoring and aroma hops will be 50%50% cascade and willamette, continually hopped the last 15 minutes.

Celebrate IPA is very loosely modeled after Sierras celebration ale, substituting columbus for centennial, and adjusting the hop schedule. Adding hops at flameout instead of a dryhop.

Ill probably do an extract kit at the same time, since I still have a dozen of so, and I have room on the stove for all three 8 gallon kettles.

mtbr member
    i do a 50/50 blend at 15min, knockout and dryhop
    Sounds good, will have to try it some time, if I can ever get my hands on some Simcoe!

mtbr member
    Sounds good, will have to try it some time, if I can ever get my hands on some Simcoe!
    i never really realized Simcoe was super limited. I just get them free from work

mtbr member
    You lucky bugger. Only limited quantities seem to make it to this side of the world, and it's so popular it always sells quickly, which means people to hoard it, which means it sells even faster! Luckily our local hops aren't so bad, I just did an IPA with Riwaka, NZ Cascade and Amarillo and it was brilliant.

It's Stone you work for, eh?

mtbr member
    yep, my kegerator flows a plentiful of IPAs

mtbr member
    Just kegged a "clone" of Russian Rivers R2H56 brewed with a 2:1 mix of Citra and Amarillo (Citra only at 90 & 30min), smells that damn good I'm gonna force-carb it so I can have one when I get home from work tomorrow!! I love the really light malt base of this beer, will certainly brew it again true-to-form as soon as I can get some Simcoe. Might just become my go-to malt profile for experimenting with different hop combos...

mtbr member
    Think I might have hit a winner this time around. Brewed up what I am calling WHOA - Wee Heavy Oak Ale.

I effectively did a Wee Heavy around 7.4%, after 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, I added 2oz of Oak chips soaked in Bullit.

After about 5 days, moved it to another secondary with 10oz of Bullit and let it cold crash for a week.

Holy cow! It starts out with a hint of bourbon, quickly into a buttery smooth Scotch type ale, lead outs with a hint if sweet malt and finishes with a near coconut, vanilla, oak flavor. Only drink 1 full pint though, sucker is strong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I did two brews last weekend on my new Grainfather .

Keep in mind I am relatively new to home brewing, but I have seen the grainfather in a magazine. What are your thoughts on this wonderful looking piece of equipment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimgrin View Post
    Keep in mind I am relatively new to home brewing, but I have seen the grainfather in a magazine. What are your thoughts on this wonderful looking piece of equipment?
    Personally, after two brews I think it is brilliant! A great way to simplify All-Grain brewing and produce great beer without needing stacks and stacks of equipment. But don't take my word for it, check out the Grainfather Users Group on Facebook, where you'll get similar responses from newbies just starting out and experienced brewers who are looking to simplify their brew day alike.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557...04380/?fref=nf

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bottled a west coast amber on Tuesday that tasted great.

since 4/10/2009
    Doing my first beer today - a chocolate porter.

I've done a couple meads so far that have turned out well (one took 5 years of aging before it was any good at all).

I've been wanting to try beer, so I picked up a kit from the local homebrew supply shop. They build out their kits in-house, and I have several friends who have had really solid results with them.

I have the absolute minimum kit already, so I'm giving it a go. If it goes well and I like the results as much as the mead, I'll probably pick up a propane burner and a big brew kettle, as well as a wort chiller to help the process along.

The so far the ingredients for the beer have cost me half as much (maybe 1/3 as much) as the supplies for my last batch of mead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So when (you will) you get that kettle, you'll never regret going bigger. I got a 10 gallon so that I could do full boils and BIAB and I wish I would have got a 15 gallon instead. And just make your chiller.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    So when (you will) you get that kettle, you'll never regret going bigger. I got a 10 gallon so that I could do full boils and BIAB and I wish I would have got a 15 gallon instead. And just make your chiller.
    maybe I should get a bigger brew kettle. Right now I have a couple of 6.5gal fermenter buckets, but I'd like to get a fancier primary fermenter that makes it easier to separate product from the sediment. If I start to go bigger, though, I'll need to put a little more into a siphon setup, to move the wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter.

mtbr member
    So only my second post here, and just got a fatbike that I've been riding the piss out of, but have been homebrewing for 19 yrs. Right now on tap: IPL, Imperial Pils, RIS, Oktoberfest (still lagering), Hefe, Scottish 60, IPA, English Cider, Schwarzbier and English Mild.

Pic of the brew rig (v3.0):

What's your latest homebrew?-img_0002.jpg

Cheers all!

mtbr member
    Anyone got any experience with English IPAs? I love drinking them, never brewed one before, how does this look? Not sure about the ratio of Challenger to EKG, I know it can be a bit over-powering. Also wondering if I should drop the dry-hop and bump up the FO additions?

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
    Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
    Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
    Bitterness: 35.9 IBUs
    Est Color: 9.6 SRM

Ingredients
    4.80 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 85.7 %
    0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
    0.19 kg Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
    0.16 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.5 IBUs
    25.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 11.2 IBUs
    20.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
    8.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 2.3 IBUs
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 9 3.2 IBUs
    10.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Burton Union Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M79) Yeast 11 -
    30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
    10.00 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

mtbr member
    I've been a big fan of dropping the early hop additions in favor of late-only. Especially for a style like EIPA, where a bit of softness can go a long way, I would consider modifying your hop additions to keep the IBUs between what you have and maybe 40, but doing all of the hops at once at T-20 minutes. You will not be lacking in hop flavor. You'll need to add more volume, but you'll more than make up for it with the lack of sharpness that late-hop bursts like these give. I have an IPL on tap now where I did that and the late-only hops really help the lager flavor come out in the front and not be killed by bitterness. Just my .02. Your malt bill looks spot on.

mtbr member
    Cheers, the grain bill should be good, gold medal worthy in fact, I got it from here; Home Brew Forums - View Single Post - Anyone brewed an IPA with EKG ?

I'd like to keep this one pretty well balanced, and I'm a little concerned that the hops would completely over-ride the malt if I did only 20min or less additions with the amount that would be required to get it up to 40IBU. I'll have a loot at it and might reduce the 60 and up the 30 and 10min additions though.

Less yap more braaap
    The last 4 batches I've made have been IPA's. I'm switching it up this time though, I'm making a malty ale using a fairly high yield yeast (supposed to live at up to 12%) with 1.3 Kg of sugar/fermentables. My next I think might be a Flanders red ale or maybe something in the Japanese style (except I use LME's due to a lack of a large pot to do all grain brewing so I'd need to figure a way to introduce the rice flavoring into the beer).

mtbr member
    baltobrewer (or anyone else!), speaking of late hops, I'm just working out a "use up the left-overs" session IPA. After what's listed below, I've got 35g Columbus, 85g Cascade and 60g Amarillo left. Any suggestions/improvements?

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
    Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
    Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
    Bitterness: 44.4 IBUs
    Est Color: 6.5 SRM

3.00 kg Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 62.0 %
    1.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 24.8 %
    0.60 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.4 %
    0.04 kg Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.8 %
    28.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 22.5 IBUs
    28.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
    28.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
    40.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 8 2.2 IBUs
    40.00 g Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 9 3.7 IBUs
    40.00 g Simcoe [12.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 3.0 min Hop 10 3.2 IBUs
    20.00 g Riwaka [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 min Hop 11 1.3 IBUs
    1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M07) Yeast 12 -
    30.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Cascade [6.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
    20.00 g Riwaka [6.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

mtbr member
    Wondering why the Acidulated malt? Don't think that's going to do anything nor really be noticeable at that volume considering the hop bill. I'd leave it out, and also probably switch the vienna and pale around (volume-wise), unless this is a true kitchen sink where you're just clearing out stock. You will certainly have a grapefruit bomb with that hop bill. Any more hops and you're just adding them to add them. How long are you planning to steep/whirlpool? You have 3 mins and 5 mins, assuming those are just t-minus times? Steeping for any less than about 15-20 minutes won't isomerize any of the aromatics.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've found that with my set up, or maybe just my palate, beersmith over estimates the IBUs from the long hop steep if I enter in the actual time. I usually start circulating thru my counterflow chiller at the end of the boil with no water flowing and the temp drops to the mid 90s, where I leave it for 20-30 minutes before starting the water to chill the wort.

As for the hops, grapefruit bomb is good in this case, but I was wondering if the Columbus would add a bit more 'dank' (what ever that is) if I added them perhaps instead of the Riwaka or Citra.

The grains are set as I've already ordered them, the acid malt was a last minute thing which in hindsight isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Columbus to me adds more resinous pine-tar rather than dank. Simcoe to me is the dank hop standout of your bunch. If you want dank, bump that up in the boil schedule. When I did the BJCP, we used Simcoe as the flavor identifier for that. I personally don't like dank, reminds me of cat pee. I use ProMash (i know, crappy but I've had it forever and it's tuned to my system), so I can't comment on BeerSmith, though I have heard good things about it. You whirlpool technique is spot on. Brew on, my man.

mtbr member
    Cheers, brew day went off without a hitch and it smells great going into the fermenter. Two points above the target OG, hope it finishes fairly high to retain some body and so it isn't too boozy. Next up; Rye Barley Wine....

mtbr member
    Sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Just kegged the English IPA I mentioned a few posts back and was blown away by the colour and clarity when I took the FG sample. Didn't even bother cold crashing it!

What's your latest homebrew?-eipa.jpg

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have been on a roll..

We have had some seriously bad weather in Colorado the last month so I took time to build up my stockpile of beer.

In the last month I have brewed a Farmhouse, Belgian Triple IPA, Belgian Oak Aged Quad, White IPA and a German Alt. I have a Heady Topper clone to brew this week.

Farmhouse and Belgian Triple just went into kegerator, tasting good, but not fully carbed yet.. Quad and German Alt will age until Fall, in secondary now. White IPA will go on tap next..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Wow, I came here to learn more about biking and I find a home brew thread, I think I am going to like this place.

mtbr member
    Just kegged the English IPA I mentioned a few posts back and was blown away by the colour and clarity when I took the FG sample. Didn't even bother cold crashing it!
    Looks great out of the fermenter. British ale yeasts are known for floccing like wet cement, but that is still very impressive. How's the taste/aroma?

mtbr member
    Good, I think, don't think it needs or wants to be consumed fresh like a US-IPA, I'll give it a few weeks to carb up and mellow a little. That was the first time I've used one of the Mangrove Jacks yeasts, M79 Burton Union, pretty impressed with how it went.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just dry hopped 20 gallons of a IIPA with a mix of Amarillo, cascade, centennial, and Chinook. Last keg of this only lasted 8 hours at the store I run. Hopefully I can get a full weekend out of this.

mtbr member
    Bottle conditioning a Saison at the moment. Next up, finally jumping into all grain (in a bag) with a small batch single malt, single hop experiment!

mtbr member
    I did an experimental batch last night. Trying to get a Red Vienna Lager! Looked to have a slight reddish tinge to it in the boil kettle. Hopefully it turns out ok.

mtbr member
    no homebrew on right now unfortunately. Empty conical makes me sad. However i am in the process of moving so i have to wait a few weeks to brew.
    Atleast in the meantime my kegerator has Stone Delicious IPA on draft...

Brewed an experimental pale yesterday. Did a base malt of Golden Promise and some Caramel Pils and Caramel 15 for color and flavor. Boil Hopped with Cascade, not sure if i will Dry hop it or not. Trying to make a low ABV Caramel Pale. Malt Forward.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Bottle conditioning a Saison at the moment. Next up, finally jumping into all grain (in a bag) with a small batch single malt, single hop experiment!
    Good on ya. Once you go all grain you will never look back. Brew some of the same recipes that you brewed extract (assuming you did extract and not partial grain) and wait for it. You'll be blown away by the increase in depth of flavor. It took me about 3 years to go all grain (that was in the late 90's and we didn't have as much access to good stuff back then), but I was amazed at what happened when I took extract out of the equation. Kind of like comparing fresh squeezed OJ to concentrate.

BTW just took a Saison out of primary. Didn't finish as low as I wanted, only got down to 1.010, but it's got plenty of flavor. 7 out of 10. Belgian yeast do what they want.

mtbr member
    Clone of Rogue's Shakespeare Stout on the boil now, never tried the beer before but it seemed like a good place to start for my first oatmeal stout. Smells like a chocolate covered grapefruit at the moment, yum!

What's your latest homebrew?-stout.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^ Are you running an electric kettle there? Looks like a grainfather. Those things are pretty cool if so. I'm all electric on my rig and woudn't go back to gas for love or money.

mtbr member
    Yep it's a Grainfather. That's the sixth brew on it and there's no way I'd go back. The control over mash temps and the simplicity of it all has made brewing so much more streamlined and easier. The chiller works really well now that the tap water is cool, yesterday I transferred straight from the kettle to the carboy immediately after the boil and it was down to 20C.

The only downfall is the limited grainbill size (about 8.5-9kg max), I haven't done a big beer on it yet but I'm planning a Barley Wine soon. It's not really an issue for me, if I'm brewing something over 9%abv I probably don't need 22L of it anyway!

It's not really an issue for me, if I'm brewing something over 9%abv I probably don't need 22L of it anyway!
    I beg to differ.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    You must drink far more than I do then! I've just set up a kegerator with three kegs which makes it a little easier, but a big beer like that is [for me] a special occasion thing. I like to keep my beers in the 4-6% abv range to keep them moving thru the kegs so I can keep brewing and experimenting. Anything much over 6% I'll bottle rather than keg as it isn't something I want to drink large quantities of. Smaller batches = more experimentation, which for me is one of the most appealing aspects of brewing.
    Last edited by David R; 05-31-2015 at 03:05 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Doing my first beer today - a chocolate porter.
    I found some oak cubes (French, medium toast) in my brewing supplies, so I oaked this one for a bit prior to bottling.

I cracked one open recently and it's sublime. Mmmm.

well, my kegerator currently only has one tap, but I happen to love higher ABV Beers, unlike many i could drink them everyday.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    well, my kegerator currently only has one tap, but I happen to love higher ABV Beers, unlike many i could drink them everyday.
    i am the same way, my kegerator holds four 1/6bbls with 3 taps. I do carry lower abv beers but i regularly have homebrew or commercial beer 7-10% on at all times. And I drink it whenever. I think without that diversity the kegerator would be boring. Higher ABV brings totally different style and flavor of beer. Same said with lower abv beers. Both are great but i love them both readily available for me to drink.

mtbr member
    In some ways I agree with you, and come summer I'll quite likely brew a double IPA and keg it for rapid consumption. But for me beers like Trippels, Barley Wine, Imperial Stout etc are all better bottled (and worth the effort/hassle) so they can be enjoyed over time without taking up space in the kegerator for the "every day" beers.

mtbr member
    I would agree with David here. I had a Russian Imperial Stout at 12% that sat in my kegerator for 4+ years. Not that it wasn't good, it just took up space. I usually have a rotation of about a dozen or so 5-7% beers that I keep among my 7 taps. The big ones I'll usually counter pressure fill and store for the long haul. All the others are daily beers or shareable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Soltice Saison

5 gallon

11 pounds Belgian Pilsner

1 1\2 Carivienne

1/2 Carapils

strike water 165

Mash 145 for 70 min (igloo)

Mash out 170 5 min

batch sparge 170

boil 70 min

1 oz Halluertau 60
    1oz Spalt 60

.25 oz Halluertau 40
    .25 oz Spalt 40

.25 oz Halluertau 20
    .25 oz Spalt 20

.25 oz Halluertau 5
    .25oz Spalt 5
    whrlfloc 5
    whitelab yeast nutrient 5
    whitelabs saison

immersion chill (2 copper coil chillers first in ice bucket second in mash)

63 starting gravity

Saison went off quick and is now a week in primary. I do not like taking too many draws and know this yeast is slow will probably leave it in primary for 3 weeks rack it for another week and bottle it it is still popping after a week and a good healthy look about it.

I think I could have backed off on the Caravienne but I never worry too much about strict style as I am not brewing for a contest I am brewing for me. Probably will not carbonate saison style as I do not like the over fizz on my beers

I got an English Pale Ale (Golden Promise Goldings and Fuggle 2 0z each) and a European Ale (Bohemian Pilsner 3 oz Saaz) racked and ready for bottling.

mtbr member
    Red IPA with citra and Amarillo hops.

mtbr member
    Blind Pig clone. I hopped it at flame out with some additional Simcoe that I had left over from an earlier batch. Since the OG was a tad lower than I expected, I also added a half pound of corn sugar at seven days when I dry hopped it and added an ounce of oak chips. This is probably the best beer I've brewed.

Land of the 230+
    Had a BIG brew day yesterday. Brewed six 5-gallon batches, four of which were all-grain. Spent 14 hours brewing, not counting the time spent grinding grain in advance.

Amber IPA - Reddish, sweet IPA with an earthy/piney/grapefruit hop profile
    1.068 OG - 12.4 SRM - 81 IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.2 %
    2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.0 %
    1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
    12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
    0.75 oz Bravo [12.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 29.8 IBUs
    1.00 oz Chinook [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 23.3 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.7 IBUs
    0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.70 %] - Boil 15. Hop 9 9.7 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.3 IBUs
    0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 3.9 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
    0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.70 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14 -

Imperial IPA - Drier, high gravity, resiny hop bomb
    1.083 OG - 10 SRM - 122 IBU
    12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.7 %
    1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
    1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.1 %
    8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.0 %
    1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6 6.1 %
    2.00 oz Millenium [11.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 64.2 IBUs
    1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 20.9 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 9.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.70 %] - Boil 15. Hop 10 17.1 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 3.8 IBUs
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 12 6.9 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 15 -

Island IPA - Tropical, fruity somewhat sweet
    1.062 OG - 5.9 SRM - 68 IBU
    11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.6 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
    1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
    1.00 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 40.3 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 11.2 IBUs
    1.00 oz NZ Orbit [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.8 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz NZ Orbit [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz NZ Orbit [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
    1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 10 -

Oatmeal Porter - Bitter, somewhat sweet, oatmeal mouthfeel
    1.066 OG - 31 SRM - 50 IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.4 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
    1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
    1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
    1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.1 %
    1.00 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 39.1 IBUs
    1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.5 IBUs
    1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.4 IBUs
    1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9 -

I also brewed two extract kits, to make some more room on my shelf.

Octane IPA - Midwest Supplies
    6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 3.15 lbs. Amber LME, 8 oz. Caramel 40L specialty grains, 2 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Willamette, 1 oz. Goldings pellet hops, oak chips

Rogue's I2PA - MoreBeer.com
    12 lbs LME, 4oz hops, 60 IBU, 11 SRM

mtbr member
    ^^^ Wow that is an ambitious day. Good on ya. Just brewed a simple Munich Helles for the August dog days. Should turn out light and crisp. My version of a "light" beer.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have had 3 taps flowing all summer, almost... We had a crazy amount of foul weather this spring so I spent a lot of time brewing and the dividends are paying off. I had to upgrade my kegerator to a 3 tap system (with a 4th on standby carbonating). Thanks to Craigslist I found a free fridge and converted it.

German Alt Beer was flowing for the 4th, very drinkable for the non craft beer folks.
    A White IPA with belgian Wit yeast just kicked
    Currently a Belgian Trippel IPA is pouring (very tasty, but strong!)

Next up
    Belgian Quad
    Heady Topper Clone
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Brewed up a Dusseldorf Alt yesterday. Quite simple, actually: 17 lbs Munich (8 lov), 3 lbs German Pils (1.5 lov), Perle & Mt. Hood at 60, 45 & 30 mins, Whitelabs Alt yeast with 2-step starter. Fermenting at 65. Should be good and biscuity...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    A Rye IPA and a Wheat Ale based off Oberon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It's a partial, but I'm dusting the gear off and brewing an IPA.

mtbr member
    Hibiscus Gose.
    First time brewing this style and let the lactic fermentation go too long - a bit too sour with PH @ 3.0.

mtbr member
    My last two brews have both been stuff-ups! I went halves in a sack of pilsner malt with a friend and borrowed his grain mill to crush it. I'm guessing the grain wasn't crushed fine enough as I undershot my gravity on both of them.

The first one was going to be a Russian River R2H56 clone, I checked the pre-boil gravity with my hydrometer (expecting it to perhaps be higher because I'd milled the grins myself) and didn't sufficiently cool the sample which lead to the reading being too high. Expecting to end up with a 7% ABV beer instead of 5.8%, I chucked in some extra Citra, Cascade and a bit more Simcoe to balance out the higher alcohol, but when I checked the gravity after cooling I discovered it was only 1.052 (target was 1.055, and my misread sample had me expecting it to be more like 1.065). So instead of ending up with a 5% 65+IBU beer, I chucked in 750g local honey (pasteurised and diluted) after high krausen to bump it back up to about 6.8% ABV and [hopefully] balance the bitterness. Interesting experiment at least, the next question is how heavily (if at all) should I dry hop it?

Todays brew was a Belgian Dubbel, and my first time using liquid yeast and making a starter. OG should have been 1.065, so I made a 2L starter of Wyeast 3787. I mashed for 30min at 50C then 45min at 67C, mash out at 76C for ten minutes, 90min boil, got the right volume (22L) but only ended up with 1.055 OG. Which meant I wasted my time doing the starter as the Wyeast packs are good for 19L at up to 1.060! Should still be about 6% once I add the candi sugar, but not as strong as I'd hoped for. Might just keg it and quaff it fairly quickly so I can try again instead of bottle conditioning and ageing it.

I guess that's the good thing about this hobby, even if you cock it up you still almost always make beer!

mtbr member
    Just kegged the Honey IPA, actually tastes pretty good! A bit thin and almost no honey flavour after being force-carbd, but it's better than I hoped for. I filled a dozen bottles with it too so I can see how it ages.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have a lot going on right now..

On the Tap
    Belgian Quad, Belgian Blond and a Double IPA

Aging.. Sour aged in Oak (ready in 4-6 months maybe)
    Trippel Belgian IPA (ready around Thanksgiving)
    Patersbier with Cherries (ready any day, just need an open tap)
    Belgian Golden (ready in February-ish)
    Saison w/ Brett (no idea when it will be ready, got the first taste yesterday and it is coming along nicely)..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Czech Pilsner

100% Pils malt
    Double decoction mash
    Good charge of SAAZ

Very Drinkable......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your latest homebrew?-img_0209.jpg  

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    just did a harvest('ish) ale with a buddy. it's a smash beer; just two-row pale malt and cascade hops that i grew at home. we used dried hops from last season that i vacuum sealed and froze for the early hop additions, and hours-old hops from this season for late additions and dry hopping. turned out decent. it's deceiving; the appearance is light from the two-row, and it drinks real smooth.. but comes in around 8.5% abv. we bottled it since i don't have a kegerator setup.
    VILLAGE RACING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyT47 View Post
    Czech Pilsner

100% Pils malt
    Double decoction mash
    Good charge of SAAZ

Very Drinkable......
    with the newer highly modified malts, decoction mash provides little benefit that can be mimic'd by using some munich malt or melanioden malt. Have you ever thought about that? Will save you time and $ from the extra boiling times. Also reduce tannin production as well.

beer looks good though!

mtbr member
    with the newer highly modified malts, decoction mash provides little benefit that can be mimic'd by using some munich malt or melanioden malt. Have you ever thought about that? Will save you time and $ from the extra boiling times. Also reduce tannin production as well.

beer looks good though!
    I'd never done a decocotion mash before, so I'd thought I'd give it a try. I probably wouldn't do it again as it is a lot of work for little benifit as you say. Beer turned out nice though.

The last Brew I made was an Imperial Stout, came in at 10.6%. This was the third time I have brewed this beer.

And I entered it in a small competition, only 7 beers total and I took home 1st place, wewt!

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have gotten into Brett beers a lot lately.. started drinking a couple brewed from a small brewery called Odd 13 this summer. I thought I would make my own..

So far..
    Saison with Brett C. (came out very tasty so far).. the cool thing about Brett beers is you can drink them when you like the brett character, but they keep changing over time so you get a lot of new flavors over time.

Made a farmhouse with brett b about 2.5 weeks ago, got the first taste today and it was also very good, should be ready for keg in a a couple weeks.

I got to talk to some folks at Odd 13 the other day and there suggestion was just throw it on the tap if you like it, and enjoy it as it evolves..

Next up.. I am going to do a Hoppy Petite Saison with Brett B
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I did a little experiment with a Dubbel I brewed a while ago and some bretty sludge from the bottom of a commercial beer, it smelled (and tasted) interesting when II bottled it, I'd like to try more but I'm put off by the cost of a whole second set of equipment an the concern for contaminating everything else.

I'm currently sitting next to my Grainfather watching an American Wheat come to the boil, all Amarillo hops, perfect for summer (hopefully!).

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I did a little experiment with a Dubbel I brewed a while ago and some bretty sludge from the bottom of a commercial beer, it smelled (and tasted) interesting when II bottled it, I'd like to try more but I'm put off by the cost of a whole second set of equipment an the concern for contaminating everything else.

I'm currently sitting next to my Grainfather watching an American Wheat come to the boil, all Amarillo hops, perfect for summer (hopefully!).

I have heard (not confirmed yet), that if you clean well, no worry. I do however have a fermenter just for Brett and one of my 4 tap lines/kegs will be for Brett. Tap lines are cheap enough if you have to get rid of one...
    BBZ

mtbr member
    The last Brew I made was an Imperial Stout, came in at 10.6%. This was the third time I have brewed this beer.

And I entered it in a small competition, only 7 beers total and I took home 1st place, wewt!

awesome congrats! I have only entered into the san diego county fair where you have over 100 entries in the major categories. I have one second place with a black IPA 7 years ago in the "specialty category" and two 3rd place ribbons with my russian imperial stout.
    What is crazy, last time i entered, i scored a 42 on my IPA and didn't even get top 5! thats nuts.

mtbr member
    I have an Oatmeal Stout in the primary. Used one of those WhiteLabs direct pitch squeezy tubes they have now. Pitched right into 10 gallons of 1.059 wort...we'll see how she does. Bubbling away like mad, had active ferm within about 9 hours, so far so good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bourban barrel porter

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Me too, nearly, robust porter with vanilla and bourbon. Smelled amazing when I kegged it, can't wait to try it, but I will as I think it needs time for the vanilla to mellow a little.

Up next is a West Coast IPA using all NZ grains (Gladfields). OG should be around 1.071, I've bought 300g of Mosaic hops to experiment with as I've never used them before, I've also got Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo in the freezer. Any suggestions on what to mix with the Mosaic? I'm thinking either 2:1 with Amarillo, or adding a mix of all four at FO/whirlpool and dry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I brewed a Blind Pig IPA clone yesterday and it is bubbling away nicely. The storage room where it's at is at a perfect 68f. What is currently in production at your house?

Pic added:
    Just drank my first bottle of this all cotta hopped pale ale. Delish !

Bannėd
    Not my latest homebrew but just bought a new burner and a keg. So excited to finally start kegging! It's been a little over a year since I've brewed too so ready to get back at it.

Picked up ingredients to do a chocolate milk stout for my wife (she just had our first born so I owe her some suds).

What's your latest homebrew?-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Is this where we argue for the rest of the thread?

Bannėd
    Brewed the chocolate milk stout on Christmas Day... It's bubbling up just fine so it's a success so far.

Bannėd
    Racked my stout to secondary and added some chocolate nibs to it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Fairly traditional Irish stout just about ready to be racked to the secondary. Hopped it a little more heavily with an ounce of Magnum, may add a little something to the secondary.

Bannėd
    Did a wheat beer last night that I will be adding some watermelon flavor to when I keg it.

mtbr member
    Kegging a red IPA with 2:1:1 Mosaic:Simcoe:Amarillo today, and in another week-or-so I'll be brewing a Marris Otter SMaSH with the latest release from NZHops; Brooklyn | New Zealand Hops Limited

mtbr member
    First non-Grainfather brew in over a year; 4.5L stovetop extract test-brew for some suspiciously flavourless Mosaic hops. DME to 1.050, 4.9g/L @10, 7.4g/L whirlpool and dry, 42 IBU. Should give me a good idea if those Mosaic were any good or not!

I've read good things about Mosaic before but have never used it. The IPA in my last post was a big disappointment (all bitterness and malt, very little hop aroma/flavour), part of it was the water (I completely forgot to add any sort of minerals/salts to my almost-pure rainwater) but last week I was brewing an APA with the left-over Mosaic I was struck by the complete lack of aroma when I threw in the 10min addition (compared to the massive pungent smells coming off the Nelson Sauvin FWH) so I quickly substituted the whirlpool addition for something else and decided to do this instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your latest homebrew?-img_20160204_151519.jpg  

Bannėd
    ^I was eyeing the Grainfather the other day. Happy with it?

My latest chocolate milk stout came out great, first kegged beer too. Been on tap for 2.5 weeks now and tastes better every day (it was definitely a little "green" at first).

This pic was taken a week or so ago.

mtbr member
    Yep very happy with it. I've had it just over a year now, no issues (apart from the occasional user-related one, like not noticing the temperature probe was partially out and stuffing up two brews!), and have made some great beer with it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it unless you're either someone who likes to brew full batches of high ABV beer (IMO 8.5-9kg is about as much grain as you'd want to jam in there) or you want to make more than 23L at a time. But for someone like me who wants to make corny-keg-quantities of roughly 5-8% ABV beer it's been fantastic.

Bannėd
    Yep very happy with it. I've had it just over a year now, no issues (apart from the occasional user-related one, like not noticing the temperature probe was partially out and stuffing up two brews!), and have made some great beer with it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it unless you're either someone who likes to brew full batches of high ABV beer (IMO 8.5-9kg is about as much grain as you'd want to jam in there) or you want to make more than 23L at a time. But for someone like me who wants to make corny-keg-quantities of roughly 5-8% ABV beer it's been fantastic.
    Thanks! 23L is all I need as well. Really liking putting brew into kegs, bottling is no fun.

Land of the 230+
    I've done two rounds of three batches so far this year. Broken into three days each brew cycle so I can do it on weeknights after my son goes to bed. I measure and grind the grain, and sort the hops on the first evening. The second day I mash, cold sparge, boil and whirlpool. I no-chill it overnight, sealed in the kettles, and the following day I fill to the fermenters and pitch my yeast.

5.8% Rye-PA
    5.7% Oatmeal Coffee Porter
    6.7% SN Celebration Ale Clone
    ~8% Frootloop IPA (citra/mosaic)
    ~6% Amber IPA
    ~9% Amber Double IPA

What's your latest homebrew?-20160131_171103.jpg

What's your latest homebrew?-20160131_185452.jpg

What's your latest homebrew?-20160201_210443.jpg

I got tired of cleaning kegs, so Ive taken to repurposed 2 Liter soda bottles these days. I usually throw 4 bottles of each batch right into the fridge and force carb them with the "carbonator" fitting, and the rest I prime with sucrose and sit on a shelf in the basement. Considerably less hassle than kegging, and orders of magnitude easier than bottling glass.

Cool Setup! I have a friend who uses 2 liter soda bottles as well. It is odd to see him pouring beer out of them, but who cares, it tastes good.

I don't mind Bottling 22oz bottles, but I don't like doing Baby Bottles, takes too long to convert 5 gallons into so many 12oz bottles...

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

I've read good things about Mosaic before but have never used it. The IPA in my last post was a big disappointment (all bitterness and malt, very little hop aroma/flavour), part of it was the water (I completely forgot to add any sort of minerals/salts to my almost-pure rainwater) but last week I was brewing an APA with the left-over Mosaic I was struck by the complete lack of aroma when I threw in the 10min addition (compared to the massive pungent smells coming off the Nelson Sauvin FWH) so I quickly substituted the whirlpool addition for something else and decided to do this instead.
    I think you got a bad Batch of Mozaic, or you were sold something else... When I brewed a Mozaic IPA last year the Aroma was nonintoxicating good, and the flavor complimented the Aroma quite well.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

Land of the 230+
    Cool Setup! I have a friend who uses 2 liter soda bottles as well. It is odd to see him pouring beer out of them, but who cares, it tastes good.

I don't mind Bottling 22oz bottles, but I don't like doing Baby Bottles, takes too long to convert 5 gallons into so many 12oz bottles...

Thanks. Yeah, its a little embarrassing bringing a couple 2L bottles of beer to a party or get together, but hey, its better than showing up with a growler full of flat beer because I tried to pour it into something classy. Maybe one day Ill invest in a beer gun, but then its back to kegging. As of now, I only keg for larger parties when I break out the jockey box.

But in terms of lazy man's brewing, I have had such good luck with those fastferment conicals. I got them with a 20% off coupon for 80 bucks a pop, and they are well worth it. The downsides are the occasional clog at the bottom, and a not so tight seal at the lid. Removing trub and hops through the collection ball a little earlier, while still under active fermentation, helps with the former issue. The latter really isn't a big deal IMO, unless you insist on counting every bubble out of the air lock.

Anyway, you didnt ask for any of that, but if anyone is looking to shave a bit of effort off your brew cycle, its worth a look.

mtbr member
    I think you got a bad Batch of Mozaic, or you were sold something else... When I brewed a Mozaic IPA last year the Aroma was nonintoxicating good, and the flavor complimented the Aroma quite well.
    I agree. The stovetop trial brew smelled ok, but certainly not as god as you'd expect with the quantities used. I'm certainly going to try some again from a different source [or same shop but different batch].

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I brewed 3 times last week, first was an English barleywine with an OG of 1.131 which will hopefully come out around 13.5 - 14% (did some tricks to get some extra tolerance out of the yeast), a French saison which I'm trying to hone in a proper rustic feel on, and a simple hoppy saison with azacca.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4