mtbr member
    Mar 2009

What's your favorite session beer?

Here are the qualifications:

It must be a Craft Beer. For a definition see:Brewers Association | American Craft Brewer Definition

Must be <5.5%

Why do you like it?

PS. Sorry if there's another thread about this...didn't find one

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been digging the Kolsch lately.
    Laurelwood in OR makes some good ones.
    Smooth and easy to drink....
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does Smirnoff count?

mtbr member
    Nothing better than a well done Berlinerweiss on a hot day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like IPA's and stouts. Any number of great stouts that meet the abv criteria. I think Lagunitas' daytime IPA is pretty darn good. I think it's 4.7%.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Nothing better than a well done Berlinerweiss on a hot day.
    +1. Tartare from Bear Republic or Ching Ching from Bend Brewing are recent favorites.

mtbr member
    Peak Summer Session Ale, 5% and a great easy drinking(but not lacking flavor)session beer. I love to BBQ with it on hot summer days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Firestone Walker's Pale 31 is a nice session beer. Just a nice light pale ale, at 4.8%, still a fair amount of hop. I can definitely enjoy a few of these.

Sessions lager, had a few the other night when I started this thread. It's a nice, easy drinker, but my tastes have changed over the years and it definitely seems too sweet for my tastes. I'll still knock a few back at the end of the day though.

I spent a whole day at the GABF seeking out good session beers (I was there for all 4 sessions so I needed a light day), I found a few that were really nice. I remember one in particular, which was brewed by a brewery in GA I think that was about 3.5% but pretty hoppy. Very refreshing.

And x2 on the Kolsch.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bitter American by 21st Amendment is the one I go for - at 4.4% I can drink one while my kid is napping and I'm mowing the lawn and still have plenty of energy. I also like being able to drive in an hour. It's a a nicely done beer with a just the right amount of hop bitterness and aroma (warrior and cascade, iirc) and enough malt backbone to balance it out. It's not an over the top beer, but has good flavor for such a low ABV. It comes in cans, which I think is important for a session beer, so you can transport easily to the beach, pool or river.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Right now it's Parallel 49's Ugly Sweater milk stout, though I doubt it's available much outside BC. There are so many great options, I tend to switch it up a lot. Switchback IPA is a solid choice, and has a great whip on the bottle to boot.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Highland Cold Mountain Ale! Only drawback is that its a seasonal brew. It's nice to have good local beer when you get off the trail.