Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plays with tools

What's your favorite macro beer?

I love craft beer with the best of them. But some times you just need a easy drinking clean beer. I don't know why but for some reason Olympia stands out from the crowd to me. Must be the water. I just wish it was easier to find.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Miller High Life; but only out of a cold tallboy.

I find that it enhances my supervisory skills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Heiniken

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I love craft beer with the best of them. But some times you just need a easy drinking clean beer. I don't know why but for some reason Olympia stands out from the crowd to me. Must be the water. I just wish it was easier to find.
    It definitely is the water. They used to have 4 packs of tall boys at Safeway on 3rd for $4. Do they not carry it anymore?? Olympia 95% Malt is pretty good too.

GeePhroh's got the right idea - High Life isn't too bad. Same with PBR.

I tried some Coors Batch 19 recently - labeled as a "Pre-Prohibition Style Lager" which was actually pretty good.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    High Life or High Life Light for sure. It ALWAYS sells out at the beer stores near me. Why the hell don't they order more? Dammit!

mtbr member
    Probably Sam Adams Boston Lager.
    Signature

Afric Pepperbird
    PBR

Sam Adams

Rainier

Schlitz

Blatz

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Probably Sam Adams Boston Lager.
    SA is still considered "micro", even though they're huge!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Goose Island!

I kid, I kid

To be honest, the only two macro beers I ever usually come in contact with (usually via my brother-in-law) in Amstel and High Life...with the occasional Stella.
    All of which I have no qualms throwing back if it's around.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Goose Island!
    Touche!

mtbr member
    I'm sorry, but to my mind Sam Adams and New Belgium are macro brewers. I can't find either where I live now, but I'm a fan of both Lonestar and Dixie.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I'm sorry, but to my mind Sam Adams and New Belgium are macro brewers.
    No worries, but their not.
    Perception of a successful micro/regional brewery being "macro" is a common misconception.
    It's hispter mentality
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

\m/{-_-}\m/
    High Life for me. When it's hot outside and the bottles or cans are ice cold it just goes down so well.

mtbr member
    Perception of a successful micro/regional brewery being "macro" is a common misconception.
    It's hispter mentality
    Ha!. I don't get called a hipster nearly enough. I'm not under any misconception. I understand that mine is not a "technical" definition, though I'm sure somebody is out there making a stronger case than I ever could. However, I do know that no matter what market I walk into in America, I can count on finding two beers: Budweiser and Fat Tire. This means New Belg is cranking out a ton of Fat Tire.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    It's hispter mentality
    Right on! Personally, I like the term "craft" better than "micro" -- that way, you can lump together the New Belgium's and Sierra Nevada's with the "3-barrel-system-in-a-garage" guys.

Love them or hate them, Sam Adams is a whole different -- and, yeah, I'll say it -- better animal than InBev.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Ha!. I don't get called a hipster nearly enough. I'm not under any misconception. I understand that mine is not a "technical" definition, though I'm sure somebody is out there making a stronger case than I ever could. However, I do know that no matter what market I walk into in America, I can count on finding two beers: Budweiser and Fat Tire. This means New Belg is cranking out a ton of Fat Tire.
    Hehe...it's nothing personal, just for fun.

I just don't understand the mentality (hipster or not ) of lambasting a brewery for a well liked product, and successes in their business practices. Given their relatively short life in the American beer scene, having penetrated as well as they have should be respected. Should Fat Tire be everyone's favorite beer? No. It's ability to appeal to such a large number of people, to the point of becoming so widely popular/available, is still a great achievement.

Don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate the "local", and "regional" love we share for craft beer products. I guess I just see the country as a whole, with regards to "local" beers. the more the better, and if New Belgium/Sierra Nevada/etc can pave the way...cool.

mtbr member
    I just don't understand the mentality (hipster or not ) of lambasting a brewery for a well liked product, and successes in their business practices. Given their relatively short life in the American beer scene, having penetrated as well as they have should be respected. Should Fat Tire be everyone's favorite beer? No. It's ability to appeal to such a large number of people, to the point of becoming so widely popular/available, is still a great achievement.

Don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate the "local", and "regional" love we share for craft beer products. I guess I just see the country as a whole, with regards to "local" beers. the more the better, and if New Belgium/Sierra Nevada/etc can pave the way...cool.
    I hear you. And don't get me wrong, mine is not a precious argument, nor am I lambasting New Belg or Sam Adams. They just brew a lot of gallons of beer...some varieties of which I enjoy immensely. Great beer is great beer. However, I can fault Fat Tire for being pretty awful in its class. I can be mystified by its success, and even suspect that much of the reason for its success is due to distrubution controls/marketing--which enters in to "macro" territory"--though I can only suspect. But I'll digress because I really have no dog in the macro/micro fight.

Given the choice between Fat Tire and, say, Lonestar, I would have to think twice and check my mood. There's kind of nothing worse, when in a craft beer mood, than settling for Fat Tire because that's what's on the shelf. If I think of Fat Tire as macro, it's easier to drink.

mtbr member
    Hey, wait just a cotton-pcikin-minute, JFryauff, you poke fun at me for being a hipster when there's an entire thread up right now about your monthly fancy-pants beer and food pairings? Isn't that like the hipster calling the bike messinger hip or something?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Hey, wait just a cotton-pcikin-minute, JFryauff, you poke fun at me for being a hipster when there's an entire thread up right now about your monthly fancy-pants beer and food pairings? Isn't that like the hipster calling the bike messinger hip or something?
    Called you a hipster...but never said I wasn't one

mtbr member
    Called you a hipster...but never said I wasn't one
    You're lucky I don't live in Philly. I'd be inviting myself over to your next gathering.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Hi.
    In order to be "micro," the brewery has to make less thatn 6M barrels of beer a year. Last time I checked Boston Beer Co. makes just under 2M barrels per year.

I like the term craft as well, until the big boys start using it to describe beers like Blue Moon. On the other hand, Goose Island makes some awesome beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been enjoying double cans of High Life and Banquet Beer on the train ride home lately. Can't beat $2.25 a can at the station's CVS! Usually just pick the coldest regardless of brand...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your favorite macro beer?-img_0448.jpg  

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    SA is still considered "micro", even though they're huge!
    I believe they bumped the volume cap for craft beer up to 3 million barrels. Just for the Boston Beer company (sam Adams) and Sierra Nevada who had surpassed the old 'craft' boundary of 1 million bbls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    In order to be "micro," the brewery has to make less thatn 6M barrels of beer a year. Last time I checked Boston Beer Co. makes just under 2M barrels per year.

I like the term craft as well, until the big boys start using it to describe beers like Blue Moon. On the other hand, Goose Island makes some awesome beer.
    Yeah, these definitions are a bit of a rabbit hole though. This thread got me looking around the interwebs, and there's about a hundred different versions of what is or isn't micro. I read 2 million barrels a number of times. 6 million seems like too large a number. I found so many different definitions that I decided that micro is in the eye of the beholder, but has to be defined by number of gallons. Craft beer is a bit of a tricky definition as well, and may have less to do with numbers and more with methods. I too prefer it.

Edit: New Belg actually claims they are "macro" but also "craft". At least that's how I read their explanations. See frequently asked questions on micro and craft under the heading "business":

New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-15-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Hi.
    Yeah, these definitions are a bit of a rabbit hole though. This thread got me looking around the interwebs, and there's about a hundred different versions of what is or isn't micro. I read 2 million barrels a number of times. 6 million seems like too large a number. I found so many different definitions that I decided that micro is in the eye of the beholder, but has to be defined by number of gallons. Craft beer is a bit of a tricky definition as well, and may have less to do with numbers and more with methods. I too prefer it.

Edit: New Belg actually claims they are "macro" but also "craft". At least that's how I read their explanations. See frequently asked questions on micro and craft under the heading "business":

New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification
    The 6 million number is recent, as established by the American Brewer's Association. New Belgium's website is actually out of date. NB's website (that you linked to) even references the second link below, which clearly states 6 million barrels.

Brewers Association | American Craft Brewer Definition

CraftBeer.com | Craft Brewers are Small, Independent, Traditional

The term "craft" has become more popular than "micro" in recent years, particularly because breweries like Boston, Sierra Nevada, Deschutes, New Belgium, etc. are anything but small. But the number is still defined, even if it has changed within the past year.

So there you have it, Pretty clear that "micro" and or "craft" are most readily defined as 6 million barrels or less. In fact, Deschutes Brewery also brings up the 6 million barrel number on tours of their brewery. Just in case you wanted to go check it out and hear it from the horse's mouth .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast