Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

What state/province do you think has the best beer?

I think my home province of BC has quite a selection of amazing beers. I'd put BC in the top 5, but I may be biased. However, I can concede that BC does not take top honours - for me, that's definitely Oregon. It blows my mind how many amazing beers come from Oregon.

Do you have a differing opinion, or do you agree? What state produces your favourite beers?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Easily VT.

ride the moment
    I live in Oregon and would be tempted to tip my hat for the local crew, however if the award is going out for beer production within a state then I'd have to go for California. There's just so much good stuff. It should be noted that Oregon has only 5 million people and California is pushing 40 million. Also it sucks to be in most of California, so any consideration other than beer variety within state borders I believe would put them out of the lead.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Paper Mill Aleworks
    It's all subjective...so no such place exists.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    It's all subjective...so no such place exists.
    You've missed the point.

Cali does put out a lot of good beers... I think we just see more OR beers up here so I'm better versed in them

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Molsonnn man!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    You've missed the point.
    Fair enough, but we'll see how long until the point get's missed in general, and this turns into the typical pissing match.

I will say that recently I've been incredibly impressed by Illinois.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    You've missed the point.
    No he hasn't.

There is no "best" beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    No he hasn't.

There is no "best" beer.
    Please read posts carefully before cutting them down. "do you think" and "your favorite" are subjective by intention. This isn't about defining the best beer or best state as obviously there's no such thing. The point is to see where is the most popular. Hopefully more reasonable people visit this thread soon.

mtbr member
    Please read posts carefully before cutting them down. "do you think" and "your favorite" are subjective by intention. This isn't about defining the best beer or best state as obviously there's no such thing. The point is to see where is the most popular. Hopefully more reasonable people visit this thread soon.
    Sorry if I came off as unreasonable. I'll play along.

Belgium
    Germany
    California
    Oregon
    Vermont
    Colorado
    Michigan
    Pennsylvania
    etc.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain View Post
    Also it sucks to be in most of California, so any consideration other than beer variety within state borders I believe would put them out of the lead.
    What on earth does that mean?

I think California is the best beer state(just too many awards compared to everywhere else), but I would give best Beer Country to Belgium. Nobody does gueuze better than the Belgium people. :-)
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    QC for sure.

Hi.
    My fiancee surprised me with a trip to Chicago for my birthday in April - looking forward to trying a few brews out there .

California is at the top of my personal list. Per capita quality may have to go to Vermont, although I'll need to do some more testing to confirm.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Last time I was in BC was 2000, and the selection of beer was not very good. A LOT can change in 13 years, though. I'd love to visit again and see for myself. Vancouver is one of only a handful of places in the world to which I'd be willing to move.

To answer your question, I'd vote California because it is where I live. In general fresh beer is good beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Last time I was in BC was 2000, and the selection of beer was not very good.
    Last time I was there was '04 and I felt the same way. Like you said though, a lot has changed in the beer world in that time. I have heard rumblings of some good things happening up there.

~~~
    As an amateur beer nerd drinking among some professional beer nerds, it's really hard to say. I lived in the California Bay Area all my life, so had access to pretty much all of the best beers the state has to offer. However, when I get to taste some offerings from out of state, I'm also blown away. Maybe it's because I rarely taste anything like those particular brews. Maybe it's because those out of state beers I get to taste are some of the best offerings that are worthy of a trade. Either way, it's probably an unfair comparison because California is huge. And it looks like most are voting for California. I think a little interesting wrinkle would be to break California down to NorCal and SoCal. And to draw the line, I would say Bakersfield is the border. Although, that may be unfair, as that gives NorCal both Kern River Brewing and Firestone Walker.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    And to draw the line, I would say Bakersfield is the border. Although, that may be unfair, as that gives NorCal both Kern River Brewing and Firestone Walker.
    What's your pick? I think you know mine

Rogue Exterminator
    As a whole, I think California has best overall selection of breweries.

However most people don't think of this state when it comes to beer, but Michigan has two of the best breweries.

Founders tops my chart for the best Brewery ever and Bells is up there in the top 5.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I may be biased living in California, but I think we have a great selection of breweries. My local breweries are Kern river brewing, which makes the best Citra DIPA, and Lengthwise brewing in bakersfield.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Agree with most everyone else that California rules. Heck, the San Diego area alone boasts more great beers than most entire states.

After that, I'd go with Colorado, then New York, then North Carolina.

There may be some great beers in BC but it's hard to get them in the southeastern US. I remember getting a couple of local BC beers at a bar in Victoria on a cruise this past summer but they weren't very memorable, the Alaskan Brewery beers we had on the trip were certainly better than they were.

Beer Me!
    Colorado pride!

No, but seriously I don't care what the "best" state is. I dream of a utopius where all states are filled with craft breweries, where the beer scene can roam free, and the grocery store isles are not crowded with yellow beer all day.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    PA has a lot of exceptional beers. Troeg, Victory, and Weyerbacher are a few of my favorites.

mtbr member
    For number of good breweries, it would be hard to argue against CA. However, a lot of smaller states have a number of good breweries. I just got back from WA, and outside of the super popular PNW beers like hop venom, there were lots of other excellent beers that I had never heard of.

One cool thing about smaller communities like MT where I lived, is that the local beer is all you find in town. Here in CA, it still seems easier to find macro made "craft" beers (eg blue moon) than the real stuff. My experience in smaller communities is that they are more supportive of local brewers, and it is easier to find the local stuff on tap.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    One cool thing about smaller communities like MT where I lived, is that the local beer is all you find in town. Here in CA, it still seems easier to find macro made "craft" beers (eg blue moon) than the real stuff. My experience in smaller communities is that they are more supportive of local brewers, and it is easier to find the local stuff on tap.
    Where do you live where you find that to be the case? Have you tried using taphunter? Here in San Diego just about every bar, restaurant and even theaters offer local craft beer on tap or in bottle. And I mean places that are not catering to the craft beer community either.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Where do you live where you find that to be the case? Have you tried using taphunter? Here in San Diego just about every bar, restaurant and even theaters offer local craft beer on tap or in bottle. And I mean places that are not catering to the craft beer community either.
    Yeah, you can get craft beer almost anywhere now in the bay area. Big improvements over a few years ago. Still though, outside of the hardcore beer places, its hard to find a bar that doesn't have coors light as its best seller.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast