Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Save Jesus

What snack makes IPA's taste good?

A while ago I was doing a beer tasting at Mammoth Brewing where I went thru all their beers along with a little tray of salted pretzels. It made all the subtle flavors and spices in their IPA's come out. I was impressed and bought a few bottles on the spot. When I went back home again and had them, they tasted kinda like "ehh, it tastes like IPA".

What other snack or light food suggestions do you guys have? If I have a strong IPA with a big and heavy meal, it knocks me out for about 2 hrs.

What Food Goes Best with IPA? | Serious Eats: Drinks

Rogue Exterminator
    I find another IPA goes great with an IPA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was going to suggest something moderately spicy like Mexican or Indian food, but it looks like your link has that covered.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check out this food pairing chart, it's a good start for any beer pairing:

http://www.craftbeer.com/attachments...eerandfood.pdf

Personally, with an IPA, I like hot wings with excessive blue cheese dressing.

mtbr member
    This might sound trashy, but I love IPA with a good all beef hot dog, I prefer all beef ballpark, or an all beef fenway frank. I think it has a lot to do with the saltiness.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Hi.
    I cannot stand to eat spicy food when drinking good beer. Capsaicin doesn't pair well with delicate hop flavors.

The Serious Eats article does a pretty good job not pairing IPAs with really spicy food, but I have my doubts about the tongues of the commenters at the bottom of the page. Eating something overly spicy is a pretty bad idea if you actually want to taste anything in your beer other than sweet and bitter flavors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Never tried - Randy Mosher recommends carrot cake with IPA.
    There was a beersmith podcast in whcih he spoke of it....
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Save Jesus
    This is weird. I got my bag of pretzels, but it really didn't make the ipa's taste any better. The only other possibility was that it was the vertical tasting.

Beer Me!
    I am getting the impression that you don't like IPA. The best beer should be amazing by itself, and if anything make food taste better, not the other way around IMO.

Side question:
    Doesn't mammoths IPA have sage in it? or was that a seasonal?
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Kettle Chips, Salt and Vinegar go great with IPA's but Gueardonian is right, the beer makes them better not the other way around
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    this. x2
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    ...The best beer should be amazing by itself, and if anything make food taste better, not the other way around IMO.
    Are you saying that beer makes food better, but food can't make beer better?
    Pairing goes both ways when done right... Best example I know of is Ninkasi Radiant Red and smoked meat. Both benefit from the pairing.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Perfect.

mtbr member
    Miracle Fruit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/di...avor.html?_r=0

They are for real! They do exactly as stated (except for a very small percentage who are immune to the effects, I have never met one). Cholula hot sauce has a REALLY complex flavor full of spices you can taste when the spicy part is removed Beer all tastes different as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    This is weird. I got my bag of pretzels, but it really didn't make the ipa's taste any better. The only other possibility was that it was the vertical tasting.
    Temperature can have a huge effect, are you drinking the IPA at home ice cold? If beer (or wine) is too cold, much of the flavor is muted.

I wholeheartedly agree that food and drink pairing benefits BOTH the drink and the food, fwiw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    peanuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Chocolate.

IPAs, bourbon and chocolate are must-haves for our evening rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The fifth food group Pizza!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    OP, did I miss something, or did the tasting come from something other than a bottle? You weren't tasting from a tap were you?

PRETENDURO
    Homemade chocolate chip cookies always go well with IPAs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Save Jesus
    yup, the tasting was from a tap. But I bought the bottled beer from the same room.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    yup, the tasting was from a tap. But I bought the bottled beer from the same room.
    My guess is the difference between straight from the tap and bottles played a role. However, what you ate earlier in the day can affect your taste buds. Or your body could have been craving salt, which heightened the experience. Lastly, I've had times where I was drinking the most generic of micro brews, and it tasted like the best thing ever. Some days, you just love life a little more.

uh huh
    Oct 2012
    thank you for this great Thread

Save Jesus
    You're welcome. This is indeed a great Thread.

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Lastly, I've had times where I was drinking the most generic of micro brews, and it tasted like the best thing ever. Some days, you just love life a little more.
    I've noticed this effect as well. An IPA tastes pretty good after a hard day of sitting around watching my brother go fly fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast