Thread: What is quality

Beer Me!

What is quality

My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Please!
    Really interesting article, but like one of the commenters, I disagree in the fact that peoples pallet's vary wider than styles of beer, and thus what one person may find to be good quality and pleasing taste another may find hard to swallow. Just because something tastes wrong to you as a person does not mean you are right or wrong about that when it might taste good to someone else.

I think "quality" should have a more broad definition that starts with Ingredients, company philosophy, and consistency. Who cares if your chemical levels look perfect under a microscope if the beer is un-inspiring.

This is why I dislike when people talk about how great the big three are at making beer, yes the beer might be consistent, and on a chemical level it might not contain any bad bacteria, but the company philosophy is in the wrong place, and the beer does not inspire me.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Really interesting article, but like one of the commenters, I disagree in the fact that peoples pallet's vary wider than styles of beer, and thus what one person may find to be good quality and pleasing taste another may find hard to swallow. Just because something tastes wrong to you as a person does not mean you are right or wrong about that when it might taste good to someone else.

I think "quality" should have a more broad definition that starts with Ingredients, company philosophy, and consistency. Who cares if your chemical levels look perfect under a microscope if the beer is un-inspiring.

This is why I dislike when people talk about how great the big three are at making beer, yes the beer might be consistent, and on a chemical level it might not contain any bad bacteria, but the company philosophy is in the wrong place, and the beer does not inspire me.

I agree to an extent. As far as the varety of styles of beer, and individuals varrying pallets.

However I highly disagree in the opinion of "who cares about chemical levels". Sure a small brewery will have different levels, but they should still strive for non-infected, fully and properly fermented, good product. Regardless of the size of the brewery it should be a top goal to prevent infections and off flavors in their beer. I never see an excuse for the "big three" off flavors that he mentioned unless it was designed into the beer. Very rarely should you have blatant infections/off flavors like Diacetyl, Acetaldehyde, and Oxidization. YA YA Ya as always with everything there are exceptions, like English bitters for diacetyl, some Boch's with Aceteldehyde, and many brew pubs induce oxidization through a beer engine, but it should be INTENDED.

I 100% agree with the authors point that the smaller craft breweries that are not focused on the quality of the product and see a quick buck are hurting the overall craft scene. I have been to many small brew pubs with AWFUL beer and here people sitting at other tables saying stuff like "oooo i really like the butterscotch flavor in this one" or "this beer tasts just like an apple jolly rancher, YUM" and they have no idea its a BAD thing resulting from poor brewing practices. The general public is not educated enough to know what Bad Beer is, and thus small breweries that don't care about beer quality as long as its selling are educating the public wrong.

I do agree with your statement about the big Macro breweries though. While the beer is technically good, they lack the passion and innovation of most of the craft breweries. I just get concerned about the craft breweries that are in it for the money and not the passion/quality/love of beer.

Honestly I think the author of the article said it a bit better than I did.

Beer Please!
    beer that tastes infected is a bad thing, obviously. But I do not think the general public is ever going to be savvy enough to recognize that.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    beer that tastes infected is a bad thing, obviously. But I do not think the general public is ever going to be savvy enough to recognize that.
    This is probably a sad but true statement.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    The silver cap Guava Grove from CCB was infected, and one of the greatest quality oversights ever!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill