mtbr member

What do do with all the empties...BEER GARDEN!

Doesn't have a ton to do with mountain biking, but I think a few of these empties were post ride recovery drinks.

Before:

After:

We had been looking for alternative garden border ideas (didn't like what was available at Lowes/HD) and my wife came across some folks using wine or beer bottles. She liked the look and convinced me to move forward on the project with the beer bottles I had saved up for home brewing. We really like the end result.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I figured I had to share. May give you guys/gals some creative ideas for your empties.
    Signature

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Impressive.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Very cool!
    My kids would destroy that in a matter of minutes
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    cool idea. To expand on this it would be neat to see a variation of bottle colors (brown, blue, green, clear) and maybe remove the labels IMO. Could even put small lights in a few to create a lighted walkway like the solar powered ones.

Beer Please!
    That is a great idea, did you mortar between them? I am just wondering how you keep the dirt in, or does the pressure of the bottles against each other do a good enough job?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    The dirt packed in on the one side is enough to keep them in place. I am thinking about putting that really fine paver sand that you water in on the side against the concrete walk to further help lock them in place and help prevent weeds from growing.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    cool

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Very cool!
    My kids would destroy that in a matter of minutes
    heh, that might a problem but crazy idea anyway!

If you think you can
    Looks awesome. But won't watering the plants eventually make the labels come off? Or just rain?
    I wonder if putting a layer of varnish or shellac over the labels would help to preserve them?

NONDURO
    That Voodoo Doughnut bottle clashes with your house unfortunately.

Meanwhile, Iíve been observing a 3% return on investment recycling my empties. When my kids help me recycle, I always let them split the money, otherwise if I do it all myself Iíll turn around and buy more beer with the money.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona View Post
    Looks awesome. But won't watering the plants eventually make the labels come off? Or just rain?
    I wonder if putting a layer of varnish or shellac over the labels would help to preserve them?
    Probably will eventually come off. If/when they do I'm cool with blank bottles or ripping them out. Want to rip up that concrete walk and put in some pavers...when that happens I will get rid of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    That Voodoo Doughnut bottle clashes with your house unfortunately.

Meanwhile, Iíve been observing a 3% return on investment recycling my empties. When my kids help me recycle, I always let them split the money, otherwise if I do it all myself Iíll turn around and buy more beer with the money.
    Haha...that is why I put it up at that front corner. We get no money for recycling/returning glass bottles here.
    Signature

Beer Please!
    All my glass goes into a recycle bin that the trash company takes away, not really worth the $2.50 to save up 500lbs of glass to haul to the recycling machine.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Haha...that is why I put it up at that front corner. We get no money for recycling/returning glass bottles here.
    What state are you in?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Beer Me!
    Very cool !
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    What state are you in?
    Florida
    Signature

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Florida
    OK, lots of different things going on in your state. However, Iíd somehow expected recycling would exist there.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Does this seem kind of dangerous to anyone else? Both from a sharp broken bottle and lawn mower standpoint and from a "readily available missiles for ne'er-do-wells" position? Otherwise it looks like a fine example of bottle recycling for a decorative purpose.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

A Little Flying Glass (Almost) Never Killed Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Does this seem kind of dangerous to anyone else?
    Would you care to provide relevant citations from the literature before offering such broad speculation? And what is the average population morbidity differential for users of gasoline vs. electric-powered weed wacker?

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Would you care to provide relevant citations from the literature before offering such broad speculation? And what is the average population morbidity differential for users of gasoline vs. electric-powered weed wacker?
    I can offer only anecdotal evidence on this one but I've noticed that a lot of people love the sound of breaking glass.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Does this seem kind of dangerous to anyone else? Both from a sharp broken bottle and lawn mower standpoint and from a "readily available missiles for ne'er-do-wells" position?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Rogue Exterminator
    I really want to tell you how cool that is, but I can't.

Sorry, just looks tacky as hell.
    Something more like what you would expect at a frat house.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post